Old 11-22-2010, 01:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 147/139/125

Height: 5'2

Default Pain with Turbo Jam

Hi guys, I'm new here and I've been scouring the internet to see if someone else has had this problem and I've come up empty handed, so I turn to you!

I've been rocking it with Turbo Jam for about 4 or 5 weeks now and I LOVE it, and coming from this lazy, exercise-hating redhead, that's a big deal. However in the past few days I've been experiencing pretty bad hip pain, specifically in my left hip joint socket thingy. I'm 23 years old and weigh about 138/139..I'm not terribly out of shape, but I've been seeing great results with this workout and it really bites that I'm now having pain! [and it couldn't have come at a worse time with Thanksgiving right around the corner.]

Lunges hurt, the Turbo Tuck hurts, kicking hurts, squats really hurt and now even sitting on hard surfaces hurt my buttbone and hip area...I just don't understand why all of a sudden this is happening!

Now if you really feel like reading a small amount of my backstory then please continue on. I started out with Slim in 6 on 9/29 of this year and I got about 2 weeks in when I started having the same hip discomfort, only it wasn't as severe. I was bummed because I've made a decision finally to lose weight and it seems like my body keeps getting in the way of that! I was out of workout commission for about 2 weeks I gave up on SI6 when my hip pain subsided and fell in love with TJ...only to be heartbroken weeks later.

Has ANYONE else had hip pain? I feel like a little old lady! Now i'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I workout on carpet as there's no wood or hard surface in the house. I heard that working out on carpet can result in knee pain but I haven't heard about it being related to hip pain.

People out there in InternetLand, please help me!

Godspeed.
ouchpainhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #2  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Hi ouchpainhelp Are you stretching enough? In particular the hip flexors/quads and hamstrings/glutes? Turbo Jam has quite a bit of kicking so this may be the issue. I have problems with tight hamstrings/glutes more so than hip flexors/quads.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

If ANY type of exercise causes pain, STOP IT and go to the doctor. If you have an injury you could make it worse.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #4  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Doesn't matter if you LOVE Turbo Jam, if it's causing pain, then you should stop.
Sorry. Find something else that doesn't hurt.

I sent Turbo Jam back for a refund because it hurt my knees
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #5  

Diana, I think I'm stretching enough, I've become more limber and I take hot baths to loosen my muscles.

Unfortunately going to the Doctor is out of the question as I'm unemployed and have no health insurance.

This is so discouraging
Old 11-23-2010, 12:29 AM   #6  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

I had this EXACT same problem with Turbo Jam. I am also 23.

The first time I had hip pain I stopped doing the workouts for about a month, the pain subsided so I tried to do a tj video and it came right back. When the hip pain started to affect my running I pretty much never touched the dvd's again. I tried all sorts of things for the pain. I even got referred to some crazy doc that stuck me with a cortisone shot OUCH. I still have tight hips and have to always give them some extra stretching, but I've pretty much over came the pain.

Where is your pain? Mine hurt doing the knee lift moves. Anything that required me to lift my knee up caused a good bit of pain in the front. I even got pain doing the stair master. What ended up helping me the most was physical therapy. The guy gave me some stretches to do. He told me to do them 5-6 times a day and to hold each stretch for at LEAST 20 seconds.

The first one is sort of like a modified lunge. Get down on both knees and place one foot out in front. Staying erect, begin to slowly lean forward. you should feel the stretch in your hip flexor.

The next stretch you lay on your back and simply pull and hold one knee to your chest.

And the one that helped me the most but I can't find any pictures of: Laying on your back with your knees bent and feet on the floor close to your but, cross one leg. Grab the uncrossed leg and gently pull towards your chest.

Here is a link that has pictures of the first two stretches http://ptclinic.com/medlibrary/pdf/756.pdf

Hope this helps. Try googling 'hip flexor stretches' or 'hip flexor strengthening exercises' and try some of the exercises that you find. My biggest problem was the hip flexors themselves needed strengthening. Just wanted you to know you are not alone!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #7  

EveLHaelf Thank you so much for responding! I knew I couldn't have been the only one! I remember trying to do similar stretches when I had the hip pain doing SI6 and the pain shot down my leg, perhaps I wasn't doing them right. When it first started I think it was most noticeable when doing the knee lifts as well, but now it hurts even when I sit in that froggy position with the knees bent out to the sides and the bottom of my feet are pressed against each other. Its pretty much localized to the left hip socket area, and as I mentioned in my first post, that I have a strange discomfort in my buttbone area, feels like a bad bruise, but I have no idea how that could've been bruised.

I may have been too rigorous in my weight loss attempt, with working out with 2 or 3 DVDs a day. I've since stopped and will definitely try out those stretches [gently, i might add] you suggested.

Thank you so much for taking your time to tell me about your story as well. I'm sorry to hear you suffered the same pain but it's good to hear that you overcame it!
Old 11-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #8  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

It was my right hip that started bugging me. I was also running, training for a half marathon that was one of my nsv related weight loss goals that i set for myself. I was getting fitter and was physically able to run longer distances, but before I started getting 'treated' for the hip pain i couldn't go any farther than 3 miles because the pain would become very intense and it would make me walk funny for days after. If you wear shoes to work out in, (you said you worked out on carpet, i did too and was barefoot) try investing in a properly fitted shoe that alone can do wonders for your joints.

And I don't want to discredit doctors or anything, but I have health insurance and was able to be seen by several doctors for my hip pain and none of them really knew what was going on. I was told "some people just can't run" and that I should "ride a bike" instead. When I was running, I developed the pain you are describing when I sat as well. It was very uncomfortable to sit for any period of time and I began having a 'tight' IT band (along the outer side of the thigh) I also did stretches for that and I purchased a foam roller and that helped as well. It was painful, but it felt much better afterwards. I had an x-ray, and an mri, and all my results came back normal so the doctors didn't know what to tell me other than to just quit running. (not an option for me) I even went to a chiropractor who did 'adjustments' to my alignment. Maybe try that? there are chiropractors who don't require insurance and do like $15 dollar 'adjustments' etc. Maybe try and find something like that in your area?

If you are not allergic, take ibuprofen ever few hours and try putting ice on the area (wrapped in a towel never directly on skin.) These things helped me a little when I had a 'flare up.'

I'm not saying you have the same issue I did, but they sound very similar. Unfortunately you said seeing a doctor is not an option, so just stick to googling hip flexor pain, hip bursitis, or IT band stretches etc. I did a lot of research and tried everything I could. And needless to say, I crossed the finish line at the end of my half marathon with pretty much no hip pain

I really hope that you can find a solution to your pain. Do NOT let this discourage you or get in the way of your fitness goals! If you have access to a pool, try that. Swimming is soooo easy on the joints and you can still get a good workout in.

Good luck!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:10 AM   #9  

EveLHaelf Wow I cannot thank you enough for taking your time to respond to my plight with a story so similar!

I've looked up those things you've described and obviously the internet cannot diagnose me, but they sound pretty spot on! im going to start focusing a lot more on proper stretching and I really hope that helps out. I've also noticed a "popping" sound when I move my legs a certain way, and that sound can be attributed to IT bands snapping, causing burstitis.

Thank you so much, and it's so encouraging to hear that you were able to overcome the odds the doctors gave you and pushed on through! I hope to be able to do the same, in due time.