3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Canned Pumpkin Uses??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/143477-canned-pumpkin-uses.html)

RememberHowToSmile 06-09-2008 10:35 PM

Canned Pumpkin Uses???

I was at the store yesterday and decided to buy some canned pumpkin. The problem is I bought it without knowing what to use it for. I decided that it would be a good way to add fiber and vitimans to my diet but need some suggestions of uses.

LindseyLouWho 06-09-2008 11:15 PM

Ooh, canned pumpkin. Let's see... you can stir it into your oatmeal, along with some cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract and the sweetener of your choice to have pumpkin spice oatmeal. I just tried Meg's recipe for Baked Pumpkin Custard that was absolutely delicious. There's also the possibility of stirring a little into your spaghetti sauce or other pasta sauce (maybe a savory creamy pumpkin sauce?).

mandalinn82 06-09-2008 11:44 PM

You could also spice it up and stuff it into fresh pasta for ravioli.

I bake mine into whole wheat pumpkin cakes...pumpkin makes a wonderful fat/egg substitute in baked goods.

kaplods 06-09-2008 11:55 PM

I've made chocolate muffins, using a devil's food cake mix and a can of pumpkin (a recipe I found on Hungry Girl), and bake according to the box. The batter is really thick, but the muffins turn out great.

A friend told me she adds it to chili to thicken. I want to try this, but haven't yet.

As long as it's an unflavored, and not a pie spiced pumpkin, I've used it as a substitute for squash. Just heat and serve with light butter or drizzled with bacon onion topping as a side dish. Not a fan of "sweet" vegetables, my mom would dice onion and bacon and put the mixture in the hollow of a squash such as acorn and bake. Not diet friendly because she used one whole bacon strip per serving. The trick to diet-friendly squash this way is to use only one slice of bacon, dice it very, very finely use a lot of onion and saute it first, then sprinkle it sparingly on the whole dish (several servings) of cooked pumpkin or squash (cooked from fresh or canned).

WebRover 06-10-2008 02:35 AM

1 box low-fat brownie mix, 1 can pumpkin, mix well, add nothing else (no egg, no water, no oil) and bake according to the package instructions.

1 large box ff sf vanilla pudding, one can of pumpkin, 1 cup ff cool whip, 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1/2 tsp cinammon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg). Mix together and chill.

nelie 06-10-2008 09:54 AM

I stir it in with beans, diced tomatoes, garlic, onions, tomato sauce and some spices for a chili like dish.

Mom2QJandT 06-10-2008 10:13 AM

1 can of pumpkin mixed with a spice cake mix makes great muffins. I add a little water because the batter is really thick. Bake as directed on the box.

Tomato 06-10-2008 03:29 PM

I love canned pumpkin. I have a terrific recipe for a bundt cake (and I would be happy to share if anyone wants) it but unfortunately, it is very calorie rich. Per the original recipe, one slice has whopping 385 calories, although I am sure mine has less because I use a lot less oil and a lot less sugar (I am doing it pretty mch with every recipe because I don't like overly sweet stuff). I also use more dried fruit and a lot more pumpkin than what the recipe calls for.

Also, you can use canned pumpkin for pumpkin soup - one of my favourites.

mayness 06-10-2008 06:46 PM

I've been getting the Hungry Girl newsletters for 4 years now :lol: and she loves using canned pumpkin in all sorts of recipes, so that's the first thing I thought of. You could search hungry-girl.com for "canned pumpkin." Click here and check out the second half of the page, there are links to a few of her recipes... that page has mostly healthier versions of desserts.

artsnsmarts 06-10-2008 10:13 PM

LindsayLou -- there is a GREAT recipe on the foodnetwork website that can be "healthified" very very easily. Search pumpkin sausage pasta. SO DELICIOUS I almost died when I made it. I used the entire can of pumpkin, TJs whole grain pasta, less cream, and some more spices. So. freaking. delicious.

LindseyLouWho 06-10-2008 11:33 PM

Artsnsmarts, that's just the kind of recipe I was imagining! It sounds wonderful. I might have to try it this week when I'll be cooking dinner for both of my brothers.