Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-17-2008, 09:58 AM   #31  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

there are tons of hummus recipes if you google them.

Its basically chickpeas, tahini, garlic and lemon juice. Although some recipes call for olive oil, I've never put any in mine. I've also wanted to try cauliflower hummus which is low calorie and sounds good
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:59 AM   #32  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I love the book More With Less. In it there are recipes for making all kinds of mixes (biscuit, pancake, soup, baked goods, etc.). I also use a Soyabella to make my own soy milk (and I can make tofu, but I haven't yet).
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:59 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

My daughter and I made dumplings together. I am always looking for creative ways to get more veggies in her diet. I didn't use a recipe, but a tad of cannola oil to stir fry a little chicken breast with a lot of veggies and some spices for the filling (used the food processor on it). She loved using the dumpling press to stuff the pre-made wonton wrappers. I steamed up a large batch and the leftovers are frozen. They were really good and diet friendly too!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:22 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

What great ideas! Homemade cheese? I will have to look that up. Would love some fresh mozzarela.

Yoyoma, are you a cellist? Your dumplings sound terrific.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:23 PM   #35  
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

So weighted beans do yield fatter sprouts....by quite a bit! I should have taken pictures, but the ones that I set the cans on were a lot fatter than the ones without. They almost looked like ones from the store, just a little shorter. This is some tasty stuff. I'm working on a batch of adzuki beans now =) You guys are the best coming up with stuff to make. I'm going to make some dumplings with some sprouts stir fried in =P
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:33 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Hummus is super easy. I made a batch just tonight - then I package it in little Glad bowls in 1/4 cup servings, so I can just grab one to take to work for a snack.

1 can chickpeas (or great northern beans, or really any bean you want to try it with)
1 or 2 cloves garlic (depends on how garlicky you like things)
1 T tahini paste (sunflower seed paste)
1-2 T olive oil
1 T lemon juice
salt to taste

Whirl it all up in a food processor or blender (I use my little Cuisinart mini-prep which is just the right size). If you let it sit overnight, the flavors will blend better.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:43 AM   #37  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
1 T tahini paste (sunflower seed paste)
Psst! Tahini is sesame seed paste.

I like to make it with other beans too, just like you do. It is so good!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:45 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Ack.

You're right. I am munching on sunflower seeds right now - talk about a freudian slip!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:47 AM   #39  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I have been eating sunflower seeds today too. It is hot and I should avoid the salty stuff, but they safely take care of my snacking urges!!!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:11 AM   #40  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Gail - mozzarella takes 30 minutes to make, and makes a great party activity. Imagine inviting your friends over for a party, making your own mozzarella with the help of your friends, then having sliced tomatoes, basil, and the fresh mozzarella for starters, and making homemade whole wheat crust pizzas for dinner! You don't have much prep work to do (you can even buy the dough at TJs) and everyone will have a great time.

This is a great kit for learning how to make mozzarella and ricotta.
http://www.cheesemaking.com/store/p/...cotta-Kit.html
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Oh, Amanda, I am drooling - caprese, no? We will soon have ripe tomatoes, and I have basil growing in my flower bed....

I started to read a little about cheese this weekend, but my dial-up was very cranky. I got as far as where it basically says "sterilize your kitchen". Hmm...I can't wait to read the link above.

I just "harvested" - ie dumped out into another container, my second batch of sprouts.

A bit later: I just requested Rikki Carroll's book from the library. I am all excited that I might be able to make one of my own, personal worst, trigger foods AT HOME. I need to remember my mission to reach goal sometime this century.

Last edited by gailr42; 05-19-2008 at 02:47 PM.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote