Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-07-2008, 03:50 AM   #31  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

snapless, it just goes to show that everyone's taste is different. I also get the La Tortilla multigrain wraps or sometimes I get their sun-dried tomato variety, but I think both taste very close to cardboard. They work for holding a wrap together, but I definitely wish I could find something I liked better for the same calories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
Hey Barbara - Nope, they aren't new at our store; I've been getting them for at least 2 years. I am going to TJ's tomorrow, so I'll post the full nutritional info for you. Yes, they are small, but they are a staple in our house.

I hope you can find them, although different TJ's carry different items. I remember your raves about TJs egg white egg salad - I look for that every time I'm there, hoping ours will start carrying it. No luck yet!
Bummer. I'll have to scour my TJ's for them; maybe I've just missed them. Where does your TJ's stock them--are they with the tortillas and pitas?

Maybe you could ask your TJ's to start carrying the egg white salad. It's called Egg White Salad and it comes in spicy ranchero, original chive, and salmon and dill flavors. I just happen to have a tub in my fridge right now so I can tell that you the SKU for the spicy ranchero flavor is 0086 5500 (or 86550, it's listed both ways on the package).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:10 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
snapless, it just goes to show that everyone's taste is different. I also get the La Tortilla multigrain wraps or sometimes I get their sun-dried tomato variety, but I think both taste very close to cardboard. They work for holding a wrap together, but I definitely wish I could find something I liked better for the same calories.
Have you considered making your own or purchasing fresh from a local Mexican food restaurant?

Read this article for a basic idea on how to make flour tortillas:
http://www.texascooking.com/features...rtortillas.htm

I recommend using the Sonoran recipe and modifying it (whole grain flour and olive oil instead of all purpose flour and shortening, you might even try adding other things to the mix, like grinding up your own sun-dried tomato slices).

I'm from TX and there are restaurants there where you can purchase all kinds of mexican food 'style' ingredients, including whole grain wraps made fresh.

Personally if I were back in the US with a normal sized kitchen, I'd be making my own. But with the extremely limited counter space and packaged products I have available here, I'll stick with the La Tortilla multigrains.

EDIT: PS: One of the reasons I think I like my wraps so much is I cover the entire inside of the wrap with a thin film of dijonaisse before I build it. Adds a lot of flavor.

Last edited by snapless; 07-07-2008 at 04:11 AM.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #33  
Constant Vigilance

Snapless, I'm really looking for something that is a lot lower in calories. That recipe makes eight 7 or 8 inch tortillas that are going to come in at around 120 calories each, even if I use whole wheat flour. For that size wrap, I want it to be around 50 calories. The La Tortilla wraps work for me because they are super large for their 100 calories, so a lot of times I only need to eat half.

Same goes for tortillas from local restaurants--they are all going to be too high in calories. In fact, in most cases, I wouldn't even be able to find out the nutritional info for them.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:49 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hey Barbara - I went to TJ's today, so I'm going to post the info for you on the wraps. They are in the refrigerated section with the other wraps (near produce). I was rushed today, but I may request the egg salad sometime. I have asked about it before, and the employee went to the back. Her answer was just that "Our store doesn't carry that at this time." I am an egg fanatic, specifically an egg white fanatic. DH likes to say I'm going to turn into an egg. I know I would love that egg salad!

They're called Reduced Carb Whole Wheat Tortillas (like I said, I am not on a low carb regime, but I just like these, and they're very low cal- they work well for type 1 diabetic DH too)

They are SMALL 1 tortilla is one ounce - about 6.5 inches. DH wants to know what I'm doing with the tape measure and the tortillas in the office!

50 Cal
2.5 fat (0 sat. fat)
6 carbs
2 fiber (thought it was higher)
3 protein

The other ones I get at Super WalMart (yech, but it's 5 minutes away, and TJ's is 30 minutes away) are good too.

Buena Vida for Low Carb diets whole wheat- these are a little bigger - about 7 inches
70 cal
4 fat (0 sat fat)
7 carb
3 fiber
4 protein

Both of these wraps are small, so if you are happy with your the La Tortilla, you may just want to stick with them. I personally like them BECAUSE they are small - great for a quick breakfast burrito, sandwich, "pizza" or whatever. I do sometimes eat 2 of them for lunch if I don't have much else to supplement my lunch. Hope you can find them, so you can try them out.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:51 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Snapless -- I LOVE homemade tortillas! They remind me of my childhood. We lived in Texas when I was three, and my parents got hooked on pintos, homemade tortillas, and other Tex/Mex homemade fare. They make the homemade tortillas still about once a year when they get the urge. Yum.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:14 AM   #36  
Constant Vigilance

Thanks for the info, Walking. I'd prefer a small wrap, so long as it isn't 120 calories. I often end up cutting the La Tortilla wraps in half, which is a little awkward--they end up in a half circle shape that doesn't hold filling well (so they taste like cardboard and my filling spills out--nope, I'm definitely not happy with them). If I could find a small wrap that I like that is only 50 calories, that would be perfect. If I have more filling than fits in one wrap, I can always divide the filling between two wraps. I haven't scoured TJ's refrigerated section for them, I was looking over by the bread, so maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 07-08-2008 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:22 AM   #37  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I love the Flat out wraps. I also use those for a thin crust pizza. Just put on sauce, cheese and turkey pepperoni. Toaster oven for 3-4 minutes, yum!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:40 PM   #38  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

heres a le tortillia wrap tip, cook the wrap in a skillet with olive oil pam cooking spray and favorite seasonings (after you have it filled) and it makes it really good. a little crunchy and a lot less cardboardy
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:38 PM   #39  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

I love Joseph's brand pita's, wraps, and tortillas. I buy the flax, oat, and whole wheat ones. A small pita is sandwich size and only 45 calories. And very very yummy.

Unfortunately, I believe these are only available in the north east. But they are worth trying to track down.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #40  

I mainly use lettuce leaves (bibb, red/green leaf, romaine) and whole wheat tortilla shells. Cabbage leaves are good as well.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote