3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Rye Triscuits make a great Rueben Salad (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/128418-rye-triscuits-make-great-rueben-salad.html)

evilwomaniamshe 12-06-2007 03:03 PM

Rye Triscuits make a great Rueben Salad

I had a hankering for a rueben sandwich, but of course that has way too many calories for me. I just made up my own healthier version and it tasted great as a low cal alternative!

I made myself a big ole salad of romaine lettuce, tossed on about a cup of saurkraut, some lean corned beef shaved, 6 rye triscuits broken up on top and a little bit of thousand island ranch lite dressing. It was supper tasty and oh so filling, I didn't even miss the swiss cheese one bit.

I think I just may nuke some saurkraut lean corned beef and some ranch lite and make a dip out of it for the holidays, scooping it up with the rye triscuits, Yum!

cbmare 12-06-2007 04:13 PM

I love corned beast and saurkraut. I seldom get it because boobalah doesn't like it. I have to go out for it. However, the portion they give is so big that I get to have leftovers. I get it on rye bread and have a nibble of the bread and leave the rest.

I've never heard of thousand island ranch. I make my own thousand island. It is super easy and I control the calories.

We were having an open fire night tonight because boobalah was supposed to have some sort of business dinner. I don't think he is going because of his lung infection and pneumonia. I was going to fix corned beast and cabbage for myself. Now I have to come up with something different since I didn't start it this morning.

You've given me an idea. I may get some from the deli counter. What kind of saurkraut did you use?

Congrats on making your goal.

evilwomaniamshe 12-06-2007 04:17 PM

OOps my bad, just a mere typo no such dressing!

The kraut I used was Franks brand, a 2 pound bag for a mere $1 found it near the hotdogs at walmart. Canned kraut is pretty good too, I can't remember the brand of the canned but I like the kind with the carwaway seeds in it, for 50 cents a can.

Hope you enjoy

kaplods 12-06-2007 04:42 PM

This reminded me of "diet" reubens I made while dieting in college, with super thin Pepperidge farm diet rye bread, light 1000 Island dressing, low fat swiss singles, or "real" fancy shredded swiss (because with the fancy shred, one tablespoon of shredded cheese can cover a sandwhich enough to get a bite of cheese in each bite), drained sauerkraut and buddig corned beef. I'd use light margarine or spray the sandwhich with PAM cooking spray before toasting in a skillet.

I think the whole sandwich came to just under 200 calories, and I would eat it very, very, very slowly.

I haven't had one of those in 20 years. I wonder if Pepperidge Farm still makes their super thin breads (they were like 30 - 35 calories a slice).

LindseyLouWho 12-06-2007 05:24 PM

I don't think Pepperidge Farm makes bread that low in calories anymore, which is unfortunate. I'd be all over that!

kaplods 12-06-2007 08:31 PM

I haven't seen it in a long time. The slices were only about as thick as cocktail rye, but otherwise regular sandwhich size (I'd guess one slice was about 1/3 - 1/2 as thick as a regular slice of bread). I've thought of buying unsliced bread, and asking the deli to slice it paper thin, but I think you'd almost have to get there before they start cutting meat for the day, or there's be a cross-contamination issue.

kaplods 12-06-2007 08:35 PM

I just checked online, and found it on the Campbell's website. Apparently they now only make it in white and 100% whole wheat. They call it "very thin sliced bread," not to be confused with their "thin sliced bread." It has 110 calories for 2 slices.

kaplods 12-06-2007 08:36 PM

Oops, I mean 110 calories for 3 slices. So, still under 40 calories a slice.