Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-24-2007, 01:24 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default what's your favorite salad dressing? and why? :)

What brands and varieties of salad dressings do you love? What do you look for in a dressing? Do you stick with common supermarket brands, or do you search out premium specialty foods to dress your salad?

I love, love, love a good salad, and am always looking for something new.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #2  

You are gonna get mad at me, but I'll tell you anyway. Trader Joe's has several really yummy ones - a ranch one and a blue cheese one that are divine. I still like Hidden Valley Ranch a lot. I've also started making my own with olive or canola oils, different vinegars and spices or different mustards. Nice thing about making your own is that you aren't locked into a whole bottle of just one flavor. I want to get some other oils to play with too, like walnut oils.. etc.

I look for low calorie, no/low saturated fat and no transfats and it cannot taste like caca!!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:44 PM   #3  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

I prefer my own homemade vinaigrette on salad these days: equal parts balsamic vinegar and lemon juice then about 1/2 a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Tangy and sweet.

If I have to buy one from the supermarket and I try not to because to be honest I would much prefer the full-fat-bad-for-you-chunky-blue-cheese kind , I buy Wishbone Light Just 2 Good Thousand Island. It tastes almost as good as the real thing and doesn't have that nasty, acrid aftertaste that some light dressings have. Walmart has it.
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:45 PM   #4  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Annie's Naturals brand. Lowfat Raspberry and Lowfat Gingerly
These dressings have high quality natural ingredients and are delicious.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #5  
prepare for the BEST time

yes, the caca taste really turns me off too........

OK, I like/crave something *tangy*......rice vinegar, low sodium soy mixed together with some lemon juice.

Newman's light Sun-dried tomato cut the calories with lemon juice.

I cut plain dried tomatoes into the dressings too.

Powdered Hidden Valley with nonfat sour cream, great with cucumbers, veggies (its more like dip, but you can probably thin it to a dressing too)

I very rarely use oil, just a tsp. of olive here and there.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/159/148

Height: 5'6"

I really like Kraft's Light Done Right Raspberry Vinaigrette. A little goes a long way and it has a good balance of sweet and tangy.
Spideranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:16 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I'm super picky...I don't like vinegarettes or anything oily or too runny. I also don't really like veggies, so when I make a salad, I know I use more than 1 serving of dressing because that's the flavro I actually like.

Anyway, I've been doing fat-free ranch dressing mixed with barbecue sauce--very yummy, no fat, and not too bad on other "bad stuff" depending on the type of barbecue sauce you use (I check labels for things like "all natural" ingredients, no HFCS, and preferably also no Splenda, as it has been leaving an icky aftertaste for me lately).

I used to ONLY eat thousand island or French dressing, but then I discovered honey mustard dressing, which is pretty much impossible to make both yummy and healthy
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #8  

Renee's Pear Guave Dressing is REALLY good! A nice change. I enjoy mostly all of Renee's dressings.

I love fruity dressings and another fave of mine is President's Choice Mango Dressing. It's fabulous! Great on baby greens.

And there are days when all I want on my greens is a bit of fresh lemon juice and a sprinkling of salt.

Last edited by simone1ca; 01-24-2007 at 03:15 PM.
simone1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm going to try something new. I just ordered some Z Trim and am going to use it in a package of dry Hidden Valley Ranch. I'll let you know what the outcome is.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I really like the fattening ones, blue cheese and ranch but since those are a bit too rich calorically I generally either eat no salad dressing or I eat salsa as my salad dressing.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #11  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I use the full fat ones, either a ranch or blue cheese. At home, I usually take a T. of dressing and mix in either a T. of salsa or taco sauce, to stretch the amount of dressing for fewer calories. While dining out, I always order Blue cheese on the side and dip my fork in.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I use either fresh lemon juice or a drop of balsamic vinegar - both virtually no calories.

I also like to add foods to my salad, which gives them plenty of flavor. Like grilled chicken. Or I make a baby spinach/red leaf lettuce salad with sliced strawberries and cubed mango and a few slivered almonds.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:54 PM   #13  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Since my salad dressing is counted as part of my fat allowance for the day, I make my own, fresh for each salad. I use 2 tsp. of different kinds of oil, like sesame or walnut, but usually flax oil since I like the nutty flavor and it's monounsaturated and high in omega 3. I whisk that with the juice of 3 wedges of lemon and a good dijon mustard. I don't use any prepared dressings.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:55 PM   #14  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I make my own - a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil & balsamic vinegar, a crack or two of peppercorns, and spoonful of whole grain mustard. Classic and somewhat versatile (if I have leftover herbs I can toss some in.)

I generally like mixing my dressing at the bottom of my salad bowl before piling the greens on top, that way I know how much dressing (and calories) I'll be tossing into the salad (I'm a bit too clumsy for the dressing-dipping method.)
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:30 PM   #15  

Height: 5'9"

I make my own, too, with a little water, a little extra virgin olive oil, miso paste, black pepper, and hot chili powder. It's really good! Without the water, it's also an excellent marinade.
iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote