Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-30-2007, 09:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Default Best cereal choices

What are some lower calorie, lower carb options? I love cereal but I want to rid my cabinets of the sugary, empty calories. I like Crispix and Honey Bunches of Oats, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!
Ohhkay8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 203/?/140

Height: 5' 4"

Maybe you should try the Kashi Go Lean cereals. Smart Start is also a healthy choice. My favorite is Kellogg's corn flakes
trin8ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:09 PM   #3  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I eat oatmeal every day with cinnamon, splenda and light vanilla soy milk.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Fiber One, either original or the honey oat clusters, is quite delicious! Try it topped with fresh blueberries or a sliced nectarine.
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:57 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Trader Joe's has a couple decent cereals - Shredded Wheat and Joe's High Fiber O's.

I suggest that you just start reading labels. I try to look for cereals that contain whole grains and are under 150 calories per cup of cereal.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:47 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I LOVE Kashi Go Lean cereal. For one cup it's got 140 calories, 10 gms of protein and 13 gms of fiber. Pretty good stuff.

Fiber One Cereal is also a favorite of mine. 1/2 cup = 60 calories and a whopping 14 gms of fiber.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:25 AM   #7  

I just found Glucerna cereal at Walmart. It has 100 calories, 1 carb per 30 ounces, and comes with either strawberries or raisins. It's marketed for people with diabetes, but makes sense for calorie counters too.

It tastes just like normal cereal to me.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:39 AM   #8  
Shedding My Cocoon

S/C/G: 230.2/226.4/130

Height: 5'6"

In my cupboard are Kashi Go Lean, Fiber One Original, and Flax Plus Pumpkin Raisin Crunch. The last one I got at Costo while visiting my parents (I don't have a membership) so it was a good deal in a big box, and I like the taste. However, the smaller boxes at normal grocery stores are just about the same as the big one, so I won't be getting a refill - I'm getting the Kashi Go Lean cereal instead.

I haven't tasted it yet, but it has more bang for the buck (protein/fiber) than any of the other cereals I found. Also, a word of warning, around here it costs ~$4.50 at Safeway, but only ~$2.50 at Target (if you have those). I bought mine at Safeway before going to Target.

Fiber One I add to everything, including my other cereal, for a big fiber boost.

G'luck choosing!
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:05 PM   #9  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I eat Kashi GoLean with soymilk and some fruit almost every morning. I like the taste and all that fiber and protein to start your day full

I don't know that you are really looking for "lower carb" cereal. Cereals are made of grains, which are mostly carbohydrates. What you want in a cereal is grains that are as whole and unprocessed as possible so they retain their fiber, protein and other nutrients. Also you want minimal added sugar, the grams of sugar per serving are on the nutrition info panel.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Honey bunches of oats is so good. I'm not a big cereal eater but Imostly just mix it up with the different kinds that they have. I also like chex and cinnamon cheerios.
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:23 PM   #11  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

I'm a Smart Start Red Berries and Smart Start Protein Plus and Smart Start Chocolate and Kashi Go Lean!!! MMMMM!! I LOOOOVE cereal! I can't wait to eat it in the morning!

Honey bunches of oats has quite a bit of sugar...I would either mix it with something a little better for you or just totally cut it out for something with lower calories.
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:25 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch View Post
I eat oatmeal every day too ... I love it it sticks to your ribs, for me anyways, more than any cereal I have ever tried...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphmitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
I eat oatmeal every day too ... I love it it sticks to your ribs, for me anyways, more than any cereal I have ever tried...
What kind of oatmeal? The original one you cook or an instant? I prefer the original but it takes time. Are there any good quick ones?
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

I use the original either large flake or regular flakes...It sounds silly but I eat mine dry dry soaked in soy or regular milk with Splenda, I sometimes add a few raisins and walnuts, to me it tastes like muesli or granola... I only have 1/4 cup of oatmeal with 1/2 cup milk... I also have an egg white omelet, I find the extra protein keeps me fuller longer...

I also make a protein pancake that you can make ahead of time and warm up in the morning

1/3 cup dry oatmeal
1/3 cup cottage cheese
1/3 cup egg whites
Splenda and Vanilla to taste
Blend with a hand blender or regular blender till smooth... Cook like a regular pancake... Makes one large or 2-3 small pancakes...
Serves 1
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
What kind of oatmeal? The original one you cook or an instant? I prefer the original but it takes time. Are there any good quick ones?
I used Old Fashioned oats. I put 1/3 cup of dry oats, 2/3 cup of water, and a shake of salt in a good sized deep (as opposed to wide) bowl and nuke it for 2.5 minutes. Watch it the first couple of times til you know how your microwave handles it - it will boil over, which is why a deep bowl is better. Add raisins, a few walnuts, a bit of milk and eat. The nuts give it a little protein, the raisins a little fiber and sweetness. I also like steel-cut oats, but they do take a little longer and I like to do them on the stove. I don't like instant oatmeal at all.

For cold cereal I'm a life long Cheerios gal. I try others occasionally (my DH usually has a variety) but I always come back to my yellow box. Had some this morning with fresh straweberries and a few walnuts (that protein thing again). Yummy.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote