Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Default Identify that Squash!

Hi guys,

I picked up these squash at the farmer's market, but I don't know what they are or what I should do with them. The photo isn't great, but the little front squash (which is fresher than the other) is a very bright and vivid yellow. Guesses/Suggestions?

Mystery Squash.jpg
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #2  

I'm not an expert, but there is a variety of pumpkin that is yellow. I think it is used in Indian cooking. There;s also a small yellow pumpkin and the variety is called "Halloween in Paris". How big are they?
Grasshoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

They're quite small. The little one in front looks like a single serving squash. Maybe 2-3 inches high and 5" across.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:05 PM   #4  

I was thinking some type of pumpkin as well.

What works with the winter squashes I have tried it to peel it, chop it up, add some chopped onions and some other veggies of your liking, toss with a little olive oil and whatever seasonings you want and roast them. 400-450 degree until they are done. hard squashes will take longer probably than something like broccoli or zucchini.

I've actually never found a veggie that didn't work well with this cooking method. I made butternut this way, broccoli, potatoes, zucchini, eggplant, caulflower green beans. sweet potatoes, carrots, turnips. etc. I suppose corn wouldn't work well cuz the little kernals would burn
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:51 PM   #5  
hara hachi bu

They look like those little decorative pumpkins. Are you sure they're supposed to be eaten?

Last edited by phantastica; 10-11-2007 at 01:51 PM.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:04 PM   #6  
LLV

It's squash, alright, but I couldn't tell you exactly what type. Which is why I'm baffled because I'm a squash fanatic. I currently have spaghetti, butternut, golden nugget and delicata squash in my fridge.

But that one has me a little stumped. However, here is a picture of different winter squashes and there's one there on the table (right behind the banana squash, to its left) that looks pretty similar to yours.

And here is another picture of what looks like an immature version of the kind you have.

But the sites where I'm finding the pics don't say what type of squash is in the picture, unfortunately. I'd say it's a type of pumpkin squash. There are different sizes and colors of pumpkin squashes that are edible.

Me, I'd go ahead and cook it like I would any other squash and see what happens.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote