Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #1  
LLV

Default Trying to eat more fruit (question for you all)

I've never been a big fruit eater. It's not that I don't like fruit, I just never buy it. But lately I've been trying to get more fruit into my diet and I've found a terrific way of doing it; I've been putting fruit on my salads. Had a wonderful salad the other day with avocado and chopped apples and I've also been adding sliced strawberries to salads as well.

What's your favorite way to eat fruit? Do you ever put fruit on your salads? What are your favorites?
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I just love fruit. I eat 2-3 servings of fruit a day. My absolute favorite fruit are berries - I love them plain. Plains strawberries, blackberries, blueberries or raspberries. Occasionally, I get fancy and dunk strawberries in low fat maple yogurt or add blueberries to baked apples, or roast a little pinapple and dab with a touch of chocolate syrup.

I also love oranges, especially tangelos (it's currently tangelo season!). I love mango and pomegranates (so messy and not in season right now). I like mandarin oranges or pineapple in cottage cheese.

I rarely add fruit to things, but sometimes I do like dried cranberries in my salad, mandarin oranges in my salad can be good too.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm the kind that just grabs the fruit and eats it. I don't put it in much of anything except my half a frozen banana in my Fage yogurt or fresh pineapple in my cottage cheese. Fuji apples are my favorite and I just wash and eat. I do like a nice berry mixture for breakfast, but if I'm in a hurry, just a bowl of blackberries is terrific. I seem to reserve my salads for vegetables and beans.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 156/153/145

Height: 5'6"

I love fruit also, but something I have been doing lately is making smoothies. I try to keep frozen fruit. I just mix frozen fruit, water or skim milk and a little splenda in the blender. The amounts are determined by the calories I want to use. They are wonderful and very filling.
GramTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:57 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I don't eat much fruit. Though lately have been eating strawberries, they're quite inexpensive right now. I also like an ocassional Golden Delicious appled, sliced and sprinkled with a little cinnamon.

I have a great salad that I make every couple of weeks:

Baby Leaf Spinach
Romaine Lettuce
Mango, diced
Strawberries, sliced thin
Red onion, sliced thin
Slivered almonds, optional

You can substitute mandarin oranges and craisins instead of the mango and strawberry - that was the original recipe.

I dress it with a little bit of balasamic vinegar. It's delicious.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I love fruit but, aside from bananas, but, like Linda, I rarely think to eat it.

Since strawberries are in season, I have been putting those on salads. I make mine with spinach, a little avocado, strawberries, a few pine nuts, romano cheese and balsamic vinegarette. It's quite yummy!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:58 PM   #7  
LLV

Wonderful suggestions so far, thank you! And those salads sound fantastic

I've gotta try those soon!

I also like dumping wild blueberries into vanilla yogurt (the only flavor of yogurt I'll eat).
Old 05-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #8  

I usually have it as a late afternoon snack--
plain ff yogurt with grapes or berries, sometimes a little bit of GoLean crunch on top.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/148/125

Height: 5'3"

I love fruit!! I put it on my salad all the time
Lately I have been putting strawberries and pieces of orange on my salad (regular oranges, not mandarin). With the orange I don't even need any dressing! Soo good!
silver plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love fruit, and generally just eat it, but I buy frozen berries to make virgin frozen daquiris. They seem so decadent.

I put frozen berries in the blender (maybe 1.5 cup?) cover 2/3 with diet mountain dew or sprite, and pulse until smooth. Yummy! If I want it sweeter, I add a little Splenda, and if I want it tarter, I add a little lemon or lime juice. Usually I don't add anything (unless I use blueberries or cranberries, then I definitely need a little sweeterner)
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/166.8/160

Height: 5'10

I've become a big fruit eater over the last couple months. Usually as a snack I have fruit and a string cheese. Some of my favorites are things that don't take any effort to peel (apples grapes etc)
I love mixing different fruits together in a big fruit salad. Sometimes I take a banana and cut it length wise and put some natural peanut butter on it and close it up!
Every other week I make try to get a fruit I haven't tried before (that's getting harder) but it's how I discovered Pears! (who knew) and Plums (very good) and Kiwis (Good, but not worth the trouble IMO)

Hurray fruit.

Also I like berries in my cereal and oatmeal
AmberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #12  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I eat a lot of fruit plain by itself but I also love to add it into my morning cereal, I'll add in just about any berry or bananas.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #13  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I eat lots of fruit and veggies.

for breakfast I have fruit with a sprinkle of granola on top and some fat free yogurt.
I also put fruit on my salads: manarines/oranges, kiwi, grapes, apples, pear etc.
Sometimes for a snack I'll have apple with cheese or peanut butter or pear with the same or even mellon or pineapple with cottage cheese
I freeze whole grapes and piece of fresh pineapple and have them at night when others are having ice cream. Sometimes I will mix that with a bit of yogurt and pretend it's dessert!

I love dried fruit but I'm not buying it ofr now becaue I started bingeing on it.YOu get all the sugar without the water so it's better to have fresh fruit. Mangoes are in season right now and I am loving them. I put those on salads too!
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #14  
LLV

Thanks for everyone's suggestions
Old 05-05-2007, 05:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 288/252.8/160

Height: 5'7"

I make the most yummy "dessert" for my family that everyone eats up and is quite healthy. I chop up strawberries, and add blueberries if I have them. Maybe banana. (chopped fruit adds up to about a cup, more or less) I take one 8oz container of fat free yogurt, usually vanilla or fruit (this could be made even healthier by using plain yogurt, but we aren't there yet) and divide it up between 3 parfait glasses (or bowls), I mix in a big spoonful of wheat germ and a big spoonful of ground flax seed and mix it up with the yogurt in each bowl. Add the chopped up fruit on top. Sometimes I stop here, and this is a "snack", For dessert, I take a graham cracker and crush it in a bag and sprinkle the crumbs on each bowl, then add a tablespoon of cool whip light to each. Oh my, this is good. If we are being extra sinful, and I have the room for the calories, I shave up a tiny square of dark chocolate and sprinkle the shavings on each. It tastes like cheating.
emilyk is offline   Reply With Quote