Question about almond milk

• I saw some posts on here about almond milk, so I bought some sugar free almond breeze. I love the taste and would have no problem drinking it instead of the non fat milk I drink now. My question is this, what is the benefit of drinking almond milk vs. non fat milk?
  • the almond milk might give you some healthy fat! (I'm not sure though, I've never had it!)
  • A lot of people avoid dairy, for health or other reasons, but don't like or want soy milk. It's an alternative

I've also wondered, though, if I would gain the same health benefits of almonds by drinking the milk.

Go to http://www.bluediamond.com/retail/breeze/index.cfm and scroll down and click to view the pdf brochure. Page 2 of it has a chart of nutritional info on the almond milk.
  • I use the almond milk because it has less than half the calories of skim milk...and it seems richer and creamier to me than either soy milk or nonfat milk.
  • I adore the taste of it and since I can flavor it any way I want with some sugar free torani, its perfect for me. So sometimes I make it vanilla, sometimes chocolate, almond roca. I've even tried it pnut butter flavored b4.

I even made some faux egg nog using it over the holidays using the hungry girl method of adding sf pudding mix, nutmeg and rum extract.
  • How long does it keep after opening? I've seen Rice Milk in the stores. I haven't seen almond milk. Where do you get it?

I like chocolate soy milk (8th Continent). I don't like Silk brand. Are there different brands of Almond milk? I have a feeling this might be something I can use on my cereal in the morning.
  • There are a couple different brands of almond milk, although I've only seen one brand that has unsweetened almond milk.

I usually buy mine at Trader Joe's although I've seen a large selection of almond milk at Whole Foods. Sometimes I'll see it in the regular grocery store too but it is usually not the unsweetened version.
  • My grocery store has the unsweetened - brand is "Almond Breeze".
  • OK. I bought some Almond Breeze. I bought the green label box. It was right next to the blue label. Both are sweetened with evap. cane juice. I couldn't find unsweetened. I couldn't tell the difference between the two boxes. Does anyone know?

When I drank soy milk, I used 8th Continent. I couldn't stand the taste of Silk. Have you tried other brands? What is your favorite?

It tastes funny. Does the unsweetened have a different flavor?
  • One will say it's vanilla, the other will say it's original. Look on the blue and green part of the label

Regarding soy milk, I also prefer the taste of 8th continent and don't like Silk. But I don't drink soy milk anymore.

The only thing that concerns me is that I'm not sure if 8th Continent uses non-GMO soybeans and can't find a reference on their website. If they don't specifiy non-gmo then it's almost definitely genetically modified.
  • Suzanne - 8th Continent is GMO...it also is one of the only major non-vegan brands of soymilk (the vitamin-D they fortify with is animal-based).
  • Does anyone know if you can use almond milk for cooking or baking? I've been wondering if I can use it as a sub for skim milk?

I was using soy milk for a while, but it doesn't seem to really work as well in baked goods and it separates in sauces, etc.
  • Barbara - in some applications, it works like a charm. You really have to experiment, but I have used it to bake and it came out just fine.
  • I have used almond milk and soy milk and rice milk for baking. Amanda is right, most of the time things come out fine. I finally gave up trying to find milks that are organic, non-GMO and unsweetened (I live in a fairly small town). I asked for a "milk maker" for Christmas. It has taken a few tries to make soy milk that doesn't smell beany, but so far the almond, rice and soy milks have been wonderful. Our natural food store carries organic non-GMO soybeans

An added benefit, the "sludge" left over is wonderful for making high-protein breads, pancakes, and muffins
  • My personal opinion..the Pacific Almond Milk is crappy. Stick with the Almond breeze. BTW Almond Breeze is great in Iced Chai Tea.