3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   Water (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/107432-water.html)

SpeakYourMind 03-17-2007 08:35 AM

Water

I'm not sure if this belongs here, so feel free to move it if I'm in the wrong place. xD

Alright, my trouble with water is that I have a problem drinking it plain. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. It feels like I'm going to gag or that my throat closes up when I'm drinking it, and it's just not appealing to me most of the time, no matter how thirsty I am. I have no problem drinking it in the form of Crystal Light, the only thing there being I don't want to take in so much aspartame.

Is there anything I can do to make drinking water easier, or is it just something I'll have to adapt to as I go? I know I'm not getting enough at the moment and I want to fix that.

cantforgetthis 03-17-2007 08:46 AM

Hi, I'm sure that at some point you should try to get past the aversion, but for now have you tried to squeeze just lemon or lime juice in it?

Another suggestion is change the sweetner. There is a great natural sweetner called Stevia, no chemicals, no sugar. I like to add that to my lemon water for a natural lemonade.

Good luck!

Heather 03-17-2007 09:51 AM

It's very important to remain hydrated, but you may not have to drink plain water to do it. Do you like tea? That's a great way to get flavor and stay hydrated. If you like green or black tea, you may also have found a great way to add in some antioxidants!

suerose 03-17-2007 09:54 AM

Hi, I have the same problem...there are days when I can drink it, but overall I don't really want to. On the other hand I know that the days that I drink water are really good and not so hard in terms of weight loss....so the water is really important to the weight loss and I have to decide which I really want.
My girlfriend just glugs down whole bottles at a time, and it makes me sick sometimes to watch her do it....but I still keep going to try to get 8-10 glasses in

SpeakYourMind 03-17-2007 12:11 PM

I haven't tried the lemon water idea, but that sounds like an idea. I'll see if I can pick up some Stevia tonight when the roads have melted. They're pure ice at the moment, meaning I'm stuck at home instead of the gym.

I love tea, both black and green. I always thought the caffeine in it did something that sort of worked against the water? I don't remember exactly what it was I heard, so maybe I'm imagining things. But I usually have at least one mug a day of tea, with nothing added. Good to hear that helps. :)

I noticed the same thing suerose. I may only be 17 but I already have laugh lines (tells you something about my personality :D) and on days where I get enough water, they're unnoticable. The days I don't, well, I've been mistaken for being in my late twenties. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing in most cases. xD

Heather 03-17-2007 03:13 PM

Caffeine does act as a diuretic, meaning that if you drink something with caffeine you may lose a little more water compared to something without. For a long time people took that to mean that if they drank caffeinated beverages that they would lose more liquid than they took in. This is partly where the idea that we have to drink "pure water" comes from.

But researchers have not found caffeine creates any kind of hydration deficit (if anyone knows of any research on the topic, especially if it contradicts what I'm saying, please let me know!). Even if you drink caffeinated beverages you will have a net GAIN in your hydration levels. Also consider that tea contains a lot less caffeine than coffee, so any diuretic effects would be very small.

Why not just increase the amount of tea you drink? In addition to caffeinated green and black tea, you can drink it decar or herbal tea...

SpeakYourMind 03-17-2007 04:19 PM

Ah, thank you for clarifying that wyllenn. :) I could definitely drink more tea, and it would give me a reason to try some new kinds.

Thank you all for your help. :)

BlueToBlue 03-18-2007 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyllenn (Post 1615192)
But researchers have not found caffeine creates any kind of hydration deficit (if anyone knows of any research on the topic, especially if it contradicts what I'm saying, please let me know!). Even if you drink caffeinated beverages you will have a net GAIN in your hydration levels. Also consider that tea contains a lot less caffeine than coffee, so any diuretic effects would be very small.

There was an article in the March 2007 issue of Cooking Light that supports what you've said here, Wyllenn. According the article, caffeine is not dehydrating and doesn't interfere with hydration. Moreover, the article says that research indicates that caffeine doesn't create an increased need to pee (so it may not even be a diuretic). Peeing more is just a result of increased fluid intake, regardless of whether the beverage is caffeinated or not.

According to the article, the typical brewed green tea has 30mg caffeine, the typical iced tea has 47mg caffeine, and the typical cup of brewed coffee has 60-180mg caffeine (a Starbucks tall coffee has 375mg caffeine but a tall latte has only 35mg caffeine).

BlueToBlue 03-18-2007 01:47 AM

Another thing you could try is infusing your water with fruit or herbs. Try throwing a slice of melon and some slices of cucumber in a pitcher of water and then put it in the fridge. Discard the melon and cucumbers after a fdw hours; the water will have a light cucumber-melon flavor. You could also try mint or basil leaves or other types of fruit.

Tealeaf 03-18-2007 02:31 AM

The vast majority of moisture that makes it into my body is in the form of tea. I don't have a problem with water; I just am something a tea nut. If drinking tea didn't work, I'm pretty sure I would be dead now. I believe that dieting is stressful enough without worrying about something that doesn't really matter like trying to choke down plain water if you don't like it. Just make sure you don't switch to caloric drinks, and you'll be fine.

Heather 03-18-2007 09:35 AM

Barbara -- Thanks for the confirmation. I've been doing a lot of reading lately and want to make sure I'm not misrepresenting what I read. I get the sense that this research about caffeine as a diuretic (at least, how it works on people as a diuretic) is pretty new.

I like that infusion idea. I'm not a big melon fan, but mint and perhaps citrus fruit. I do like water with lemon or lime!

Annie -- I'm liking tea more and more. I used to only drink it when sick (with lots of honey), but I find myself turning to it more and more. So many different tastes and flavors -- it often really hits the spot!

SpeakYourMind 03-18-2007 09:51 AM

I really like that melon/cucumber idea. I think I may do that later actually. :)

I love tea, always have. I used to drink black tea plain, but I find now after drinking green tea regularly, I have to add a tiny bit of skim milk to mild the taste a little.

Thanks for the information on how much caffeine is in those drinks. What would be the recommended daily limit to caffeine intake?

trekkiegirl 03-24-2007 12:20 AM

I don't drink a lot of plain water, either. I take most of my water in the form of Crystal Light iced tea or peach tea. But I picked up two Glaceau vitamin flavored waters the other day for the first time (yum.....and some hilarious comments on their labels, lol) and when I finished those, I refilled both bottles with plain water and now I bought a bunch of different flavor, zero-calorie, very low-calorie or no sugar powders (including some vitamin and fiber-based ones) to mix into the bottles. I downed a blue-raspberry bottle earlier and now I'm sipping an apple-flavored one. I found this place online that sells boxes of the packets, like for using in offices and vending machines. They had stuff I don't see in my local stores so I stocked up for at least a couple of months. :p I love shopping online. :D

kaplods 03-24-2007 01:54 AM

Sounds good! Could you share the site name? I also love online shopping.

trekkiegirl 03-24-2007 02:47 AM

I used a place called Discount Coffee (ironic for me since I don't drink coffee, hate it, lol). You have to spend $50 to get free shipping, though. But I liked finding stuff I haven't seen in the stores here. I didn't even know Swiss Miss made apple cider packets like their hot chocolate packets. Didn't get those, though. Maybe next time. :D