Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-12-2008, 08:23 AM   #1  

Default Oatmeal -Suggestion

Hi
So yesterday a lot of you told me to eat Steel cut oatmeal, I have 2 questions, what's the difference between regular oatmeal and this?

Most importantly, how do you eat it? Plain is not that great then if I flavour it, I am adding calories and/or sugar?

Thanks!

Oh, and Day 2 of my diet, I have lost one pound.

Last edited by Mayson; 03-12-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Mayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:44 AM   #2  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I think what you meant was steel cut oatmeal, right? I'm not 100% sure, but I do know that most steel-cut oatmeal is the "natural" instead of the "instant" variety, and it typically has more fiber in it. Quaker's "Old Fashioned" oats are steel cut, I believe.

And it depends on what you flavor it with if it adds calories. I love adding cinnamon, a splash of vanilla extract, and a packet of Splenda (or a few drops of Stevia) to oatmeal--that doesn't add any calories. For a special treat, I'd add 1/4 cup of pumpkin, cinnamon, vanilla and Splenda or Stevia--it adds a few extra calories (but also more fiber!), and it's almost like pumpkin pie.

I haven't done oatmeal in awhile, but those are two of my favorite ways to eat it.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: Unhealthy/see ticker/happy

Height: 5ft 9in

Default Heard this on a radio talk show

Some fitness/diet guru was talking about what he does with clients for breakfast. Anyway, he said to take your oatmeal(steelcut or Quaker old fashioned), add enough milk or soymilk(=more protein) so its sorta liquidy. let it sit in the fridge overnight(8hrs) and warm in microwave in the morning. Yummy!!!!!Try it before you judge.
He also said to add raisins but I'm OK with just the oatmeal, up to you.

Last edited by scrappinRN; 03-12-2008 at 09:50 AM. Reason: forgot one thing
scrappinRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #4  
Oh Me Oh My

S/C/G: 196/192/140

Height: 5'6" - I am shrinking!

First off, let me tell you that I have always HATED oatmeal - ick, yuck, ick!
Regular oatmeal, either long cooking or instant are those flat little flakes. You know the kind I mean - you use them for oatmeal cookies.

Then I heard about this "Steel Cut" and I bought some. The oatmeal looks like little grains of sand, not flat flakes so I knew it was gonna be different. It takes about 45 minutes to cook from start to finish and yeah, the water does get a little slimy.

I thought, oh great, this is gonna be really bad. THEN, when it was done, I added 1/4 cup of Lite No sugar added maple syrup. The 1/2 cup of oatmeal is 300 calories and 4 points, the syrup is 35 calories and 1 point.

Guess what? I LOVE it. The oatmeal is more of a rounded form and a firmer texture than those instant flakes. I believe you get more bang for your buck.

Fills me up till my break at 9:00 am. You really should try this - add different things - fruit, brown sugar or anything that will keep you enjoying this.

Keep up the good work!
2old2quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #5  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

S/C/G: 284/146/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayson View Post
Hi
So yesterday a lot of you told me to eat Steel cut oatmeal, I have 2 questions, what's the difference between regular oatmeal and this?

Oats are one of the most nutritious of grains. Whole oats must be processed before they can be eaten. They are cleaned, toasted and hulled to make oat groats.

Scotch oats, steel-cut oats and Irish oatmeal are groats that have been cut into pieces but not rolled. Most of the oats sold in America have been further processed. Groats are steamed and flattened into flakes to make regular rolled oats, often called old-fashioned oats. Further processing yields quick-cooking rolled oats. Instant oats have been precooked and dried, requiring only the addition of boiling water. The more processed the oats, the less chewy the texture they have when cooked.

I use & love both the steel-cut & old-fashioned oats. I don't use the quick or instant varieties though & NEVER those flavored ones.
suesully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:21 PM   #6  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

I love oatmeal. I use to put a little bit of margarine on it and a sprinkle of brown sugar. Now I just cook it and add some skim milk or unsweetened almond milk and a sprinkle of raisins.
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

suesully -- HOW do you ever know so much about oats?? haha!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #8  

Thanks for your answers. I will have a look at the store, all I have ever noticed is the flat flakes, the old fashioned kind. I guess it can also mean acquiring a taste for it
Mayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
most steel-cut oatmeal is the "natural" instead of the "instant" variety, and it typically has more fiber in it. Quaker's "Old Fashioned" oats are steel cut, I believe.
Steel-cut, old-fashioned, and instant are 3 totally different kinds of oatmeal. As someone above mention, steel-cut is the whole grain, it looks like grains of sand, takes longer to cook, and is "chewier." Old-fashioned is large flakes, and cooks more quickly (2-3 minutes in the microwave), and while not as "natural" as steel-cut, is much more nutritious than instant. Instant oatmeal bears very little resemblence to the other two types. The grain has been pulverized so it mixes quickly with hot water, but to me (and this is just my opinion) it's dreadful. And then when you add artifical flavoring..... ewwww.

And unless you're in a place where's there's not a microwave, why not just use old-fashioned - it cooks just as fast. I use a 2 parts water to 1 part oats (usually 2/3 cup water, 1/3 cup oats) a shake of salt, in a good-sized bowl, and nuke it for 2.5 minutes (might be faster if you have a newer microwave - mine is ancient ), add milk, and whatever else you like, and you've got a great bowl of cereal!

I had steel-cut this morning, and while you can cook them in the microwave, be aware that not only do they take longer, they WILL boil over unless you use a small mixing bowl. Easier for me on the stove. I know that other people here do them in a slow-cooker in larger batches and reheat for breakfast. If you do a search for threads on oatmeal you'll find a lot of info.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #10  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Another way to make use of oats is to bake them into granola bars -- add a little oil/butter, some honey and your preferred mix of nuts and/or dried fruits and voila, a wholesome and healthful snack! (Of course, all those things add calories, so eat them in moderation).
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #11  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

S/C/G: 284/146/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsnsmarts View Post
suesully -- HOW do you ever know so much about oats?? haha!
Hmmm...because I love them & have them almost every day.
suesully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default cooking steel cut oats and 10 grain cereal

I got this recipe from Miss Vicki's Pressure cooker website with my variations: 1 c. water in the bottom of the electric pressure cooker, add the rack; place on top of the rack a stainless steel bowl with 1/2 c. of 10 grain cereal and 1 1/2 c of water; and some dried fruit. Pressure cook for 2 minutes and let the steam release naturally. Mine switches to warm and it stays hot for all my stragglers.

Steel cut oats: Same Pan in pan method but the steel cut oats are 1 cup, 1 tbsp of butter and a pinch of salt. Add 3 1/2 cup water to bowl. Set pressure for 5 minutes for crunchier oats and 8 minutes for creamier. Let them do a natural release. I also add dried fruit. Sometimes I will add a little apple juice to make up the 3 1/2c. water and dried apples and cinnamon. Yummy!!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote