3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Glad microwave steaming bags (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/127783-glad-microwave-steaming-bags.html)

cbmare 11-26-2007 03:38 PM

Glad microwave steaming bags

I received a box of these things over the weekend. I'm supposed to product test them and report how I did.

I put 2 cups of my favorite frozen veggie mix in one today. I must say, it steamed them nicely. They were not mushy. I didn't have to use water.

So far, I'm pleased. I think I'll try a turkey and veggie omelet in one tomorrow.

Have you tried them?

Puncezilla 11-26-2007 04:15 PM

I haven't tied them and don't want to.. I've read and heard so many things about how unhealthy it is to put plastic containers or wrap in the microwave (chemicals leach from the plastic/wrap when heated) So I never put anything plastic in the microwave.

ggmugsy 11-26-2007 04:31 PM

I'm with Puncezilla. The ease of preparation isn't worth the possible cancer risks.

cbmare 11-26-2007 04:47 PM

These bags are not PVCs. Those are the problem bags and plastics. These bags are engineered differently so that nothing leaches out. Because they don't contain PVCs they are not recycleable. That is a problem for me but I promised them I'd try them out.

Brendansmum 11-26-2007 05:11 PM

I agree with the other two posters. I saw a commercial for these and this was the first thing that came to mind. I've gotten rid of all my plastic storage containers and use only glass. I got a steamer at the goodwill a while back and use it all the time. The little bags would be easier and they are good for a quick clean up but will we find out later down the road they are not good for you?? Just like everything else it seems.

BlueToBlue 11-26-2007 05:40 PM

It's not just the cancer risk for me but also that using plastic bags is really bad for the environment. Our goal is to have zero garbage in our household (we recycle everything that we can--plastics rated 1 through 7, aluminum and cans, milk cartons, styrofoam--and we put food scraps and food-soiled paper in the green can). At this point, non-recycleble plastic bags and kleenex are just about the only thing we through in the trash, so I'm really trying to use more reusable containers (tupperware, etc.) and fewer plastic bags. I would think that you could get glass or plastic tupperware that steams just as well as the plastic bags and since you'd be washing and reusing it, it would be better for the environment.

cbmare 11-26-2007 05:42 PM

Like I said, the fact that it is not recycleable is an issue for me. However, I was selected to try them out and give some feedback.

That will be one of my comments.

We recycle, too. In fact, you've given me an idea for a thread in General Chatter.

Scenestealer 11-27-2007 11:31 AM

I steam my frozen veggies by tossing them in a bowl filled about halfway up the veggies with water. Pop them in for 2 minutes or so, then just pour the excess water off. It's not quite steaming, but it's still perfectly healthy and avoids the plastics problem.

cbmare 11-27-2007 12:51 PM

Well, I've tried them a couple of times. I have to say that I do like them. However, the fact that they can't be recycled just irritates me.

I have to give a product feedback to these people. I will tell them that using them is super easy. However, since they can't be recycled, they won't be used anymore in our home.

kaplods 11-27-2007 01:08 PM

I saw the steaming bags at Sam's club and on T, and I was a little irritated that some of the marketing implies that the bags are the only way to steam vegetables in the microwave without an expensive microwave steamer. Any old glass bowel and a damp paper towel is all I've ever needed.

cbmare 11-27-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplods (Post 1942761)
I saw the steaming bags at Sam's club and on T, and I was a little irritated that some of the marketing implies that the bags are the only way to steam vegetables in the microwave without an expensive microwave steamer. Any old glass bowel and a damp paper towel is all I've ever needed.

Any old glass what? I'm not cooking in one of those.

Sorry, I know what you meant. I couldn't help myself.

mandalinn82 11-27-2007 04:56 PM

Mare, I thought it too :wink:

kaplods 11-27-2007 06:22 PM

Oops! What's really funny is my original spelling was glass bowel and paper towl (guess the spellings got crossed in my head). I caught towl and corrected it, but missed the other. Yes, I of course meant bowl (where would you even get a glass bowel, and how would you use it?"

ennay 11-27-2007 07:40 PM

My dad always said he had a "delicate bowel" maybe its the same thing?

Our friends brought them over for T-day...I had asked them to prepare a veggie dish DOH - dont ask the people who dont eat veggies to prepare veggies. :dizzy:

Anyway, I was shocked at how little the bags hold. A full bag would have been maybe enough for me.

Didnt notice that the stuff was any better then the ..ahem.. "bowel method" :lol: and definitely too mushy for my taste, I prefer a quick stirfry and eat them crispy.

It does appear to be the same plastic that the sterilization bags for breast pumps are made of but thinner. Those I did use, 20 uses per bag.

LLV 11-30-2007 07:03 PM

I've tried them. They're okay, I guess. I tried steaming fish and put the fish in the nuker for the recommended time and my fish was literally petrified. I could have saved it for a fossil collection.

Haven't tried veggies yet, though. I'm almost afraid to. I'll probably kill those too.