Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-23-2007, 03:41 PM   #1  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

Default great variation of tacos!

I'm sure I'm not the first to try this but last night I had a great meal and I wanted to share.

I made "Tacos" but wrapped them in lettuce instead of the deep fried tortilla and with ground turkey instead of beef. I didnt notice any difference with the meat and they were delicious! I didnt feel sick after having them which I normally feel kind of gross after a couple tacos.

Anyone else have variations on old favourities? I am going to try this with fajitas next time. I love those.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #2  

Height: 5ft 4in

I LOVE tacos!! That is such a great idea and sounds so good. I am going to try that very soon!

Thanks for sharing!!!
adaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You know something funny, at first, I was confused by your post... deep fried tortilla? For a taco? (and I'm mexican). Then I remembered that some people use fried tortillas

As far as "tacos", one of my old favorites used to be diced cucumbers, diced tomatoes and shredded cheese. Most recently I did cucumber, hummus and avocado. I buy whole wheat tortillas or pure corn tortillas. I'll often make beans, brown rice, veggies, meat and tortillas for a meal.

One of my favorite things to do is make enchiladas or lasagna with zucchini instead of tortillas/noodles. Although now one of my goals is to not eat cheese so I'm guessing that is out
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:59 PM   #4  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

When I feel like tacos (which is quite often!) I make a taco salad instead, I use the ground turkey also. I like the salad because it lets me get in more veggies than I would have on a regular taco and of course no tortilla!

Neli - I recently moved to Phoenix, AZ from Rhode Island and I've learned A LOT about traditional authentic mexican food, all we had in RI was taco bell! I can totally relate to your statement, it seems around here all the mexican restaurants serve tacos up in fresh soft tortillas, the fried tortilla shell is aparently an american thing
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/156/143

Height: 177 cm (5ft10in)

ah the fajitas. Okay here's what I do when i have to entertain children/teens and stuff something besides corndogs (here in japan those are called 'american dogs') into them.

I take
one onion,
1 cup of sliced mixed bell peppers (I buy them frozen for 100 yen because I'm cheap/lazy)

then add anything I can find that is vegetable to it. a bit of carrot, zucchini, eggplant, squash, green beans, sugar snap peas, whatever you can hide.

Stir fry all these things with a spray of pam.

Then add approx.

2 tbsp or 3 tbsp of prepackaged TACO or FAJITA seasonings (most american groceries or import stores here in japan sell it). I think its 20 cals per tbsp

Add 4 tbsp water to liquify the powder, stir it all up. Serve to unsuspecting youngsters as side dish.

Also I usually offer a spoonful of skim-milk made plain unflavored/unsweetened yogurt with it. It's like sour cream (if a tad runny) but it's a sneaky dollup of dairy and it tastes really good.

I bet it could be wrapped in lettuce leaves too or used as part of a taco-salad.

mmmm yum
lewelaine is offline   Reply With Quote