Old 05-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #1  
Florence

S/C/G: 155/152/132

Height: 5'6''

Default P90X or INSANITY?

For those of you who know both of these systems... what would you say is the best? i am sure they are both effective, i am just looking to do that will focus more on weightloss...
maybe one is better to start with and then move onto the second?
thanx!
loser59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

They're totally different.

P90X is the more well rounded program. A typical week has 3 days of resistance training, 1 day of yoga, 2 days of cardio (plyo and kenpo) and an optional stretch day for the 7th day or you can just rest. Some gear is required. At minimum you will need exercise bands. Most people go ahead and get a pull up bar and free weights. It does a good job of providing alternative moves for beginners or people with limitations. There are built in breaks.

Insanity is cardio based. There is body weight strength training involved (push ups and such) but it's a non-stop . You don't have to buy special gear to do the program. It doesn't do a good job of providing alternative moves for beginners or people with limitations. Breaks are if you hit the pause button.

I've done both programs and enjoyed them. Tony (P90X) is a goofy guy, but you end up saying his jokes along with him and you feel like you get to know everyone in the group. Shawn (Insanity) is incredibly motivating and high energy. Insanity trashed my knees, though. I didn't have knee problems prior to starting Insanity, but the end of the 2nd phase my knees were so bad that I had difficulty even walking. Apparently all the jumping wasn't good for me. Your mileage may vary.

FWIW, weight loss is going to depend a lot more on how clean your diet is than which program you choose.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #3  
Florence

that was extremelly helpful, thanx!
i have bad knees already, don't need to make things worse... i knew that p90x needs extra equipment, and it is something that sort of put me off, but how you put it i think it might be worth paying for those things and doing something that seems more balanced
thank you!!!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

You're welcome.

You can do the entire P90X program with just exercise bands. To do the "pull ups" you put the bands over the top hinge on your door (or they make a bracket you can hook to the top of your doorway). They always have one person in the group demonstrating how to do the move using bands instead of a pull up bar or free weights. You might try that to start. You can also use other things for weights- soup cans, milk jugs full of water, etc. It doesn't have to be expensive.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 05-14-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:45 AM   #5  
Florence

you are right! thanx!! i have a pull up bar cause of my bf (it's permanently there, on the doorway) but 1-i am afraid i will break the door frame or something and 2-i did try to do it and it was nearly impossible!! so i might try the band idea.
i'll try to check some equipement out on friday.. thank you so much!

PS: i like the quote on your signature

Last edited by loser59; 05-15-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

If you haven't made a decision yet, here is a great website that compares the two programs:
Decide if P90X or Insanity Is Better for You

I'm still on the fence, but I'm leaning towards Insanity simply because it doesn't require any extra gear.
augeremt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #7  

I want to try p90x so bad.
I will come back to this thread when I try it.
Ijustcant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #8  
Here to Learn

Genesiser- the only routine in P90X that lasts 90 minutes is the yoga. You can switch that to X Stretch if you want. The rest of the programs last under an hour. And the "you get more bulky" thing is only true for men (and usually they like it). Women simply don't have enough testosterone to bulk up, unless they take steroids. I have lost 40 lbs doing P90X and I definitely don't look bulkier.

I'm not knocking Insanity. It's a great program. But so is P90X.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Genesiser- the only routine in P90X that lasts 90 minutes is the yoga. You can switch that to X Stretch if you want. The rest of the programs last under an hour. And the "you get more bulky" thing is only true for men (and usually they like it). Women simply don't have enough testosterone to bulk up, unless they take steroids. I have lost 40 lbs doing P90X and I definitely don't look bulkier.

I'm not knocking Insanity. It's a great program. But so is P90X.
The yoga x is long- but very practical. Tony Horton stated that it is the best video for those 40+. The first time I did it I was couldn't believe how much I was sweating from doing yoga.
Coachadaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/227/155

Height: 5'10"

Have done both programs, no equipment. I am in such bad shape that I could barely make it through the workout alone much less with extra! The reviews above are spot on. They are crazy workouts, you will pour sweat, guaranteed! But it is so worth it. You know where you are at and what you are ready for. These programs are not playing. They will kick your behind but they are fun! Good luck!
TiggyPengin is offline   Reply With Quote