Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Edamame

I just recently tried Edamame. This is another name for soybeans. Purchased them at Costco and Albertson's. They come cooked, in their pods or already shelled and must be refrigerated. They are very tasty by themselves or added to salads and soups. Probably other things too, but this is all I have tried.

I had heard of Edamame, but I was convinced that I wouldn't like it - go figure. I know that this is very old news to many of you, but I just wanted to toss this out for the folks that haven't tried them yet.

I am interested in different ways to use edamame.

Last edited by gailr42; 12-09-2007 at 10:58 AM. Reason: left a word out
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #2  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I put it on pizza! I make my own pizza - whole grain crust, meatless, and I will put a variety of different vegetables on it. Edemame works well! As does anything from pickled asparagus to radishes to..... well, let's just say there's no need to limit it to the traditional "pizza vegetables."

Also it is good in stuffed peppers - instead of meat.

Last edited by Spinymouse; 12-09-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:42 PM   #3  

Do you mash them up for stuffing peppers or pizza? I make pizza on ww pita bread. I've been want it, so I will try the edamame on it.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #4  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

No, I don't mash them up. I kind of like them in their own little round selves.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I roasted them once. I tossed them with a bunch of spices and then put them in the toaster oven until they got all brown and delicious. They made for a nice little snack. I think I brought them to the movies, actually, and munched on those instead of on popcorn. I should buy some more; they were good.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:28 PM   #6  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

I have a bag of frozen ones in the freezer . . . maybe it's time to pull them out and do something with them (no they have not been there for months and months) . . . Don't know why I hven't tried them yet. I like a lot of the stuff made with soy, such as the fake hamburger-type . . . but I really do not like Tofu (I think it's the texture not the taste that turns me off). Guess I'm afraid the Edamame will taste like tofu.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #7  

When I was a kid, back in the old days, I had to drink soybean milk because I was allergic to cow milk. It was totally nasty. I think that is why I am suspicious of soy products. I have tried tofu a couple of times, and don't love it. Sorta smooshey.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I LOVE edamame. I go through phases- sometimes I will steam them with a little homemade mustard sauce or hot sauce, sometimes I will eat them lighty salted in the pod... now I'm into stir frys and they are an excellent compliment.... shiritake noodles, mushrooms, and edamame in low sodium stirfry sauce. Linda- they taste nothing like tofu! They are like a cross between a bean and a pea. Definitely a vegetable!

Last edited by junebug41; 12-09-2007 at 04:06 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #9  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
When I was a kid, back in the old days, I had to drink soybean milk because I was allergic to cow milk. It was totally nasty. I think that is why I am suspicious of soy products. I have tried tofu a couple of times, and don't love it. Sorta smooshey.
My best friend is like that. She REFUSES to try anything with "soy" in the title, especially milk. She too was forced to drink it as a child because of her little sister's lactose intolerance. I've tried countless times to get her to try soy chocolate milk and other products (I think tofu is just too tricky for the majority), but she'll have none of it.

Last edited by junebug41; 12-09-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #10  

I am going to try grilling a few when I grill my peppers and onions tonight. I am on a grilled veggied kick right now.

Hee, I like the round shape of the soybeans, too. Probably reminds me of my own little round shape.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #11  

What a mean thing for those parents to do to a kid. All the kids shouldn't have to give up milk because of one sibling. As far as I know, lactose intolerance isn't very serious and you don't get an attack from being in the same room with milk.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #12  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

I tried something called "Tofutti" that was supposed to be a coffee flavoured ice-cream substitute . . . almost as bad as tofy by any other name. Luckily my fridge conked out and I had to throw the rest of the package away.

Think I'll try my Edamame in a stir fry with lots of cabbage, onions, garlic, and a few carrots.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I hear that in Japan, they're a "beer snack," like peanuts here. I do like them like that just salted (no beer, though. Hate the stuff).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #14  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
What a mean thing for those parents to do to a kid. All the kids shouldn't have to give up milk because of one sibling. As far as I know, lactose intolerance isn't very serious and you don't get an attack from being in the same room with milk.
I think it was a money thing- it had to be one thing that everyone could drink.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #15  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffled111 View Post
I roasted them once. I tossed them with a bunch of spices and then put them in the toaster oven until they got all brown and delicious. They made for a nice little snack. I think I brought them to the movies, actually, and munched on those instead of on popcorn. I should buy some more; they were good.

I quit eating them a while back when all that bad news about soy was being crammed down our throats. However, I miss them.

I never thought of roasting them. That sounds like a great substitute for nuts. I miss nuts and can't eat them any more. Were they frozen and defrosted or did you buy them fresh?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote