3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   High Fibre/low Fat Recipe (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/108342-high-fibre-low-fat-recipe.html)

plump 03-27-2007 11:23 PM

High Fibre/low Fat Recipe

I'm new here and would like to try a hf/lf meal plan. So far I've got my breakfast worked out, my lunches pretty much under way, but need some recipes for my dinner meal. Anyone want to share some hf/lf tasty dinner meal recipes?
I did broil some potatoe skins tonight with fresh mushrooms in them. Covered them with the slightest slilce of provolone. Yummm!

mandalinn82 03-28-2007 12:14 AM

I just made the most amazing pasta for dinner tonight...based roughly off the chicken giardino at the Olive Garden. Also, my magical white bean and sausage soup is both high fiber and low fat (search the forums for "magic white bean" and you'll find it!)

Makes 4 servings
4 cups broccoli florettes
3 large bell peppers, cut into strips
3 zucchini, cut into discs
2 cloves garlic, minced
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 cups chicken broth, divided
2 tbsp light margarine (transfat free if you can find it)
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
2 tbsp fat free half and half (optional)

8 oz whole wheat penne
1 lb chicken breast, cut in 1" dice
Dried Thyme
Dried Rosemary
1 tsp black pepper
salt to taste
Cooking spray

In a small bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth, juice and zest of lemon, three pinches dried thyme, 1 pinch dried rosemary, ground pepper, and a pinch of salt. Whisk to combine.

Salt and pepper chicken breast. In a large saute pan coated with cooking spray, cook the chicken breast chunks until they are cooked through, then remove to a small bowl. Respray pan as necessary, and add broccoli, bell pepper, zucchini, and garlic. Add remaining 1/2 cup of chicken stock to the pan, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Allow veggies to steam until crisp-tender.

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the 2 tbsp of light margarine. When it is melted, whisk in the flour and cook on low heat for 1-2 minutes, until flour is no longer raw. Whisk in about half of the lemon/chicken broth mixture and raise heat to medium, whisking constantly until all lumps are disolved. As the sauce thickens, add additional lemon/chicken broth mixture slowly. Bring to a simmer. Just before you are ready to add this to the pasta, whisk in 2 tbsp of fat free half and half.

Return the chicken breast to the pan with the vegetables and toss to heat through. Drain the pasta and return to the large pasta pot. Pour sauce onto pasta, and add vegetables/chicken to the mixture. Toss well to combine and serve.

Nutritionals:
Total: 404
Fat: 7 63 16%
Sat: 1 13 3%
Poly: 2 17 4%
Mono: 2 19 5%
Carbs: 60 189 49%
Fiber: 13 0 0%
Protein: 33 133 35%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

7 g of fat, only 1 saturated, and 13 g of fiber.

friendlykat4u 03-30-2007 09:12 AM

Try using beans, high protein, high fiber, low fat.

You can make vegetarian chili with tons of veggies in it. You can make burritos with FF refried beans, all kinds of veggies, and whole wheat wraps. I like using low carb wheat wraps. top with salsa, sprinkle low fat cheese, bake until cheese melts, really good!

If you like chickpeas you can make a lot of things with them also. Salads, dips, stews.

Hope that gives you some ideas. :)