Old 03-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/130/110

Height: 5'4"

Default P90X Results

Hi everyone,

A question for anyone that has been doing P90X consistently: What are your results like? I've been doing it consistently (i.e. 5-6 days each week) for about 18 months, and Level 2 and 3 of Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred on my off-days, and recently up the ante with weights instead of water bottles.

I've noticed my shoulders getting broader, and while I have not been getting smaller, I've noticed that my arms are getting muscles. I'm not sure if I appreciate that, especially since I am gaining weight. (This may be also due to my PCOS diagnosis.

What have your results been like?

Last edited by AllisonR; 03-16-2012 at 06:01 PM.
AllisonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

I am on day 54..I have lost a good 10 lbs so far...but I have also been calorie counting like crazy...trying to stick to a net of 1200 calories. I have toned up a lot, I guess I like the muscle look to a point. If you don't wanna bulk up keep the weights light with higher reps.
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #3  
The Last 10lbs!

Allison, I haven't been doing P90X but I am doing Chalean Extreme. Honestly, from what I have read and what I have done, I would recommend more weight, less reps because you will NOT bulk up. The only reason to lift light would be if you are pregnant or just getting back into it after time off. We don't have the testosterone to bulk up unless we're taking some kind of supplement. It just isn't possible in women like it is in men. I have got a lot of definition in my arms and legs from 2 months of lifting 2-3 times per week (and a bit of on and off lifting prior to Christmas) and I am lifting as heavy as I can possibly bear (25lb dumbbells in each hand on squats and deadlifts, and overhead presses at 10lbs in each hand because my shoulders are quite weak) and I am really pleased with the results. I am not bulking up at all, and I haven't lost weight, but my clothes are looser and my arms and shoulders look so much better than they used to. My thighs and legs are tighter and getting harder and stronger and the skin on my thighs (which was pretty cellulite-y) is so much smoother. You should ditch the water bottles and lift some really heavy weights!

For proof that you won't turn into the Hulk if you lift heavy, check out this awesome story: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/...ng-super-hero/

Last edited by freedomreins; 03-18-2012 at 10:57 AM.
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #4  

I don't know much about the PCOS, but if you think you are bulking up abnormally ask your doctor. Women do not bulk up like crazy, freedom is right, but again I am not sure what you would expect with PCOS. Has the doctor put you on hormone therapy?
Old 03-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/130/110

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses so far. I guess I should clarify that I've been using 5lbs in the last 6 months. I see muscle definition in my arms, and everything seems tighter, but I also look stockier for some reason.

I just notice in this blazer of mine, the arms have been getting really tight and my back is like stretching it.

I just got put on metformin to regulate my periods, instead of BCP due to the possibility of weight gain. My blood work says that there hasn't been an increase in androgens. Only my ultrasounds show symptoms of PCOS, and of course my unexplained weight gain and amenorrhea.

So we'll see after a few weeks, if it gets better when the meds start to take effect.

Last edited by AllisonR; 03-18-2012 at 12:11 PM.
AllisonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR View Post
I just notice in this blazer of mine, the arms have been getting really tight and my back is like stretching it.
If you are doing full body pullups while doing p90x then that is enough weight to build muscle in your back. pullups work alot of the lats and the "v" in your back.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #7  

Ok, well I guess stick with the meds and only time will tell! If your really worried about bulking up too much stick with the lean P90x version..it has more cardio and less weight lifting.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #8  
The Last 10lbs!

Good luck Allison! I too don't know how PCOS affects the body but if you are seeing a faster-than-expected increase in muscle bulk definitely talk to your doctor on your next visit.
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote