Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-31-2008, 01:11 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default How can I make hummus taste better?

I'm considering adding that back into my eating plan. I know I have to be careful because the calories can get up there.

Do you buy it bottled or jarred? I tried some that had roasted red peppers in it. I ended up throwing it out.

What can I do to make it better? I'd like to start making some wraps for my lunches.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:16 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Well first off, I gotta say, if you don't care for it, why are you considering adding it back in to your plan if it's not something you enjoy? There are plenty of healthy foods that I don't like, wish I did, but I don't. I could never force myself to eat something I didn't like. Cottage cheese comes to mind for me. Full of protein and calcium, low in calories - but I just don't like it.

The only brand of hummus I like is Sabra. They have lots of different varieties. I just stick to their classic hummus. You can make you're own if you're interested. A can of chick peas, roasted peppers or sundried tomatoes - whatever you like. Make it in a food processor or blender with some lemon juice and garlic. But again, if you're not a fan........

Last edited by rockinrobin; 01-31-2008 at 01:32 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:19 PM   #3  

I actually make a hummus that is really pretty low in calories/fat. it isn't traditional hummus and some people may groan at it but in wraps with sauted chiken and veggiesI love it.

The hummus type spread is at the bottom of the recipe. best part is it is FAST!!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slaw-mm...ps/Detail.aspx Serve this in la tortillas for even mroe bang for your buck
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 146.2/146.2/115

Height: 4 ft. 8 in.

Why not surf the net and make your own. There are alot of recipes out there. I like roasted red pepper hummus which can be made from scratch. I don't have a food processor, so I use my old fashioned blender.

Red Pepper Hummus
1 can of chick peas/garbanzo beans (15 oz)
1/3 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cup -3/4 cup roasted red peppers (depending on taste)
PREPARATION:
In a food processor, combine beans, tahini, lemon juice and olive. Process until smooth. Add red peppers and garlic until desired consistency. The tahini I have found at Publix, it's a little pricey but there is enough to use it more than one recipe. This is a yummy recipe.
shortshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:37 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I like the roasted garlic flavored hummus. When the mood strikes, I also like the dill flavor.

But I'm with robin in that if you don't like it, why eat it?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:03 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

I guess I may have been buying the wrong brands. I used to love it with falafels. However, falafels are a no-no now.

I love garbanzo beans. Wish they weren't so high in cals. I think I will try to make my own. That will probably be the best solution.

Thank you very much for the recipes.

Last edited by cbmare; 01-31-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:06 PM   #7  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I agree that making hummus homemade is best.

I don't know if the fact that they are fried is the reason you avoid them, but have you ever had baked falafel? It's pretty good too.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #8  
Mind over platter

S/C/G: 215/195/144

Height: 5'5"

Default hope this helps?

Hm, now I'm getting the sense that you like it but might eat too much of it if it is good? That is my problem anyway. I could eat a whole plate! I agree on the Sabra brand...that is the only kind I can stomach that is out there for sale in the grocery store. I make my own with a spice that I order. I've been using these spices for years because they have POWERful flavor and they work.

1 15 oz can garbanzo beans
1/3 cup sesame tahini paste
2 tsp SPICE BAZAAR JERUSALEM HUMMUS SPICE
olive oil, paprika and chopped parsley for garnish

This Jerusalem Hummus Spice ROCKS... it has a strong lemon flavor which I love and you can't really get from lemon juice alone. I also put it on Brussels sprouts and asparagus and sometimes chicken if I want a lemony chicken.

I also found a recipe from a fellow weight watcher chick for mixing with red peppers and sesame oil for lower fat than tahini. This one is ok, not "real" hummus, but pretty good!

Mock Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Dip

2 - 15 ounce cans of chick peas
1 Tbsp sesame oil
˝ a small jar of roasted red peppers (in water!)
6 cloves of garlic
Salt & pepper

Run everything through the food processor until creamy. Use as a dip with celery sticks or cucumber slices. This is a much lower fat version of hummus because you’re not adding sesame tahini. The sesame oil adds the rich, nutty flavor without the additional fat.

Makes 8 servings (˝ cup each)
P 1.25 Points Per Serving
Manick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't like store bought hummus, it is yucky.

I love fresh hummus though (or if you are ever in Denver, Jerusalem's has awesome hummus).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:31 PM   #10  
Work it!

S/C/G: 195/193/135

Height: 5'3"

Oooooooh YUM! I LOVE hummus and chick peas in general! It's one of the things I could probably live off of. hehe I'm a cilantro freak myself. I also enjoy the roasted red pepper, garlic, and plain traditional flavors as well. You may be able to find some at a health food store. I like to make my own as well.

Traditional hummus recipe I use:
1 can chick peas
1/4 cup tahini
1 - 2 Tbsp lemon juice
A little olive oil on top w/paprika

I don't have a blender, so I use my stick blender. Works just as well and there's probably less waste from trying to scrape it out of a blender.
Jewelieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:41 PM   #11  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I Tribe's 40 spices hummus. LOTS of flavor!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

I love Trader Joe's Spicy Hummus. I've had several flavors of Trader Joe's but that one is my favorite!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:44 PM   #13  
I wanna be a loser, too

Hmmm. I forgot to look at TJs.

Soul, yes, because they are fried. I think I'll have to get some falafel mix and bake them instead. Let me guess, you make your own mix?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I make my own, too. Mine comes out a little differently every time, because I don't follow an exact recipe. I put yogurt in mine, otherwise pretty similar to what others have posted. I use sesame oil instead of tahini paste because I am not tempted to drink the oil, where I might be tempted to use too much of the tahini - it resembles peanut butter in my mind. Also, I find that the sesame oil has lots of other uses. It has big flavor, so a little bit goes a long way.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

One thing you can do to make hummus a little less calorie and fat laden is to make it with navy beans rather than garbanzos (or 1/2 navy and 1/2 garbanzo). California Pizza kitchen makes their hummus with navy beans and I've never been able to taste the difference.

Nutritionally 1 cup of each works out to the following
Navy / Garbanzo:

Calories: 258 / 728
Fat: 1 g. / 12.1 g.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote