Favorite High-End Grocery Store Foods

• Tomorrow I have a rare opportunity to shop at a high-end grocery store (the store is Andronico's and it's somewhat similar to Whole Foods). I have a few things on my list that I want to look for, like special flours, salad dressings, and hot cereal, but I want to make the most of this opportunity. What are some of your favorite, diet-friendly foods that you buy at specialty grocery stores that you can't get at the mainstream stores?
  • Oooh I just googled Andronico and I'm in envy I think that high quality non-traditional foods easily fit into a diet because food quality matters. There's a sticky at the top of this forum asking about gourmet and specialty foods that make your diet easier, maybe it will provide some tips for your shopping trip. Please let us know what goodies you bring home
  • Mmmm, Andronicos.

Do you like olives? You've gotta stop at the olive bar and get some olives. Heck, stop and get a giant salad from the salad bar for dinner. But that wasn't exactly your question...

What about finding more unique versions of things you already eat? Usually using plain-ol-brown-rice? Try finding some brown rice blends by a small producer. Eat cereal for breakfast? Find a specialty cereal with nutrition stats you love. "Upgrade" your spice blends. Buy some high quality olive oil. Little upgrades make a BIG difference in flavor.
  • Definetely check out the produce section. I love Whole Foods and I'm fortunate enough to have a few around. I wish I had Trader Joes close by, but the closest one is about an hour drive.

I love the produce section at Whole Foods, I find fruits and vegetables that my regular supermarket doesn't carry. Like different types of peppers, mushrooms, leafy greens. Their selection of organic frozen fruits/vegetables is also nice. Whole Foods also has a "bulk" section where you can find grains, nuts, etc that are prices very reasonably since they're in bulk. Check out meat substitutes, they tend to carry a wider selection than the traditional supermarkets. Don't forget to check out frozen meals too.

I looooove going to specialty stores, I googled Andronico's, and they're only in CA, that's a little far for me. Have fun with your shopping!