Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-30-2007, 08:36 PM   #1  
LLV

Default Ok, I don't get it (an herb-growing question)

I love cilantro. So I bought a pack of cilantro seeds. Put them into a planter with what I suspect to be halfway decent soil (the bagged planting soil). Watered them, put them in the sun (like it said to do) and they sprouted. They thrived for about a week and then died.

Fine. So I went to a garden center yesterday and bought an actual cilantro plant. Put it in a large container with the same type of soil. It looked great last evening and most of the day today. I put it in full sun like it says to do with cilantro. After sitting in the sun, my plant looks horrible, it's withered and wilted. Which I don't understand because last year I had a cilantro plant that was kept in a pot, on my picnic table, in the sun every day, and it thrived all summer long.

What the heck am I doing wrong? Does anyone have any knowledge about growing herbs? Why are my dang plants dying?????
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi, I grow lots of herbs (some perennial and some annual like cilantro), but I have never had success with cilantro. I live in Virginia, and it's just too hot here for it. It does great for about a month and then as it warms up, the plant goes to seed and dies. The last time I grew it, I planted it in partial shade, and it did last a couple more weeks, but then it died too. I finally gave up. I love cilantro, but now I buy it for about .60 cents for a large bunch at Walmart ... it's so cheap I don't mind buying it.

Where do you live? It could be that it can't take the heat?
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I tried growing cilantro too, and it almost immediately went to seed. It did live all summer, and was full and green, but it didn't look like cilantro any more. Technically, I think cilantro becomed corriander when it grows up, but I didn't use any of the new "bush" because it just didn't look like cilantro any more, and I wasn't sure what part of the plant was corriander, and what might be miscellaneous weed that might have gotten in the container. Instead of low and leafy, it became tall and stemmy.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:28 PM   #4  
LLV

Thanks for the replies! And I live in Ohio. It's been hot the last few days.

Maybe I should put it in the shade for a while tomorrow instead of letting it sit in full sun. But like I said, last year I had a cilantro plant that was nice and bushy and survived the entire summer. I'd rather have a plant that I can just snip leaves off as needed because the cilantro from the store just doesn't last very long. It quickly gets all nasty and I have to throw it away. And dried cilantro? Forget it. It doesn't even have any flavor.

I even bought (from the produce section) this 'fresh' cilantro mix that comes in a tube and that stuff was so horrible I took one taste and threw it away. $4.99 it was. So that was a waste of 5 bucks.

Here's a link to the stuff I bought. It was horrible.

http://www.gourmetgarden.com/us/prod..._coriander.php
Old 05-31-2007, 01:12 AM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I've had the best luck growing cilantro in an area that gets a little bit (not a lot) of shade. Cilantro does tend to bolt (go to seed) very quickly. For this reason, I never bother buying the actual plants because I find that they just don't last very long. I think you are better off growing it from seed--look for packets that say they are the slow-bolting variety.

From your description, it sounds to me like you are either overwatering or underwatering it; the symptoms can be very similar, but since you describe the plant you bought as wilted, my guess is that it is underwatered. Leaves turning yellow or brown is probably overwatering. Watering plants in a pot is tricky. If it is hot out, plants in a pot generally require quite a bit more water than plants in the ground. You may need to water more than once a day, especially if the plants are in a terra cotta pot. I would try again with the seeds, maybe try putting the pot somewhere that gets mostly but not completely full sun. Too much sun causes bolting (although you can still eat the leaves after it has bolted, even though they do look different than the pre-bolt leaves--they'll just have a stronger flavor). Keep a close eye on the how dry you letting the soil get. If you notice the cilantro starting to wilt in the afternoon, give it some water and see if it perks up.

You could also try a self-watering container, like the earthbox. I have one and I have to say that it has not worked at all for vegetables, but for something like herbs, that have a shallow root system, it might work better. And you definitely wouldn't have to worry about watering as much.

If your cilantro does bolt, you can save the seeds and plant them next year.

I've also kept cilantro for up to three weeks in the fridge. Try putting it in a plastic bag (ziploc or sealed with a twistie) with a damp paper towel in the bag to keep it a little moist.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:32 AM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
I've had the best luck growing cilantro in an area that gets a little bit (not a lot) of shade. Cilantro does tend to bolt (go to seed) very quickly. For this reason, I never bother buying the actual plants because I find that they just don't last very long. I think you are better off growing it from seed--look for packets that say they are the slow-bolting variety.

From your description, it sounds to me like you are either overwatering or underwatering it; the symptoms can be very similar, but since you describe the plant you bought as wilted, my guess is that it is underwatered. Leaves turning yellow or brown is probably overwatering. Watering plants in a pot is tricky. If it is hot out, plants in a pot generally require quite a bit more water than plants in the ground. You may need to water more than once a day, especially if the plants are in a terra cotta pot. I would try again with the seeds, maybe try putting the pot somewhere that gets mostly but not completely full sun. Too much sun causes bolting (although you can still eat the leaves after it has bolted, even though they do look different than the pre-bolt leaves--they'll just have a stronger flavor). Keep a close eye on the how dry you letting the soil get. If you notice the cilantro starting to wilt in the afternoon, give it some water and see if it perks up.

You could also try a self-watering container, like the earthbox. I have one and I have to say that it has not worked at all for vegetables, but for something like herbs, that have a shallow root system, it might work better. And you definitely wouldn't have to worry about watering as much.

If your cilantro does bolt, you can save the seeds and plant them next year.

I've also kept cilantro for up to three weeks in the fridge. Try putting it in a plastic bag (ziploc or sealed with a twistie) with a damp paper towel in the bag to keep it a little moist.
Thanks for all the suggestions! And I'll do that with the plastic bag and damp paper towel next time I buy it because it looks like that's what I'm going to have to do very soon
Old 06-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #7