Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 135/132/95

Height: 4' 9 1/2 "

When I feel like I really need some junk food, I treat myself to a 100 cal. snack pack. I love the grass hopper cookies and sun chips. Any kind of snack that is already measured is quick, especially when you are about to go over board.

Last edited by Katz3; 02-19-2007 at 01:26 PM. Reason: trying to add weight tracker.
Katz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:28 PM   #17  
Mel

I'm discovering alternative grains: quinoa right now. (But I really miss oatmeal!)
Aso, branching out in the fresh herb department has livened up my meals. Lately I've been chopping fresh cilantro into almost everything, with some lemon juice.
My previous herb kick was rosemary and garlic.

Mel

Last edited by Mel; 02-19-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #18  
Meg

Thank you, Baffled, those are terrific ideas! I especially want to try roasting garlic. I'm nuts about roasted green beans but never thought about garlic.

Mel, do you think that cilantro tastes a bit like soap?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:01 PM   #19  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Meg, my son says that about cilantro also. I love it, and so does DH, but DS hates it. I think that cilantro is one of those herbs that you either love or hate. Very few people are ambivalent about it.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #20  
Mel

why would I eat it if I thought it tasted like soap? I'm , but not that
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #21  
Baby steps

S/C/G: 280/270/160

Height: 5'8"

Apples! I can seriously make a meal off of a big juicy Granny Smith apple and a Jif peanut butter To-Go cup.

Cottage cheese has also found it's way into my fridge a lot recently. It's a nice substitute when I get tired of yogurt or Jello.

I've also gotten into making homemade Baba Ghanouj and keeping it stashed in the fridge. We bake off sweet potato chips and use those instead of regular chips. So yummy.

Last edited by Wildfyre; 02-19-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Wildfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:44 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Whole grain toast with natural chunky peanut butter.

Low fat Greek yogurt with fresh blackberries.

2 tbs maple pumpkin butter with a banana.

Baked sweet potatoes.

Red wine.

Dark chocolate.

Almonds and dried blueberries eaten together.

Granola with low fat maple yogurt.

Sugar snap peas.

Fabulous blueberry protein pancakes sold at the gym cafe - too expensive for everyday, sadly.

I like roasted garlic too, I have a little ceramic garlic roaster, I should definitely use it more often, thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to pick up a big head tomorrow.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:49 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophia123 View Post
I have been wanting to try the frozen fruit. How does the taste compare to fresh? Are the berries sweet, etc? Also, why does it need to be eaten partially frozen? Does it get mushy if it thaws totally? It is crunchy partially frozen? Sorry for all the questions! I've been dying to try it, but have been too scared to spend the money on it and waste it.
I prefer fresh, of course, but at 4.99 a pint, I just can't afford fresh blueberries everyday in the winter. I think frozen fruit tastes just as good, but it does have a different texture. Some frozen fruit I can eat frozen - especially frozen dark cherries, which I adore. Frozen mangos are also good to me straight out of the freezer bag (it's such a treat to get relatively inexpensive tasty mangos in the winter). Other kinds of frozen fruit I prefer in a smoothie - especially frozen strawberries, which are tasty, but too hard and too cold when frozen and too smushy when defrosted). Frozen pineapple is also great in smoothies.

I like to use frozen blueberries with plain yogurt. I nuke the blueberries for 30 seconds or so, to defrost them, and then stir them into yogurt. They are so juicy they turn the yogurt a great purple color. I also like to add them to apples that I microwave (cut up apple into cubes, microwave for 4 minutes, add 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, cover with saran wrap - it will splash - nuke for 1 more minute). I also use frozen blueberries to make a sauce for waffles.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:28 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 207/205/150

Height: 5'6

My favorite breakfast at the moment is:
2 whole wheat waffles
1/2 cup of plain organic yogurt
1/2 cup of frozen blueberries
2 tablespoons of chopped almonds

It is way better than syrup and you don't even notice the waffles are whole wheat!
Giovanni Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #25  

Right now I am totally in love with Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk in Vanilla and Chocolate flavors. 1 cup only has 40 calories, 3g fat and 20% of your daily calcium. I have to be very careful since one of my trigger binge foods is cereal. I buy the Kashi 7 grain puffed cereal that has 70 calories for 1 cup. Instead of putting sugar on top of the cereal I like to sprinkle stevia. This is my evening snack after a small dinner...

At trader joes in the frozen section they sell green garbonzo beans! I have never seen these before and let me tell you how convient they are to throw into a dish. The problem I've had in the past is not wanting to use a whole can of the beans in a dish or the pain of soaking the dried beans. This makes things a lot less complicated!

For breakfast I have pre-made steel cut oats. I make a pot of it on the weekend, then store it in the fridge so in the morning before work I just measure out 1/3c, mix some of the almond milk, some frozen fruit and sprinke some stevia and I'm good to go!
yogachick30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #26  

Right now I am totally in love with Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk in Vanilla and Chocolate flavors. 1 cup only has 40 calories, 3g fat and 20% of your daily calcium. I have to be very careful since one of my trigger binge foods is cereal. I buy the Kashi 7 grain puffed cereal that has 70 calories for 1 cup. Instead of putting sugar on top of the cereal I like to sprinkle stevia. This is my evening snack after a small dinner...

At trader joes in the frozen section they sell green garbonzo beans! I have never seen these before and let me tell you how convient they are to throw into a dish. The problem I've had in the past is not wanting to use a whole can of the beans in a dish or the pain of soaking the dried beans. This makes things a lot less complicated!

For breakfast I have pre-made steel cut oats. I make a pot of it on the weekend, then store it in the fridge so in the morning before work I just measure out 1/3c, mix some of the almond milk, some frozen fruit and sprinke some stevia and I'm good to go!
Old 02-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #27  

Old 02-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #28  

Old 02-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #29  

Old 02-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #30  
Atkins Chick

S/C/G: highest234/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2 1/2" the 1/2 matters!

Wow, lots of good ideas.

I'm adding more carbs back into my life and I really like frozen blueberries blended with milk.

I also like to take zuchinni and run it length wise along this kitchen slicer thing I have (forgot it's name, I call it the knuckle buster) and use the zuchinni instead of pasta or spaghetti squash.

I also have to say that I had cut out sugar and flour etc. and it worked great for a while, but the last few days I was feeling a bit slugish and off. I have increased my good carbs (fruits, whole grains more veggies) and I'm feeling pretty good. I may even incorporate a little sugar/flour once in a while but that will be a slow process, because I have to find the right balance for me as to not get cravings.
problysewin is offline   Reply With Quote