Tofu

• Good Morning --

I am going to branch out and try tofu. Does anyone have some suggestions for brands that are good/not so good and general guidelines to look for?

I would also appreciate some recipes !!

Thanks
  • I just recently branched out and tried tofu myself. I don't remember the brand name but it was the only one at the supermarket. I just used it like I would use chicken, for example, I make a vegtable soup and I always toss in some chicken but instead i put in some firm tofu. I also made a stirfry with tofu and curry spices. I also bought some silken tofu and made smoothies with it but I think there are lower calorie options for smoothies.
  • I'm a picky tofu eater and I only like super firm tofu, which is hard to find in my town. I especially love Wildwood Organics tofu. It's flavored and not packaged like other tofus. It's so firm that it reminds me of cheddar cheese. My favorite variety is the smoked bbq. You really can't tell it's tofu. Another to look for is baked tofu. Not sure of the brand, but it says baked in very large letters. It also has a different texture.
  • I use tofu on top of salads (better if you marinade it in the dressing ahead of time) and also in any stir fry or casserole. I also just use it like chicken and I like it because I dont have to cook it and it's quick. I have heard that you aren't supposed to use it too often but everything in moderation is good.
  • I really like super firm tofu mixed with a bit of soy sauce and sesame oil. Chilled or baked. It's really good. My favorite brand would be Sunrise (chinese company I believe?) and President's Choice.
    Super firm tofu usually comes vacuum sealed in plastic.
  • I don't have a favorite brand of tofu (love all the firm and extra firm ones!) but I did want to offer a suggestion for making it absorb more flavor.

Lay down a dish towel, put a paper towel over that and then put your tofu (whole, sliced, diced, whatever) onto the paper towel. Top with another paper towel, then another dishrag, then put a heavy glass pan, or cutting board, (anything heavy) on top of it. Leave for 10-15 minutes. The weight helps press out excess moisture, which is absorbed into the towels.

Now your tofu is ready to soak up a yummy marinade of honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and garlic. (Or whatever!)
  • It's great in miso soup, especially if you add bok choy and/or watercress. Just cube the tofu and toss it into the broth.

You can also make smoothies with silken tofu.

Trader Joe's makes a lower fat brand.
  • One neat way to get tofu and not know it is to make it into a pesto.

Get some of the silken stuff, toss in a blender with a green veggie like spinach or broccoli, seasonings, a little fresh parme, tiny bit of olive oil, garlic and voila.. tofu pesto!! You can add walnuts or pine nuts to the sauce as well. I've gotten the TJs brand, Azumaya and Mori- Nu and other brands that I never noticed the label.

I love the super firm when making tofu parmigiana.. yum
  • Quote: I'm a picky tofu eater and I only like super firm tofu, which is hard to find in my town. I especially love Wildwood Organics tofu. It's flavored and not packaged like other tofus. It's so firm that it reminds me of cheddar cheese. My favorite variety is the smoked bbq. You really can't tell it's tofu. Another to look for is baked tofu. Not sure of the brand, but it says baked in very large letters. It also has a different texture.

Hey Suzanne, does your town have an Asian grocery store? I love House brand cutlet-style tofu. It is very firm, 100 calories per serving and it isn't flavored (I am not a fan of it coming pre-flavored).

http://www.house-foods.com/our_produ...ofu_atsu1.html
  • Quote: Good Morning --

I am going to branch out and try tofu. Does anyone have some suggestions for brands that are good/not so good and general guidelines to look for?

I would also appreciate some recipes !!

Thanks

The big thing to know about tofu - tofu by itself tastes like NOTHING. It is blah and tasteless and kinda icky. But, tofu is like a sponge, it really absorbs flavors and marinades. I love it in stir fries with a spicy stir fry sauce. Letting it soak up a good orange/honey/soy/chile marinade overnight is pretty yummy too! Silken tofus are good for making dips, I make a great artichoke dip with silken tofu, garlic, and lemon!