Fruit n Yogurt parfait?

• Hi, I recently discovered McDonald's fruit n yorgurt parfaits. They are small, but really good and 160 cals granola included. So i tried to recreate these with low-fat vanilla yogurt, blueberries, and strawberries. It didn't taste anything like McDonald's. Does anyone have tips?
  • Quote: Hi, I recently discovered McDonald's fruit n yorgurt parfaits. They are small, but really good and 160 cals granola included. So i tried to recreate these with low-fat vanilla yogurt, blueberries, and strawberries. It didn't taste anything like McDonald's. Does anyone have tips?
    Ahh, McDonald's - the food that can't be duplicated, so you have to go back, lol.

I swear they put secret drugs in their food to preserve a flavor you just can't get anywhere else

I've personally never had their parfaits, I should try one sometime.

However, do a search for "top secret recipes". There's a website that duplicates restaurant foods and the McDonald's Parfait is there. I can't copy the information here because it would be a violation of their site.
  • did you let it sit for a few hours? im pretty sure mcdonalds makes theirs the night before and so it sits in the fridge for a bit, it makes all the flavors go together?
  • Quote: I swear they put secret drugs in their food to preserve a flavor you just can't get anywhere else
    Actually, that's not too far from the truth. In the book "Fast Food Nation", they talk about how McDonalds develops 'signature' tastes for their foods, so that you can't get the exact same thing anywhere else.
  • Quote: Actually, that's not too far from the truth. In the book "Fast Food Nation", they talk about how McDonalds develops 'signature' tastes for their foods, so that you can't get the exact same thing anywhere else.
    I believe it!

I make myself a "mock" Big Mac at home. No, of course it doesn't taste like the original, but I've always been a Big Mac fanatic and I wanted to create something at home that's similar enough to satisfy that Big Mac Attack.

So I use a veggie burger (usually the Yves brand because they're more firm than Boca and taste char-grilled) a light bun (naturally omitting that 3rd piece of bread) light thousand island dressing and dehydrated onions. There's just something about the taste of those dehydrated onions that gives it that flavor. I just put the onions in a small bowl and pour water over them and let them soak. Then I add shredded lettuce, a slice of cheddar-flavored soy cheese and occasionally pickles. I don't always use pickles.

So anyway, the Big Mac ----

McDonald's Version:
    540 calories
    29 grams of fat
    75 mg of cholesterol

My Version:
    288 calories
    10 grams of fat (most of it is good fat because of the veggie burger and soy cheese)
    2.5 mg cholesterol

• I create my own using Yoplait's Thick & Creamy yogurt. I add fresh or frozen fruit depending on what I have on hand.
  • I believe McD's use a vanilla-flavored yogurt (of course you can always take your own plain yogurt and add a drop or two of vanilla extract), and probably the thicker variety too.

And McD's is probably more consistent in their quality of berries (which are a seasonal item and harder (or pricier) for us to get yearround from the market) -- try adding whatever fruit is in season.

And minor segway, oh god- I can't begin to tell you the yogurt obsession we're having here in L.A. area --- Pinkberry and Kiwiberry and Red Mangoes popping up left and right -- basically all joints that self-serve frozen yogurt and you can top with various fruit toppings-- and charged by the ounce.
  • MacDonald's has chemists creating synthetic flavors for them in labs on the New Jersey Turnpike. You won't be able to replicate their recipes at home. But you can make delicious smoothies and parfaits--just experiment. Real food tastes better than fake food anyway. (Or so we tell ourselves.)
  • They use:

~vanilla yogurt (I find that Yoplait Light vanilla is closest in taste.)

~CINNAMON flavored granola (very fine, not "chunky")

~FROZEN strawberries and blueberries-not fresh.

They layer a few berries on bottom, yogurt in the middle, and a few berries on top. Then you want it to sit overnight-because the berries will unthaw and mix with the yogurt a bit-causing the berry juice, and the flavors will combine. It needs to do this for it to taste right.

Put about 1 tablespoon of cinnamon granola on top right before serving.
  • That sounds really, really good Aphil.
  • I havent tried them yet. But they look delicious.
  • Oh man, I LOVE MickeyD's fruit parfaits! They are the only 'fast food' I'm allowing myself to have.

Aphil, thanks so much for the recipe. I'm going to try it out.
  • Hey, sorry to poste this late but...

I used to work at McDonald's. I know all their 'secrets' hehe.

The parfaits are made with Vanilla Yougurt (I don't remember the label, but I'm pretty sure it's full-fat) and the strawberries and blueberries are the frozen type.

They're made very early in the morning, around 5-6 am, so if you're buying yours at 7pm chances are that yes, everything will have gotten soggy and mixed together. But anyway, they're usually frozen when put in the parfaits and they just thaw in the container.

The granola comes in a plastic unlabled package, but I think there's nothing special about that and you can just buy it from anywhere. Oh and I believe it's a 180 calories without the granola, at least that's what the nutrition info says on the charts anway.

I really think there's crack in the food or something. I mean the icecream there is nothing special right? But something about it makes you just want more!! Aha, it's probably just me...
  • I know this was posted a while ago, but just to let you know...the yogurt that McDonald's uses in their parfaits is Danone brand.

Personally, when I tried Tim Horton's Yogurt and Berries, McDonald's parfaits completely lost their appeal. I think Timmy's is SO much better! (and only 150-160 calories per serving)
  • I feel like I'm the only one who's never tried a McDonald's Fruit n' Yogurt Parfait. I keep hearing about them, but it's probably for the better that I don't. What I don't know, I can't miss, right? Although Aphil's recipe does sound delicious. I might give it a try, only substituting this great sounding (have yet to bust into it) organic blueberry granola that I bought in the bulk section of HEB.