Crock pot Brown Rice

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Any ideas on if this would work and what proportions to use?

Found on one the net that said 5 cups water to 2 cups rice, bit I want to make a lot and freeze it.

I love the idea of popping it in the crock in the AM and getting it frozen in the PM.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Yes, I do that. It works just fine. You could just double the recipe I think.
  • Thanks! You are alsways so helpful to everybody in here... you deserve a happy dance!
  • That sounds like a good idea.
  • OK,

I tried this today. Cooked on high for 3 hours like the directions said on the website and it was horrible! Very mushy. Blah! Any suggestions?
  • If it was too mushy - reduce the water or cook it longer (that's what I would do on the stove).
  • I don't know if you have one or not, but I've found the best way to cook any type of rice is in my rice steamer. It comes out perfect every time.

Rice steamers are a great investment
  • I do ours in the microwave. I have a rice setting on it, but I used to cook rice in our old one which didn't have such a setting. There's no muss, no fuss.

For a double batch, I do this: Combine 2 cups long grain brown rice with about 4.5 cups cold water. Salt is optional. I use a large, glass Pyrex bowl that's about 18" in diameter at the top.

In a regular microwave, I cooked it on high for 7 minutes, then on medium for 25-30 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed. Then I fluff it with a fork and let it sit, covered, another few minutes. It turns out great this way.

Brown rice takes a little longer to cook than white rice, and microwave wattages differ. I like the rice to be a little chewy. Man, nothing smells better than the nutty basmati rice cooking. Yum!
  • What kind of rice did you use - Instant, Par-boiled (Uncle Ben's) or regular. What was the cooking time on the box? Type of rice used is a big factor in the cooking time.
  • I'm not sure to whom your question was addressed, so I'll blather first. LOL I don't use parboiled rice. I like to get grains as unprocessed as possible, so count on taking a little extra time for cooking them. We dislike the split-open puffiness of the processed stuff, love the nutty chewy texture and taste of the unprocessed.

Quote: What kind of rice did you use - Instant, Par-boiled (Uncle Ben's) or regular. What was the cooking time on the box? Type of rice used is a big factor in the cooking time.
  • Wow, you guys really work for your rice Count me in as a frozen rice buyer. Trader Joe's sells organic brown rice in boxes in the frozen food dection. The box has 3 pounches of rice, and each pouch has 2 servings. You just take out a pouch, cut a small slit in it to allow steam out, and toss it in the microwave for 3 minutes. Love it!
  • Quote: Wow, you guys really work for your rice Count me in as a frozen rice buyer. Trader Joe's sells organic brown rice in boxes in the frozen food dection. The box has 3 pounches of rice, and each pouch has 2 servings. You just take out a pouch, cut a small slit in it to allow steam out, and toss it in the microwave for 3 minutes. Love it!
    I'm too much of a price-watcher and can't see paying so much for processed stuff when it's four or five times as expensive. The convenience is great, I just can't pay that. Now computer stuff...That's another story. But I do buy refurbs there, still. LOL
  • Quote: I'm too much of a price-watcher and can't see paying so much for processed stuff when it's four or five times as expensive. The convenience is great, I just can't pay that.
    Yeah, I don't do it for many things, but after getting up at 4:15am and working 8-10 hours, I like things that are quick and easy (we eat a LOT of chicken that I just marinate and then throw in a pan to bake). Most of my food is the cheaper stuff, but we only eat rice maybe once a week or so, so I'm not buying it all the time.
  • Quote: Yeah, I don't do it for many things, but after getting up at 4:15am and working 8-10 hours, I like things that are quick and easy (we eat a LOT of chicken that I just marinate and then throw in a pan to bake). Most of my food is the cheaper stuff, but we only eat rice maybe once a week or so, so I'm not buying it all the time.
    I shudder to think of a daily 4:15am wake-up call. I am working part-time now, but the earliest I have to get up is 6:00am for the earliest shifts. If you ate more rice, it would make sense to cook a double batch at the beginning of the week and just reheat portions throughout the week. But with your days, I can totally understand the want of some convenience!
  • Quote: What kind of rice did you use - Instant, Par-boiled (Uncle Ben's) or regular. What was the cooking time on the box? Type of rice used is a big factor in the cooking time.
    Um... it was a bag of regular brown rice I got from Aldi's -- their "gourmet" brand of stuff. Can't remember the cooking time for "normal" cooking, I just followed the directions on the website that I found (did an ASK.com search for Crockpot brown rice)