Top 10 Foods from Mayo Clinic

• http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/health-foods/NU00632

Here are your best bets for eating well. These 10 health foods are some of the healthiest because they meet at least three of the following criteria:

* Are a good or excellent source of fiber, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients

* Are high in phytonutrients and antioxidant compounds, such as vitamins A and E and beta carotene

* May help reduce the risk of heart disease and other health conditions

* Are low in calorie density, meaning you get a larger portion size with a fewer number of calories

* Are readily available

Apples
    Almonds
    Blueberries
    Broccoli
    Red Beans
    Salmon
    Spinach
    Sweet Potatoes
    Vegetable Juice
    Wheat Germ
  • I was surprised fat-free yogurt wasn't on the list. Thanks for posting this--it's interesting. Guess it's time for me to get back to sprinkling the wheat germ on my hot cereal.
  • Quote: I was surprised fat-free yogurt wasn't on the list.
    Well, these are more like "whole" type foods. I wouldn't really consider yogurt to be a whole food. At least I don't think. I don't know, is it? I'm sure fat-free yogurt is a fairly healthy thing to eat, but it's definitely not going to be in the top 10.

That's a nice site, lots of good nutritional reading
  • Are red beans better than black beans? I LOVE black beans, but am not a fan of red beans unless they are in something like chili or red beans and rice.
    Hmm, now I'm curious.
  • Quote: Are red beans better than black beans? I LOVE black beans, but am not a fan of red beans unless they are in something like chili or red beans and rice.
    Hmm, now I'm curious.
    Well, a cup of red beans has a little more fiber than black beans, but I don't think they're really suggesting that one is better than the other, they're just spitting out top foods that contain more fiber and/or nutrients than others. But black beans are just as healthy, in my opinion. Red beans have more fiber than black beans and pintos, etc. But really it's not by much. 1 cup of red beans has about 16 grams of fiber. 1 cup of black beans has about 14 grams. 1 cup of cooked lentils has 15. And they ALL have about the same nutrients, such as potassium, folate, iron, etc.