3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Food Talk And Fabulous Finds (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds-17/)
-   -   low calorie drinks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food-talk-fabulous-finds/107372-low-calorie-drinks.html)

smoochie3 03-16-2007 01:26 PM

low calorie drinks

Are there any low calorie drink alternatives other than diet drinks that contain aspartame or sucrolose? What do you enjoy drinking that doesnt have tons of calories and isnt sugar free or diet?

mandalinn82 03-16-2007 01:31 PM

Water, and essence-flavored calorie free mineral waters. They are a little tart for most people. Also, I sometimes put an ounce or so of pure cranberry juice (its so tart!), and the juice of a lemon in a large 1.5 liter plain sparkling water. Its sour, but really refreshing for me.

Coffee and tea are also calorie free. Have you tried Passion and/or Hibiscus tea blends? They taste sweet with zero calories. And iced coffee in the summer is just heavenly...brew up your coffee, let cool, serve over ice, with a splash of milk if you need it.

nelie 03-16-2007 01:46 PM

I drink unsweetened tea (iced and hot)
Sometimes I'll also buy seltzer water and mix it with a splash of fruit juice.

ennay 03-16-2007 02:12 PM

I drink either regular or carbonated water with a tiny bit of fruit juice. (A favorite drink is lime seltzer with cranberry)

I love herbal iced tea and regular iced tea

When I brew coffee I put cinnamon in the grounds and then I dont need to add any thing else.

mandalinn82 03-16-2007 02:42 PM

Oooooh, excellent call on the cinnamon in the grounds!

smoochie3 03-16-2007 09:24 PM

I gotta do something, I cannot drink just plain water, I don't know why. These are some good ideas!!!!!

LakeGirl 03-17-2007 10:47 PM

Hi, i'm new in this forum and now that I'm exploring, I have no idea how I ever missed it!

I love, love, love the Turkey Hill Diet Green Tea! It's sweetened with ginsing and honey and it is wonderful. I'm not a fan of water, but I go through a few gallons a week of this tea!

kaplods 03-17-2007 11:12 PM

I like plain water with meals, but in between, it has to taste like something, or I don't drink much. I'm also trying to learn to like the taste of teas more, and dilute my sweet tooth, so I mix one tub of Crystal Light (or the Walmart version) with unsweetened tea (I usually buy fruit or plain flavored black, green, or white teas, and occasionally herbal teas), in a gallon pitcher.

RememberHowToSmile 03-18-2007 12:35 AM

If you want to stay close to water but just add a bit of flavor add either a lemon, lime or orange wedge. You can also add a few slices of cucumber to water (a lot of spas do this).

Thoms 03-30-2007 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelie (Post 1614022)
I drink unsweetened tea (iced and hot)
Sometimes I'll also buy seltzer water and mix it with a splash of fruit juice.

Nelie, I prefer to go for a cup of coffee....

I don't mind the calorie concept involved with it.....

friendlykat4u 03-30-2007 09:02 AM

Never heard of the cucumber in the water before, that's interesting. Have any of you tried that? What does it taste like?

I like lemon in my water. I also do the seltzer water with a little cranberry or orange juice, or even better pomegranate concentrate. It's expensive, but you only need a little bit, has no sugar added (at least the one I buy), it's a lot like cranberry, and it's got antioxidants in it! :)

I have never tried this, I was thinking you could chop berries and add seltzer water or plain water to it, just to flavor it a little bit, and when it's hot out you could do frozen fruit. Just an idea, not sure if that would be good, but I think I'm going to try it myself. :)

jillybean720 03-30-2007 11:05 AM

I don't care for seltzer water, but I do love to do about aliter of plain water with about 1/2-3/4 (depending on your taste) cup pure cranberry juice added (make sure it is PURE cranberry juice--not from concentrate).

sugarlove 03-30-2007 11:29 AM

I've done the cucumber in the water thing - I love cucumber, and found it refreshing. Not something I would want to drink all the time :) but it was nice and I would do it again.

There's a new brand of water out now - I think it's called "Hint"? They are waters flavored with a - you guessed it! - hint of apple, lemon, etc. and they have a cucumber one as well. I haven't tried it, though (making my own is much cheaper, I'm sure, LOL!)

nelie 03-30-2007 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoms (Post 1632468)
Nelie, I prefer to go for a cup of coffee....

I don't mind the calorie concept involved with it.....

I personally don't like coffee :) I love tea though! It took me a while to get used to unsweetened tea but now that I have, I don't even notice it is unsweetened.

Also, I am with Jill on the pure cranberry juice. That is my favorite to mix in with my seltzer water. Unfortunately, the only place I can find pure cranberry juice is at whole foods.

jillybean720 03-30-2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelie (Post 1632926)
Unfortunately, the only place I can find pure cranberry juice is at whole foods.

I have found it at Whole foods and at Giant (though it's not in the juice aisle at Giant--it's with the health foods or whatever, so you have to search a bit). I've found it cheapest at Trader Joe's.