Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-01-2008, 08:55 AM   #1  
Lovin' Zumba!

Default Honey?

A lot of "natural" recipes I'm seeing these days call for honey. But, when I make them using the standard commercially available grades, I just don't like the taste - they just seem to taste too sweet/syrupy to me - even if I cut back the amount it calls for.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a better option than the honey I can find in my local chain grocery stores?
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #2  
it's always something

Do you have any locally made honey? Maybe you could check your yellow pages for apiaries and see if anything is listed. I've bought honey at farmers markets and have never been disappointed.

Have you experimented with different types of honey? There can be a wide variance in flavors and consistencies. I just bought some buckwheat honey and it's really good, though it's similar to molasses in both appearance and flavor. I've heard great things about Branches honey.

ChefShop offers some imported and gourmet honeys that sound fantastic http://www.chefshop.com/items.asp?CC...TpStatus=0&Bc=

I usually use agave nectar instead of honey. It's very similar in flavor and appearance, and I don't think it's as sweet. It's also very earth friendly
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I buy locally produced raw honey. It's darker in color, has more antioxidents, is not quite as sweet. Locally produced honey is supposed to help a bit with allergies, too, or so I'm told.
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote