Old 12-26-2005, 03:37 PM   #1  

Smile Cathe

Does anybody else do her videos? She does step and has some toning workouts as well. Most of her stuff is really advanced, but recently she has some "intermediate" level step and toning routines out there.

I have knee issues and am 56 years old, so I don't think the really high impact ones would be right for me. However, I have found several that work for a high intermediate exerciser like myself -- her Low Impact Step workout, LowMax workout (awesome, and my favorite workout of the moment), High Step Circuit workout and Basic Step/Body Fusion.

I wonder if anybody else does her workouts, and if so, does she have others that might be okay for these old knees?
DancingAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:03 AM   #2  

I did Cathe for a year and half up until I had a hysterectomy last December and since then, I've had a hard time getting back into her. I did order the last bunch - the Hardcores but I didn't preorder her new ones (I don't think they've even been taped yet). Low Max is a favorite of many . . . it doesn't hit me at all. I do like her Basic 30 minute step tape. I know many can't do most of her workouts because of the knee issue. videofitness.com has a video previews and they may say on there whether or not they are easier on the knees depending on if the person giving the review has that issue. I burnt myself out and I have a lot of her workouts and spent a lot of money on them. I won't sell them yet - hopefully I will do some of them at some point. Right now I am doing Jari Love's Get Ripped and I feel that strength workout more then I ever did a strength tape of Cathe's - which I don't get. Cathe's weight workouts are tough. I never looked like I lifted weights though.

Good luck! If you preordered her new batch, let me know how you like them when you get them.

Rachelle
RachelleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:35 AM   #3  

Thanks, Rachelle! I have pre-ordered one of the upcoming releases, the Low Impact Circuit. The website says it is an advanced workout, but low impact, so I think I'll be able to do it.

My knees have no problem with the older Firm workouts that have some mixed impact stuff, but I'm concerned about just how much high impact most of her stuff has. For example -- IMAX2 or IMAX3 -- does anybody know just how high the percentage of high impact stuff is? Or KickMax?

I know you can mix and match and there are also pre-mixes available -- I love that feature of her workouts. I wonder if I "edit out" a lot of the high impact stuff just how much would be left. Anybody have any wisdom to share?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2006, 08:12 PM   #4  

Default I am huge Cathe fan

And I modify every one of her workouts to low impact with no problem. I am 43 and want to be kind to knees... I don't have knee problems now and I don't want them in the future.

To answer you questions....however, I don't do the Imax's ... They are just harder IMO to modify to low... Imax 3 is extremely high impact and I have never attempted it after previewing it. I have heard some very advanced exercisers on other forums say the impact is just too much on Imax 3... Most, however love Imax 2.

I do all of Cathe's kickboxing.... Cardio Kicks, Kick Punch and Crunch and Kick Max with no impact very easily... it is no problem at all to modify the moves to low impact. Kick Max does have a very high impact section in the middle called the blasts, that I have done and modified... but, I usually do just the kickbox combo drills in the first section and the leg drills in the last section for a great one hour workout that leaves me a sweaty mess.

And one of the greatest things about Cathe workouts on DVD is of course the premixes... I love them ... you literally have countless options with the premixes.

I have all her intermediate and beginner workouts too and use them all as is with no problem. I just keep at least one foot on the ground all the time on the advanced workouts.

Love CAthe... IMO she is the best video fitness instructor out there. I have seen great results with her workouts.
MaggieBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #5  

Thanks, Maggie -- I appreciate the info! I agree Cathe is the best in the business. Her workouts fly by. I'm glad her website lets you preview the workouts! It really helps. I just purchased her Cardio Classics Vol. 1, and they look doable -- with a little modification. I'm excited to try them.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
Old 01-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #6  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for all of the info in this thread. I've been doing WATP tapes, and love them, but wanted to try something different (maybe burn off a higher # of calories per workout)... I tried one of Billys BootCamp videos, but I'm not ready for that (I'm not coordinated enough either), and thought about Turbo Jam, again, I don't think I'm ready for that, so I'm thinking maybe some Cathe videos might just be the thing! Thanks again!
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:50 PM   #7  
Fit Mom

I LOVE Cathe!! I have used her dvd's for several years now and think she is amazing as an instructor.

I think the key to anything, and she will state this over and again, is to listen to your body. Modify, modify, modify...especially for the knees. I injured my knee summer before last in Yosemite, and it has never quite felt the same. I also just turned 40. These two things make me more careful than ever.

Two of my favorites are Muscle Endurance and Power Hour. These are overall weight tapes, not technically cardio. I sweat and my heart pounds, but I am taking it easy on the knees without all the impact. She cues you very well with squats and such, and when I really focus I have no trouble with my knees.

Best wishes!
Dani53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:28 AM   #8  

I have been doing Cathe for about 6 months now. IMAX 3 is very high impact, IMAX 2 is a little less intense. I do believe that you can modify both for lower impact. I have problems with my knees when I run, which i eventually had to give up. So far, with a little modification, especially with lunges, none of Cathe videos bother me. KickMax has a rather intense blast segment at the end with a lot of jumping, but I modify it with lower impact versions of the moves.
Kick, Punch and Crunch is very easy on the knee.
robbirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:50 AM   #9  

My mother and I ADORE Cathe. She is one of the best out there. I happened to come upon her when we got Direct TV for the first time. I was flicking through the channels and came upon Fit TV and I think she was doing IMAX 2. Even though I'd never even heard of her (I was really into Tamilee Webb at the time) I couldn't help but to try it out and I LOVED it! I told my mother about her and I have to say that she is one the only fitness instructers that we workout to now. She really got me into kickboxing with Kick, Punch, & Crunch and I love that she has so many different styles that she does. I think the hardest one that I've come across though is Boot Camp. My mother and I could not get through that for the life of us, but we keep trying. Her workouts can kick your butt, but she keeps you motivated to where you can't help but to come back. As I'm typing this message, I just got done with Kick, Punch & Crunch and am about to do Step, Jump & Pump for the first time.

P.S.- She really has gotten me into Kickboxing!
peachwaterfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:07 PM   #10  

Thanks to all who replied! I recently got Cathe's Cardio Classics Volume 1 which contains 3 step workouts -- Step Jam, Step Heat and one other (Step Max?). Anyway, these are from a few years back and they are really really wonderful and fun to do. Time just flies with Cathe -- she is the BEST instructor out there, IMO.

Another instructor I love is Christi Taylor. She's another one who adds in interesting and fun choreography. It takes the "work" out of the workout, because it's way too fun!

There are days you don't want to think too hard, so it's good to have basic but fun and challenging stuff like Gilad, Kathy Smith and the Firm. But Cathe and Christi are spoiling me!

I'm thinking of giving IMAX2 a try...
Old 01-30-2006, 01:24 PM   #11  
Countess Walks-on-Water

I was just about to say - how about Christi Taylor? Funny. I do love Cathe, and she was my main instructor for a couple of years, but lately, I'm doing almost all Christi for cardio. Cathe can leave me feeling a bit, well, beat up. Her strength work is excellent, but my old favorites have me staring at the clock these days. I'm sure it goes in cycles. Gotta mix it up!

I used to do Imax when I was pregnant - just modified WAY down. But a few of them - Bootcamp, HSTA - there isn't any point for me. It's like I'm watching Cathe while doing a completely different workout.

Gin Miller's Intense Moves is a GREAT interval workout, for someone who doesn't want to put quite as much stress on their body.
treasaigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 209/178/145

Height: 5'10"

Smile Cathe Rocks!!!

I started with Cathe's beginner workouts and fell completely in love with exercising. I actually look forward to it every morning. MORNING, I've never been a morning person before, but now I really look forward to it. Cathe teaches you the moves and is very understanding about taking it slow until you are confident before going on to the next level... You gotta try it. I stumbled on her videos by complete accident one day surfing the web for different exercises, and I'm glad I did.

Carrie
carrie123 is offline   Reply With Quote