Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-16-2008, 11:40 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Anybody brave enough to try eggplant pancakes?

There's a recipe in this month's Today's Diet & Nutrition magazine... for eggplant pancakes. I'm not quite convinced whether I should try them or not, especially since the article that accompanied the recipe said nothing about what they end up tasting like... You know, if they're like normal pancakes or should be paired with sour cream instead of fruit, that sort of thing. They look like they're worth a try if they taste good, because it's a good way to get an underserved veggie into your diet and they are low-cal.

So I wonder if anyone here has a spare eggplant laying around and wants to try these and report back? I'd love to hear impressions... Eggplant is not something I tend to buy regularly so I'd need a good reason.

Anyway, here's the recipe (apparently Dolly Parton's recipe, btw):

Eggplant Pancakes

1 medium-sized eggplant
1/4c water
2 eggs
5 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt

Bake eggplant with water, covered, at 350 til tender. Peel and remove seeds. Mash, add well-beaten eggs, flour, and salt. Mix all ingredients. Drop by spoonfuls on a hot buttered pan. Turn and brown on both sides.

Cals 47, fat 2g, sat,poly,monounsat fat 0g, cholesterol 72mg, sodium 410mg, carbs 5g, fiber 0g, protein 3g. (the recipe doesn't say if this is per pancake or for two or a half cup or anything)
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Since there is no seasoning I'd say you could go either way with these. Eggplant doesn't have a very assertive flavor, so I think you could go sweet or savory with them. Although if I was going to go the savory route I'd add some herbs to the recipe.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:03 AM   #3  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Smile LOL at Eggplant "Pancakes"

I nearly laughed my head off when I read that recipe in the current Diet and Nutrition. The picture looked yummy, but I didn't detect much "pancake-like" ingredients in the ingredients list. Maybe Eggplant "fritters" or Eggplant "hash browns", LOL.

I hope you try them, suitejudyblueeyes, and report back.

[ P.S. I like your name ]

Old 02-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #4  

Thanks, Bill

It sounds like you've seen the magazine then, eh? Doesn't it look like they're pouring honey on them? That's what kind of freaks me out. I suppose I would treat this in the same category as using radishes to make fake homefries (which is a wonderful trick).

Adding herbs is a great idea -- I'd be too skeptical to add something sweet to them. I may have to try these, since my only other eggplant recipe is terribly unhealthy!
Old 02-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #5  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs down Eggplant sponge

LOL at unhealthy eggplant recipe. The first time I had eggplant, I LOVED it. Best food I'd ever eaten. Someone had to tell me. I was eating eggplant cubes wrapped in bacon sauteed in bacon fat; eggplant served as a tasteless sponge!

Yep, it looked like honey drizzled on them in the magazine.

[ Are you, by any chance, related to the BlueEyes in the Boston area? Are we long lost cousins? ]

Old 02-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I might try them although i'd use pumpkin instead of eggs and whole wheat pastry flour instead of white flour. I bet they'd be good although maybe add in some cinnamon for spice.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

They do sound good, well interesting. And my first thought was like Nelie, change the flour to whole wheat.

The only way that I've ever really liked eggplant, is dipped in eggs and then breadcrumbs, fried in massive quantities of oil, then layered in a pan with tons of marinara sauce and cheese - yup, eggplant parmasean.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Eggplant parm is in my rotation; I just skip the breading and frying step and broil the eggplant instead. The calories really aren't so bad and it's a tasty dish. Actually, the last time I made it I was concerned about protein, so I used chicken and eggplant together. Purists would have been horrified but it was very good.

I like eggplant, but I find myself completely untempted by the pancake recipe.

Last edited by baffled111; 02-17-2008 at 11:45 AM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Baffled, I have tried the eggplant parm without the eggs, crumbs and oil and I just don't care for it. But I'm glad you do.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #10  

Hm, I DO have a can of pumpkin hanging out in the cupboard. That might be a good thing to try....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
[ Are you, by any chance, related to the BlueEyes in the Boston area? Are we long lost cousins? ]
Most likely not... unless you designate relations by proximity of screen names to CSNY songs!
Old 02-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Sounds "pancake" like only in the same way potato pancakes sound pancake like! Eggplant latkes anyone?

It sounds like it could be good, but IMO, a waste of a good eggplant!

I like to slice mine, salt and rinse them, then drizzle a little olive oil on and roast them. Or make baba ghanoush. Or add them to a lasagna.

Mmm. Eggplant!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

As for american eggplant, I can't stand them. So I think it would be a good use of them.

chinese or japanese eggplant is a different story
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

I want to know about the radish "home-fries"!!!!

Do tell!!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote