Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-22-2007, 03:40 PM   #1  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default A pound of ground beef!

This has probably been around, but haven't seen one in awhile, I have a pound of Extra Lean ground beef in my fridge to make for dinner tonight, but NO IDEA what I want to make with it! I'm thinking something taco-casserole-y or chili or something spicy....what would you make? Thanks in advance for the fab ideas! I'm kinda spaghetti-ed out for now. Maybe a green pepper soup?
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #2  
Alicia

S/C/G: 259/259/195

Height: 5'6"

Well, in the way of taco casserole, I would make a Mexican lasagna. Oh course I don't know what ingredients you have on hand. Just cook the ground beef, add salsa and a can of beans (pinto, black beans, your choice). Layer it like a lasagna, except with tortillas, i prefer flour, but its your choice. You will also need some lowfat chesse to make it somewhat healthy. It is very yummy!!!!
lois lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #3  

I would make burritos with low fat cheese, tons of veggies, salsa, and the lowest calorie whole wheat tortillas I could find!! "Yum-o!"
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #4  
hara hachi bu

The first thing that came to my mind was a soft-taco/burrito thing, too. I would dice tomatoes, onions, cilantro, salsa, hot sauce, lettuce, green/yellow/red peppers, and whatever else you have to make some build-your-own tacos. With sprouted-grain tortillas.

Otherwise, meatloaf, maybe?
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Here are a couple of meal suggestions.

Taco Salad- ground beef, taco seasoning, onions, green peppers, lettuce, salsa, and mabey some baked chips.

Burritos – mix together browned ground beef, fat free refried beans, and low fat shreaded cheese in to large flour tortillas. (You could add veggies like onions, green peppers and diced tomatoes to the mix). Wrap and bake on 350 degrees for 20 minutes with salsa over top. (This freezes really well if you do everything but bake. When you want them just take them out of the freezer, add salsa, and bake).

Stuffed Green Peppers
Cut the tops off green peppers and remove the insides. Boil peppers for about 20 minutes. Brown the ground beef with some garlic. Mix ground beef, cooked brown rice, and salsa or tomato paste. Spoon mixture in into the green peppers and bake for 20 – 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Also I always rinse my ground beef after I pan fry it to remove any extra ground beef.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:15 PM   #6  

You could make oven-baked meatballs with a quick tomato sauce (there's a great thread going on the Whole Foods forum on recipes for spaghetti sauce), or even just brown the beef with a little onion, garlic and seasonings and add it to the tomato sauce as crumbles. Serve over rice or pasta, and you're good to go.
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:46 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 151/151/130... was 190's in 06

Height: 5'4"

You could make chili, just add tomatos, beans, veggies, some water, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic. Whats nice about chili is that you can pretty much put whatever you want in it. And it tastes even better the next day.
helpmelose is offline   Reply With Quote