Old 01-11-2006, 10:48 PM   #1  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Good Strength Training Video??

Im looking for a good full body strength workout with weights and maybe a stability ball, something that is easy for a beginner but can be used as I advance as well, does anyone know of any?? Thanks.
Trixie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:14 PM   #2  
one leg press at a time

I would definitely say Fitprime/Kickbutt, The Firm and TLT fit that bill. Iknow the fitprime/Kickbutt series and the TLT's have previews of their videos on the websites.
IMO, All fitprimes are good for strength, Strong Bear,Push/Pull, and possibly Crunch Time from the Kickbutt series are better at strength.
I have not yet ordered the TLT's, but I have seen reviews from some people who have recently gotten them and the clips show that these have modifications for a beginner and advanced. Fitprime/Kickbutt also does this wth some of the cast doing modifications.
The Firm has tons out, but I am really partial to the original (pre 200 era) workouts. You might try looking at your local library and see if you can find some that you like.
Firmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #3  

Try Kathy Smith's Lift Weights to Lose Weight, volume 2. Vol 1 is good, but vol 2 has a stability ball component. I really love her weight training videos because she is such a stickler for form, and she keeps up with the latest research to give you the best workout possible in the least amount of time.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:35 PM   #4  

Any of the Firm or Cathe Friedrich weight lifting videos are all good.
racegirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:56 PM   #5  

I've tried the Firm, Cathe, Slim Series, Kathy Smith, Denise Austin, and many more and the one strength workout that I am SORE for days (with the others, I wouldn't feel it the day after) is Jari Love, Get Ripped or "Ripped" as some call it. You can see it at CollageVideo. They show it using different weights - when I first tried it - I had to use five and three pounds (this is after using 8, 10, 15, and 20 with Cathe for over a year and half!!!! And Cathe's are tough). Now I'm using heavier weights. I'm only doing it once a week but I need to add another time in there which I hope to do tomorrow night.

Rachelle
RachelleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:33 PM   #6  

You might also try Karen Voigt's Burn and Firm. It is made up of 5 minute intervals and there's nothing chirpy about Karen, just serious work.
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

Default I Want That Body

Give Tamilee Webb's "I Want That Body" a try. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this DVD, esp. for lower body and ab strength. Tamilee is not cheesey at all. I cannot stand Denise Austin and Tamilee does not bother me one bit. She's calm, encouraging and provides good form tips.

Here's the DVD on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...s=dvd&v=glance
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:07 PM   #8  

"You might also try Karen Voigt's Burn and Firm. It is made up of 5 minute intervals and there's nothing chirpy about Karen, just serious work"

I just got this one. I did it THREE days ago and my triceps are still killing me. I went way to heavy on the weights.

I would recomend Kathy too. I have tried so many different videos and I really think hers are the best for beginners.
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:01 PM   #9  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Ok, now the search mode is back on and I found some other threads regardign my post earlier today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firmgirl
IMO, All fitprimes are good for strength, Strong Bear,Push/Pull, and possibly Crunch Time from the Kickbutt series are better at strength.

Are these with weights for upper body? Do you need any other equipment? TAI!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:05 PM   #10  

I give another enthusiastic vote to Tamilee Webb's "I Want That Body!" DVD. It's got 2 arms, 2 buns, and 2 abs workouts--each 15 minutes long--and at two different skill levels so it grows with you as you progress! You need nothing but a set of hand weights and a chair for this DVD (though I have done without the chair by doing tricep dips off my coffee table and using a stepstool for the lower body work.

The newest toning DVD I've tried was a rental from the 10-Minute Solution series called Target Tone for Beginners. Very good, though not as challenging as Tamilee (which may be good for a beginner) and the instructor is just a TAD too cheery for my taste but it was a VERY good workout.

For a more advanced workout, Keli Roberts' Step It Strong is incredible for both toning and cardio (you need an aerobic step as well as 2 sets of hand weights) but I found the step aerobics portions to be way too complicated for my taste--but then I hate what I call the "dancey foo foo" style of aerobics where you are changing directions constantly.
SheriaVa is offline   Reply With Quote