Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/241/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Lower fat/calorie cake

I tried adding this to the lower fat/calorie brownie thread, but for whatever reason it would never post... so I decided to try a new thread...

here are a couple more ideas to reduce the cal/fat in boxed mixes....

Diet Soda Cake

1 can of diet soda
1 box of cake mix.

Mix and pour into a 9 x 13 pan sprayed with Pam. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. There are many combinations of flavors. Try diet cola and chocolate cake mix; diet sprite and yellow cake mix; diet orange and orange cake mix or white cake mix; diet raspberry and chocolate cake mix. Use your imagination. I love to top a chocolate one with lite cherry pie filling and Cool whip. Cool Whip makes a great topping on any of them.

Pineapple Angel Food Cake

1 box of Angel Food cake mix
1 large can of crushed pineapple (20 ounce)

Mix cake mix and pineapple (including juice) together. Pour into a tube cake pan. Bake according to the cake directions.

Yum!!
RebaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 114/107/105

Height: 5'2

Wait...
So you just mix the cake mix with a can of diet coke? No eggs or anything else? How does that work?
paperdollme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #3  

yep... just the cake mix and 12 oz can of diet coke... mix it, pour in the pan (spray the pan with pam)... and bake... it takes less time to bake- usually 20 -25 minutes for a 9x13 pan....I've even made this to take to fellowships at church- and it's always gone!

Reba
Old 03-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

It's awesome! Though no one in my family liked the chocolate cake with coke(you can really taste the coke flavor),I am in love with Diet Rite red rasberry and white cake.I cut it into individual servings and freeze,so when I have a taste for something sweet,I feel like I can indulge and not feel guilty.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:39 PM   #5  

The red raspberry is good with the choc to me too.... or diet cherry coke.... there are so many different combinations...

I've also used this as the base for a jello poke cake (using sugar free jello)... top with cool whip... yum

Reba
Old 03-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #6  

Wow that is crazy! Who'd have thought!? I'm definitely going to try this out, since I think most cake mixes aren't too terrible as far as the calories go. hmmm, interesting. Thanks for posting that!
Old 03-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #7  
lisa

S/C/G: 209.5/193/135

Height: 5'2"

Wow!
Sounds yummy! How about the fat and calorie amounts? Would I just take the info from the dry cake mix and 0 cal for diet soda? I will have to try it! I am always in need of sweet snacks to keep me on track. This is my first time in the food threads. I am always looking for new recipes to try. Lately I have been on a soup kick. Any ideas for good low fat/cal soups?
Lisa
lottalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #8  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

Me personally, I'd be more worried about the aspertame in the diet soda. Most of them have it, though I've heard that Pepsi has it now where it doesn't. Don't know if that's true or not.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:26 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Pepsi One is made with splenda - 1 cal per can.

Diet Rite is another splenda brand. And diet coke has a variety out with Splenda as well.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:13 PM   #10  

Lottalisa -
I don't have a great recipe for soup, but I was just thinking about some of my favorite soups...the campells select butternut squash is so good. 90 calories per cup, and there are two servings in a box. Its really yummy.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:59 PM   #11  
lisa

S/C/G: 209.5/193/135

Height: 5'2"

paperdollme,
Thanks for the soup idea. I wasen't even aware that Campbells has soup in a box. I will have to try it. Right now I have potato soup in the crock pot. Made it a lower cal version by using low salt/sodium FF broth, skim milk and it calls for cheese so I will use Cabot's 75% free cheddar cheese. It certainly smells good!
Snow/ice day for us so it is hard not to eat while at home. Had healthy breakfast, 100 cal thomas english muffin with jelly and a piece of fruit and yogurt. Steak for dinner with baked potato and broccoli. Have not gone to gym yet today, feeling fat!
lottalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #12  

Another option for lower fat/lower calorie cake without empty refined flour calories: Make one of the snack cakes from a Southaven Farm whole grain mix (southavenfarm.com). Their chocolate mix makes an awesome chocolate cake. The cinnamon also makes a fantastic bundt cake. You add yogurt and milk and splenda and they turn out perfect. I use these all the time and feel better about eating them because they're a lot healthier than the white flour kind. I love their pancakes too.
ChadsMate is offline   Reply With Quote