Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #1  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

Question I need a GOOD source of PROTEIN...can you help?

I am looking for a very good source of protein. I am thinking a mix or shake type that I can have in the morning would be best for me. I dont eat a ton of meat or eggs so I know I am not getting enough protein in my diet. I am supposed to avoid SOY since I have thyroid issues...so I would probably need something that isnt SOY based. Any ideas? I like the idea of having it in the morning and just replacing my breakfast with it.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #2  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

How about yogurt? It's funny I'm sitting here eating yogurt and granola as I'm reading posts.
Some mornings I have frozen berries, yogurt, and a splash of milk. Super easy smoothies. Very filling. I wouldn't ever buy a mix or powder I'd have to add to my little smoothie ritual, but some people put in flax or other protein supplements.
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #3  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

I have been looking for additional sources of protein as well. I have been eating Fat Free Ricotta Cheese instead of yogurt. It has a greater amount of protein 18 grams (much less carbs). Also Kashi Go Lean Crunch has 9 grams of protein per cup. Tuna and Cheese are also good sources of protein.

Good Luck.
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #4  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

A good source of protein that's not meat, eggs or soy? That's a tough call! They do make whey protein powder, which can be mixed into a shake. The version I use is zero carb isopure--and it has 25g protein per scoop (also 105 cal per scoop), and comes in several different flavors. They don't taste fantastic, but they're edible.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #5  
Gettin Closer!!

Azure, I will check that out, that is kinda what I may be looking for, being that I think I am getting less than 1/2 the protein I should be getting and I think that is 75% of the weight issue that I have. I think if I can start the day with a HIGH protein meal/shake then I wont be as hungry later in the day...even if I had something like this at lunch that may be even better for me since I get the bad afternoon hungries plus I am never eating protein at lunch because I dont have time or something that is very easy to make. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220 / 180/ 160

Height: 5'8"

I second the protein shakes. The one my boyfriend and I buy - which you can get at walmart - is actually fairly tasty. I wouldn't say it's fantastic - but it DOES taste decent. 1 scoop is 100 calories - 3 g carbs and 26 g protein. it comes in chocolate or vanilla. and of course, for the life of me, i can't remember the name of it...but i know on the front it'll say "52g protein" - which is for 2 scoops, of course...it's in the HBA department where the "diet" foods are.
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Greek yogurt is an awesome protein source...2/3 a cup is 80 calories and like 14 grams of protein.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #8  
Gettin Closer!!

Thanks, I just ordered some "egg protein" since it is supposedly easier to digest. I am supposed to avoid soy and the whey protein is (i think) a little too much dairy for me, so I will try this, it was fairly cheap I think...time will tell if I like it. I plan to mix it with fruit or yogurt to get a little boost since I will use it at noon I think. I will give it a couple weeks to try and see what happens.

Madalinn- I will look for some greek yogurt next time I am in the city....what section is it in? the "natural foods" or usually just with all the other yogurt?

Last edited by StillTryin; 04-15-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

With the regular yogurt. I like Fage brand (the others I've tried don't taste as good and creamy), 0% fat.

I put berries with it, and a little splenda...mmm. It's soooooo decadent tasting.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:08 AM   #10  
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

What about beans too? Sounds weird, but I love I to eat beans in the morning sweetened with a little bit of honey or brown sugar. Yellow split peas or red beans taste the best sweetened and they are high in protein and fiber to get your day going. I just make a huge pot on the weekend, portion it out and stored in the freezer. I'd eat it just like you would oatmeal in the morning.
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #11  
Gettin Closer!!

Gastro, I will keep the beans in mind, thanks!

Mandalinn-I will keep my eye open for the Fage. I looked it up online and dont think they sell it within 200 miles of my home, but I will check next time I am in the city!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #12  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Here are some of my favorite sources of protein that aren't meat, soy, or eggs:
  • cottage cheese (14g protein per serving)
  • yogurt (20g protein per serving)
  • oatmeal or oat bran (5g to 7g protein per serving)
  • 50-calorie La Tortilla Factory wrap (check the ingredients to make sure there's no soy in them) with laughing cow cheese (7.5g protein)
  • kippered herring or sardines (ok, technically a meat, but totally different than chicken or beef so maybe you would like it) (16g protein per serving)
  • Yogurt Vegetable Salad: 1/4 cup nonfat yogurt, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1/4 cup garbanzo beans, 2.5 oz diced cucumber, 1.5 oz halved cherry tomatoes (or diced roasted red peppers if tomatoes aren't available), 1 tbsp minced fresh mint or basil, sea salt and pepper (or lemon pepper). This is one serving and it comes in at about 80 calories and 9g of protein.
  • refried beans (7g protein per serving). Eat it on a Tortilla Factory low carb wrap and you've got another 5g of protein. Add a laughing cow cheese wedge to the wrap and you have a total of 14.5 g of protein for less than 200 calories.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 04-17-2008 at 08:53 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #13  
Gettin Closer!!

I just posted a new thread on what I did...check it out!
Also, funny thing Gastro, last night a friend gave me a "beans" cookbook...she didnt even know I was looking for something like that...lol
Old 04-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #14  
Gettin Closer!!

Mandalinn, I found some Greek Yogurt at walmart last night. It is definitely different but not bad, just will take a little to get used to. It is about the consistency of sour cream, but taste better.lol I got a plain kind that has 22 grams protein, and I grabbed 2 fruit flavored ones but they only have 13 grams..so I think I will use the plain in my protein smoothie, that will give me like 60 grams of protein per smoothie. It will be like 350 calories, but since I will be replacing lunch with it, that will be OK.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:13 AM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Honestly, it really depends on your individual needs but is there a reason you don't think you get enough protein? You don't have to eat meat, dairy or eggs to get plenty of protein.

Beans/legumes are a great source of protein
Vegetables all have some level of protein, especially green leafy ones
Bananas have protein
Whole grains have protein (some like quinoa are a complete protein)

As for protein powders, I use hemp or hemp protein powder mixes. They are a good source of EFAs as well as protein.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote