Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-15-2008, 08:14 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 297(135) / 218(99) / 176(80)

Height: Just shy of 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipernoswiper View Post
i put everything in a wrap, peanut butter, spaghetti sauce and grated romano cheese, ham and cheese, chicken<snip>
I got about this far before realising that this wasn't all in the one wrap!

I use either mountain bread or lavash for wraps.

You can make unfried spring rolls using rice paper wraps and say, bbq chicken with grated veggies like zucchini and carrot, and tiny-dice onion and capsicum. Tasty and amazingly filling and you won't believe how low in calories rice paper wraps are. Weird rubbery texture, but I like that. Only problem is, although they're really tasty they're surprisingly easy to get bored with, which is a bit of a shame. Not sure why that is, but I found that any more than once a fortnight and I went right off them for ages. *shrug*

Last edited by AussieDaria; 04-15-2008 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Noticed gastronome also mentioned rice paper wraps. Left it in anyway, but re-worded a little.
AussieDaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #17  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieDaria View Post
I got about this far before realising that this wasn't all in the one wrap!

I use either mountain bread or lavash for wraps.

You can make unfried spring rolls using rice paper wraps and say, bbq chicken with grated veggies like zucchini and carrot, and tiny-dice onion and capsicum. Tasty and amazingly filling and you won't believe how low in calories rice paper wraps are. Weird rubbery texture, but I like that. Only problem is, although they're really tasty they're surprisingly easy to get bored with, which is a bit of a shame. Not sure why that is, but I found that any more than once a fortnight and I went right off them for ages. *shrug*
OK. How long is a "fortnight"?

So far I've found tortillas only. Where are these lavash and other wraps? They are not on the shelves with the tortillas.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #18  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Probably more than you wanted to know:

Fortnight
From Wikipedia
The fortnight is a unit of time equivalent to fourteen days. The word derives from the Old English feorwertyne niht, meaning "fourteen nights".[1]

The word is common in Britain, Ireland and many Commonwealth countries such as India and Australia where many wages, salaries and most social security benefits are paid on a fortnightly basis.[2] The fortnight is rarely used in United States of America, but is used regionally in Canada. It is also the base unit of time in the humorous FFF System of units.

In many languages, there is no single word for a two-week period and the equivalents of "two weeks" or "fourteen days" have to be used. Payroll systems may use the term bi-weekly in reference to pay periods every two weeks. In Spanish, Italian, French and in Portuguese, there are the terms quincena, quindici giorni, quinzaine and quinzena, all meaning "fifteen days". Similarly, in Greek, the term dekapenthimero meaning "fifteen days" is also used. In Arabic the short term "أسبوعان" (two weeks) is commonly used and the longer term "خمسة عشر يوماً" (fifteen days) is used to a lesser extent. In Hebrew the term "שבועיים" (two weeks) is commonly used.

Last edited by SkinnyDogMom; 04-17-2008 at 03:18 PM.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #19  

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
OK. How long is a "fortnight"?

So far I've found tortillas only. Where are these lavash and other wraps? They are not on the shelves with the tortillas.

I get the lavash at BJ's and they're at the bakery section. At the supermarket they have them in the deli section, right in front of the deli counter, I shop at Shaw's and I've seen them in the same spot at Stop & Shop.
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #20  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I use La Tortilla Factory wraps but I have to admit I think they taste pretty cardboardy. Unfortunately they are the only low cal wrap carried in any of the grocery stores in my area (believe me, I've looked).

I do like Trader Joe's whole wheat pitas, which are only 130 calories per pita, but I think they'd break apart if you tried to roll them up like a wrap (but you could stuff them).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #21  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Thanks for the descriptions of a fortnight.

I'll look more carefully for the wraps. Blue, we live pretty close. If I find them, I'll let you know where.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:32 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 250/150/135

Height: 5'4

I like roast beef, cheese, lots of mayo, tomato and alfalfa sprouts. I'm on low carb though and get the 3 carb tortillas.
ShannanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Another satisfied Flat Out customer, I just made a roast-beef wrap for lunch today. I've also tried them as pizza crusts but have to be sure not to cook them too long. I'm now using the white whole-wheat

Last edited by ANOther; 05-01-2008 at 01:00 PM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

SkinnyDogMom, thanks for the info on fortnight. I love trivia.

I had a wrap at Costco yesterday. I've never had one before and I liked it except as an earlier poster mentioned, it seemed like it should be warm. Sort of damp and doughy cold.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:04 PM   #25  

I try to get low fat tortillas at wal-mart, not sure what brand, and I use them in place of bread for sandwiches, wraps, pizza, quesadillas, egg rolls, etc.

Top with Peanut butter and jelly, cream cheese & Jelly, stuff with eggwhites, cheese, ham, turkey bacon, veggies, tuna or chicken salad, roast beef, turkey, chicken, use as pizza crust by topping with chicken and bbq sauce and cheese, make tacos, quesadillas, etc.

I love tortillas, and have started using them for EVERYTHING, so much so, that my hubby asks ''where's the bread'? now.
fourangelsmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #26  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've also used the rice paper viatnamese spring roll rappers (they sort of look like dried gelatin).

The other day I made a wrap with a large sheet of nori (the seaweed sheets used for sushi). It was very good, but I should have let it stand on the counter a few minutes, and/or used a moiser filling, to allow the nori to soften more before eating (it would have made biting through the wrapper easier).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:21 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I don't eat bread at home, so wraps are frequent thing for me to eat. I use either Buena Vida Reduced Carb Whole Wheat wraps (I'm not a low carber, but these have only 70 calories and I think 5 grams of fiber!!) or Trader Joe's Low Carb Wheat wraps (these are smaller and have only 50 calories ...yea!!). Both of these taste good and work well with a smear of hummus and veggies or a breakfast burrito, turkey and cheese, mini "pizzas" or whatever. The Buena Vida are from WalMart of all places (in refrig section).

I do like Flat Outs too.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #28  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
...or Trader Joe's Low Carb Wheat wraps (these are smaller and have only 50 calories ...yea!!).
Really! I've never seen these at my Trader Joe's. Maybe they are a new product--I'm going to have to keep an eye out for them.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Copied from another thread I posted it in...

I use the La Tortilla Factory's multigrain (12g fiber!) which is made with 5 whole grains and extra virgin olive oil.

100 calories
3.5 grams total fat
- 0.5 grams saturated fat
- 0 grams trans fat
- 0 grams polyunsaturated fat
- 2 grams monounsaturated fat
0 mg cholesterol
290 mg sodium
17 grams total carbs
12 grams dietary fiber
1 gram sugar
8 grams protein

And I love the way they taste too. I also use them as my 'dough' for my homemade pizzas.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:47 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hey Barbara - Nope, they aren't new at our store; I've been getting them for at least 2 years. I am going to TJ's tomorrow, so I'll post the full nutritional info for you. Yes, they are small, but they are a staple in our house.

I hope you can find them, although different TJ's carry different items. I remember your raves about TJs egg white egg salad - I look for that every time I'm there, hoping ours will start carrying it. No luck yet!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote