Protein/carbs??

• Do you need to eat carbs with protein? If you take in 20 grams of protein should you add so many grams of carbs at the same time, like adding fruit or can you just add the protein alone. Does this make any sense?
  • There are people who swear by food combinations. Some concepts have validity, such as the fact that your body can absorb vitamins & minerals better if you have a little fat with your vegetables. Also, if you are doing serious workouts, you get the maximum benefit by having some good carbs before your workout and some protein-and-carb within 30 minutes after. Your body can also handle carbs better if you have a little protein with it, so that if you are diabetic or insulin resistant, a combination is better than carbs alone. But, in terms of sheer weight loss ... it doesn't make a lot of difference what order or combination your food comes in. As long as you eat the right number of calories and have the right nutrient balance at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.
  • There is definitely something to the concept - my son is diabetic, and his dietician has always stressed that we include some sort of protein with his carbs to help avoid a spike in his blood sugar. In monitoring him, I can definitely see that when he eats protein with his carbs (cheese with his crackers, a little peanut butter with his apple, for example), his numbers stay more even - and the effect of the food lasts longer (he doesn't crash).

For myself, I try to eat protein with my carbs simply because it helps me to feel full longer - a carb only snack isn't nearly as satisfying. Seeing the effects on blood sugar in my son, though, is also amotivation for me - I know that our bodies react a little more kindly to that bit of protein with the carbs.
  • Right, as I said, in terms of blood sugar it's definitely a good idea to have protein with carbs. And, after exercise, having some of each will allow your muscles to acheive maximum benefit and rebuilding after the exercise. I've never heard of any other benefit, though, to making sure your protein intake is always accompanied by carbohydrates.
  • I have protein with carbs, for the blood sugar aspect. Also it makes your meals a little more balanced.
  • I try to eat protein/carbs and fat with every meal and snack.