Bread Crumb Replacement?

• Is there something I can use to replace traditional breadcrumbs in a recipe where it is used as a binding agent? For example I'm making baked falafel tomorrow and the recipe calls for a pretty substantial measurement of bread crumbs. Would wheat germ work? What about panko bread crumbs, are they any better or worse than traditional breadcrmbs?
  • well, i just ate some oven fried chicken with ground up shredded wheat instead of bread crumbs. wasn't bad!
    s
  • Steel cut oats?
  • I've used crushed whole wheat pretzels. Adjust salt in recipe if you use salted ones.
  • Fiber One cereal is awesome as bread crumbs. Just throw it in your blender or food processor and make it dust. I've made jalapeno poppers, chicken parm, and onion rings with it. So easy to make higher calorie foods lower cal and more dietary beneficial.

~Heather
  • wisher.....let me know how the baked falafel taste and send me the rec if its good. I love falafel and baked....what a healthier way
  • I have some wheat germ at home so I guess I'll try that since I don't have the other things mentioned (and I'm poor as can be right now so no shopping!). I will definitely let you know how it goes!
  • I don't think breadcrumbs are bad if the are whole wheat. I use whole wheat panko or I make them from whole wheat bread at home.

For binding purposes, whole wheat flour would work as would whole grain crackers crumbled.
  • If you have a food processor, you can make your own bread crumbs from whole wheat bread. Just tear up the bread and process it until it is crumbs. This is a great use for stale bread. I make a bunch and keep it in the freezer.

Oatmeal is also a great binding agent and often used instead of bread crumbs in meatloaf, meatballs, etc. I don't know why it wouldn't also work in falafel. I'd bet you could also use oat bran, which is a finer grain than oatmeal but just as healthy.