Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-17-2007, 01:16 PM   #1  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Stevia

I was hoping for some opinions! I've cut sugar out of my life completely and I'm trying to get away from artificial sweeteners, but I like things like my iced tea/hot tea to have some sweetness (and I imagine that in the future, there will be recipes I'll want some sweet-taste for). I've heard on my favorite fitness podcast about Stevia, and I was hoping to give it a shot. They recommended these: http://www.discountanabolics.com/p/NF-090 , as the hosts said that they didn't have as much of a bitter aftertaste as the plain powder tends to.

However, those handy packets are a little pricier in the long run than, say, a bottle of the powder would be (because the bottled powder is SO strong that you use a VERY small amount).

I'm hoping that those who've used Stevia can help me. Should I buy the powder-form, liquid-form or the stuff in the packets? Does it matter?

Thanks in advance! I'm hoping to order some off the 'net very soon!

Last edited by Azure; 10-17-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:35 PM   #2  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi there! I'm trying to come off of artificial sweeteners, also. My post was about agave nectar, but there may be something here for you.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124893
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:22 PM   #3  
Low Carb Lolita

Thanks, Rhonda! Just a quick update: I had to bring my car to Sears today to get an oil change and I wandered around the mall while I was getting it done, I went into GNC and asked if they had Stevia. They did! They had both the powder and liquid. The powder had 1g of carbs per packet/serving, so I stayed away from it (the additive was Maltodextrin). I picked up the liquid and I'm trying it right now in a glass of iced tea! It's sweet! The liquid Stevia only has a slight aftertaste to it...and I'm sure I'll get used to it in the same way that I got used to the Splenda aftertaste and the Aspartame aftertaste

I'm pretty psyched about it! And for the amount that you need to use in the glass (I used 5 drops in a 20oz glass), the bottle isn't expensive at all. It was $12 for the bottle! A "serving size" is 5 drops and there are 236 servings in this tiny 2oz bottle!

Last edited by Azure; 10-17-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:59 PM   #4  
hara hachi bu

I've used the individual packets of straight Stevia with fiber before, and I have no complaints. I've even cooked with it, I think I substituted 50% sugar and 50% stevia sweetener.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/sig/130

Height: 5'3.5"

I have never tried stevia, but I love agave nectar! It is sooooo sweet so I only have to use a drop of it in tea. I also used it when I made a baked apple the other day and it was great! Its a little runnier than honey so its a little easier to use.
I know I have read something about stevia, and I could go look it up, but what is it exactly?
tigerente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:17 PM   #6  
Low Carb Lolita

Stevia's made from a plant, it's all-natural. It's very sweet (it gets bitter if you use too much of it, I guess, but I haven't had that issue yet). There are NO calories (or carbs/sugar, if you look for one without Maltodextrin as a bulking agent), and since it's natural, I figure that it's a great calorie-free way to sweeten my drinks. I've only had it today but so far I've tried it in iced tea and hot, herbal tea and it sweetens both nicely

Last edited by Azure; 10-17-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 106/106-107/103-100

Height: 5' 1.5''

I've used the powder packets and it has no aftertaste. I wonder why it's still not FDA approved in the US.
Zepher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #8  

I've used the packets. I had to use only half or else it was to bitter. I then switched to the tabs. One tab for a cup of coffee was enough for me. I prefer the liquid stevia I feel like I have more control.
wisdom575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #9