Old 01-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Motivated Newbie needs opinions

So a little background:
I am a 24 year old mother of one (5 years) I was static at 145 pre pregnancy but also carried it well. I am now 195 and am very motivated to lose weight. I have been told that I dont look my weight which is encouraging, however just knowing my weight makes me cringe.
I want to start a work out (dvd at home) regiment but can only devote an hour max to working out. I have trimmed my portion sizes and was 200 at the start of 2012, so 5 lbs later here I am wanting more.
My fiance ordered P90x, but I was told its not the best for actual weightloss but more for strength and toning. I looked at the power 90 program but honestly dont want to justify the 200 for the program unless it will work.
Any insight and or reccomendations for a work out program would be greatly appreciated
ictangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #2  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

ictangel, I would recommend visiting collage.com . I've ordered dvds and videos from there, or just used their incredible database of reviews of workouts. You can search for your goals (weightloss; weightloss and toning; flexibility, strength, whatever!) and you get a list of possibilities, along with reviews.

By trimming your portion sizes, as you are already doing, and then working out for even less an hour a day, you will progress!

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-01-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Removed reference to Spam post that was deleted
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #3  

Power90 was a yawn fest for me. There are so many other workouts you can buy for the money. I agree with vermontmom about looking at collagevideo.com. There you can view clips and read reviews. Totalfitnessdvds.com is another website that shows clips and may have better pricing. Out of the p90x program that you bought you could probably do kempo x and the yoga workouts.

Also, you can get complete workouts on youtube too. Look for sparkpeople, yogatic, diethealth, shadowboxtv has keli roberts complete kickbox workout and exercisetv are a few that I know has complete workouts. There's lots of taebo, yoga, zumba, walk away the pounds and other goodies to be found on youtube.

I bought a lot of my videos on the amazon marketplace, used. If you go that route just look at the feedback for the person selling and pay attention to the product description.

Last edited by PhillyGirl2012; 02-05-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: add
PhillyGirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ictangel View Post
So a little background:
I am a 24 year old mother of one (5 years) I was static at 145 pre pregnancy but also carried it well. I am now 195 and am very motivated to lose weight. I have been told that I dont look my weight which is encouraging, however just knowing my weight makes me cringe.
I want to start a work out (dvd at home) regiment but can only devote an hour max to working out. I have trimmed my portion sizes and was 200 at the start of 2012, so 5 lbs later here I am wanting more.
My fiance ordered P90x, but I was told its not the best for actual weightloss but more for strength and toning. I looked at the power 90 program but honestly dont want to justify the 200 for the program unless it will work.
Any insight and or reccomendations for a work out program would be greatly appreciated
Even though P90x is less cardio than some other videos it is still great for weight loss. You need to build more lean muscle to burn more calories. Besides, I burned about 400 calories just doing the leg and back workout! That isn't bad for non cardio! I started it about 2 weeks ago and lost a few lbs already but I have also been cutting calories to about 1200-1300 a day plus the P90x!
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #5  

A high calorie burn is the premise for the follow up program to slim in 6 called Slim Series. I do like the benefit of following these programs, but I tend to drift away if its the same workout for more than a week like in power90.
PhillyGirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #6  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Slim in 6 is a good workout set. It really does work, but I get bored easily so I only last about 4 weeks... however the results were pretty decent within that 4 week time. I personally love the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. It's only 20 minutes a day but its KILLER! My results have been awesome with it.

Another thing I like is Zumba. I have it for the Wii and its motivating to have to earn points and stuff like that.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/207.2/160

Height: 5'9"

I have the 30 Day Shred, although I've only started it recently (Feb 2nd).

So far, I've completed four days at Level 1, and you use the same workout every 10 days.

I haven't gotten tired of it yet, but it is still early on. I enjoy it, and can feel it working.
I've dropped 2 or 3 pounds being on it just this past week (although I just started calorie counting too).

I bought 30 Day Shred off Amazon for $8.99 or something like that.

The 20 minutes really takes off the pressure of fitting it in.
getinspired is offline   Reply With Quote