Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #1  
Captain Obvious

Height: 5'8

Talking I <3 ARTICHOKES and 99 cent store

Strange link? Not to me, I found artichokes at my local 99 cent store. 2 for 99 cents and they were HUGE. I thought, how could I go wrong for 99 cents even if I hate them at least I could say I tried them. Well I just boiled them in salted water and ate away at the leaves and it was sooooo yummy and satisfying! The heart of the artichoke tasted sooo great and I ate all of this just plain cuz I had both of them for dinner and I'm stuffed. I'm going to go back tomorrow hoping that they have more! I also got a couple bags of seedless grapes, Sara Lee 45 calorie breads, 3 large spaghetti squashes, 1 broccoflower (cauliflower, broccoli hybrid), 3 6 packs of fiber one yogurt strawberry and a car for my son. My total was about 12 dollars! On top of this, I took a walk there with my son in the stroller so not only did I get loads of healthy foods for dirt cheap, I got some exercise in too! I'm visiting this store more often! =)
gastronome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #2  
Captain Obvious

Okay, so I got some more!!! SCORE! How do you guys like to prepare/eat your artichokes?
Old 03-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

mmmm, I love them with low-fat mayo!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 164/138/120

Height: 5'2"

Wow that is a great score!!! I didn't think 99 stores had food though? What do I know!?!

I eat them steamed plain, or with dijon vinagrette (red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, olive oil, black pepper).....I had one last night!! They are great stuffed with a bread crumb mixture, but that's not the healthiest way to go...also much more time consuming

I've never heard of mayo on them....oh my! Though, I've never seen anyone eat mayo on a french fry either.....though from what I read on message boards, I hear it's quite popular
ThePrettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #5  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

What a great buy! I wish our 99 cent stores had produce. Most foods at our 99 cent stores are very low quality high calorie things. Mainly snack type foods or high sodium canned goods.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I eat mine with low fat mayo mixed with curry. It's oh so good.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #7  
Captain Obvious

Most of the time the stuff they have isn't that great. I happened to get there right when they were restocking things from the truck so everything was super fresh and surprisingly high quality. I mostly buy my produce at the local farmers market. I noticed that these produce had the same labels that the farmers market had. I think what happened is what they didn't sell at the farmers market they sell here. The two are very close so that doesn't surprise me at all. What luck that I found this out. Now all I have to do is find out when their regular shipments come in and wait =) =)
Old 03-03-2008, 10:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

If the weather permits I love them grilled. I halve them, remove the "choke" and par-steam them for 30-45 mins depending on size. Then I brush them with olive oil, season with salt/pepper and slap them on a hot grill until they have nice grill marks on both sides. So yummy!

Otherwise I like to dip them in a garlic/mayo combo.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote