Old 04-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 253.8/Ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default POWER 90 Starting Monday 5th...

okay I am starting power 90 the day after Easter on April 5th.... Just curious if anyone has done this program? or wants to do it with me? My husband is going to do it too but he is notorious for stopping after a few weeks. I have p90x too but I am afraid it is too advanced for me. I plan on making Day 6 my rest day because I work nights (12 hr shifts) 3 days a week and I think Saturday is going to be a difficult day for me to work in the routine but who knows I might be able to swing it.

so anyone want to buddy up and do this with me?
bremro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #2  

Hi Bremro!

I've done P90 in the past, and am currently on Day 13 of a round. I love that you are doing it with your husband -- that's what we do too. It's incredibly helpful, I think. I am not sure if I could keep it up without the motivation that comes with doing it together.

As to "thoughts" on the program. It works. It really really works. It is especially good as a first step "off of the couch." The routines are do-able by anyone, regardless of coordination, and modified moves are offered. I also think that it is the perfect program for spouses, since the workout is not "dancey," so the fella's don't feel wierd doing it.

Criticisms would be that it is a somewhat "dated" production. Music is "eh," and the countdown timer is amusingly '80's (as is the "sponge paint" on the studio walls). Also, if you can't live without "variety" this program will drive you nuts. Two DVD's, few differences (other than duration/reps). I personally love "sameness"--I feel like it allows me to watch my progress over time--but it drives some folks nuts to do the same thing for 90 days.

Congratulations and Good Luck! I am a notoriously sporadic poster (LONNNNG messages followed by weeks of silence), but I am definitely try to check in here regularly. If I can dig them out, I will even post the picks of our P90 day 0-30-60-90's from 2007 (the last time I was in almost decent shape! LOL -- back in the saddle . . . .).
zzztem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #3  

How much did you lose? Rob and I are taking pictures tomorrow. I don't know if I am brave enough to post my befores before I have some afters if you know what I mean. I want to go through Power 90 then tackle p90x.

I have subscribed to this thread so if you post back to it I will know....Please check back and let me know how it is going and definitely put up some before and afters.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #4  

Hi Brem,

Doing a combination of Slim in Six, P90, and P90 Masters, I lost a total of 16 lbs. 3lbs. on Slim in Six (nutrition was not in order), 10 lbs. on P90, then 3 lbs. in the first 30 days of P90 Masters. Then I maintained for a while, than fell of the wagon hard and shot up to my all time high as of January of 2009. I've since lost most of the weight that I put on, but I am here to tell you that 150 lbs. after 128 days of working out does NOT look like 150 lbs. after a year of sitting on one's dead as*. But I am not worried -- back at it, just put day 13 on the books, and I am already seeing the return of some of what I lost. I am going to give posting photos a shot. I am a newbie on these boards so (i) I am not sure if I have the rights to post photos; and (ii) I am not sure how to do it. I will give it a whirl though.

BTW, although 10 lbs. may not sound like much for 90 days, I was struggling with an undiagnosed thyroid condition at the time, which definitely slowed things down. My DH lost 23 lbs. in 90 days, then another 10 doing Masters. With thyroid under control, I am already seeing quicker results this time around. I am averaging a little over a lb. a week, which for me is about as good as it gets regardless of nutrition/exercise.

Okay, let's see if I can post those photos .....

Last edited by Cormac; 04-03-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Cormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #5  

Umm-- not sure why my name changed (Zzztem to Cormac), I must have signed up for this site before and used my old email/password combo (Cormac is my dog). I just read a tutorial on photos, hope it works. If I can manage it, these are comparisons Day 0 (no exercise), Day 42 Slim-in-Six/Day 0 P90, Day 30 P90, Day 60 P90, Day 90 P90, Day 128 P90 Masters.

Oops -- no can do. You have to have 25 posts to post photos. I only have 3. HA! Oh well. I'll have to get more active! In the alternative, I have vo idea how to "PM" somebody (I don't even really know what that means), but if you set up an email somewhere and get it to me, I will send you the photo bucket links.

Wait a second -- I just read more tutorial. Maybe I have attached the photos here??? We'll see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20070701 L Front All.jpg (17.3 KB, 131 views)
Old 04-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #6  

Hmm. Not sure why photos are so tiny. Oh well. Here is the side by side front shot. Will post better links once I have 25 posts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20070701 L Front 0-118.jpg (30.4 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Cormac; 04-03-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #7  

Well that one worked better. Here's the disgusting back shot:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20070701 L Back 0-118.jpg (25.7 KB, 114 views)
Old 04-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #8  

Last one. Even though I only lost 13 lbs., I went from a tight 14 to an 8. One thing you'll notice with Beachbody, you really do have to ignore the scale. The inches will drop a lot quicker than the weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LoraBigPAnts.jpg (18.6 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by Cormac; 04-03-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #9  

OMG that is amazing. I would love to see the number on the scales go down but I will put up with a big number in order to be toned. I am going to take my before pics later tonight but I am not going to post them until I have some afters.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 300/273/180

Height: 5'11

My power 90 is coming tomorrow. I too felt like P90x would just tear me apart from going from kinda of active to full blown workouts would be a difficult transition. I will be doing that each day + 5 mile walk. I'm right there with you! I'm scared of posting before and after pictures too. But hopefully after 90 days, I will have new pictures to put them to shame
brandon43512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

I think I'd like to start with you.
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #12  

Bremro -- I hear you on the before with no afters! (You'll notice that I didn't post my befores from this round? HA). Good luck on Day 1! Good luck also to BabyGrant and Brandon if you also start today! Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #13  

I laid out my clothes and shoes, set the dvd up, got my weights ready and my towel so I wouldnt have any excuses this morning. I did hit the snooze trying my best to come up with some good excuse but I finally just got up and decided to give it a go..... Show up and push play.... right?

I got through the first 2 sets with little problem. By the third set I was starting to feel it.... Did it except I wasn't able to finish all the push ups 7/7/7 (btw I am doing girlie push ups). I felt good but not like I had killed myself exercising... UNTIL.... I was waiting for the girls to get ready and as I went to get into the van I noticed my arms were a little sore. After lunch I noticed my thighs are tender to the touch. Bent over to get something out of a lower cabinet and NOW I remember..... yes that was a work out this morning. I love it because the soreness lets me know that I worked out but I wasn't completely discouraged afterwards. I told myself going in that I probably wouldn't get all the way through it and that it was OK but that it was my goal.

I took the befores and I have to admit that I got pretty bummed out looking at myself in shorts and a bra. The front view I was aware of but I was not ready for the side and back views. Now when people tell me that I don't look like I weigh this much I am just going to turn to the side then to the back. I hide my weight there.....

Brandon ~ let me know when you start! I had the videos for a month or two before starting them. Don't wait! I would love to have people that are going through it the same time I am... We can motivate each other! I love the idea of adding a walk on the strength days. I normally walk every day and I felt like something was missing by just doing strength.

BabyGrant ~ Did you start today? I think it will help us so much if we have someone to keep us motivated. I have told my friends what it is but they don't really understand (mainly because they have no interest in working out). Congrats on reaching Onederland! I hit that once due to diet pills between my 2nd and 3rd child then promptly put it right back on and then some. I look forward to seeing it again by doing it the right way.

Last edited by bremro; 04-05-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 300/273/180

Height: 5'11

I was supposed to get it today, but UPS had put it on a different truck. I called them and they said it should be out tomorrow. I was a little bummed because I was looking forward to it today but at least I know tomorrow I will be getting even more sore. I have yet to take the before pictures as I am dreading them too. I think I'll take them tomorrow and then after seeing them, I'll get the motivation to work right through the workouts.

bremro- I'm happy that you've finally decided to use the dvds. What a coincidence I found this form when I decided/ordered P90. I hope you get amazing results you want with this program and stick with it no matter what!

Here is the story I found on someone from amazon that really motivated me to get it ( sorry, kinda long ) :

After losing over 100 pounds about 10 years ago, I suddenly found myself steadily gaining weight after some major life changes. Over the last 5 years I regained all 100 pounds plus an additional 20. I topped out at 260 (I'm 5'7") with a 48" waist in January 2010. I ordered this program in November 2009 with the mindset that I would be one of those people I've always despised - those New Year's Resolution"ers". After a 2009 most people would rather forget, I swore to myself that 2010 must be a great year. And so far it has been.

Like so many people, I stay up late and a few months ago found myself watching Tony's infomercials for P90X. While I was highly intrigued, the workouts looked much too tough for someone who was used to eating 5,000 empty calories a day and would rather sleep than do something productive. I knew I couldn't begin there. The next morning, I logged onto Beachbody's website and began looking around at all of the "Best Sellers" and researched the workout programs offered. When I came across Power 90, I immediately ordered it. The package comes with a two-DVD set (Level 1-2 and Level 3-4), a resistance band, measuring tape, eating guide and workout manual with progress calendar. I must mention that I do not at all follow the eating guide as it is not something that works for me (in this "lose the weight in 90 days" business, you're always going to get some unrealistic propaganda). I did completely overhaul my eating plan on my own and am making it work for me. If you can follow the eating plan that's provided, more power to you.

The program was produced about 9 years ago and, for some, could be considered antiquated. However, if you're like me, this program is one of the most motivational ways to get yourself started back on that path to a healthier lifestyle. Tony's on-screen persona is instantly magnetic and his quirky personality keeps you tuned in.

Level 1-2 eases you into a number of moves you likely haven't done in years. None of the exercises are impossible to do on their own, but as they progress one after the other, you begin to sweat and really feel as though you're accomplishing that goal you've finally set for yourself. It's comforting to finally be sweating for a purpose - not just because you're tying your shoelaces. Each day alternates a different workout - day 1 is cardio, day 2 is circuit (weights), day 3 is cardio, etc. - with the goal of doing 6 days on, 1 day off. Some other reviewers have noted that this becomes redundant and I can't completely disagree, but for those of us who struggle from the gate find the repetition beneficial for mastering proper form and technique. As Tony states throughout the program, GO AT YOUR OWN PACE! The point of the workouts is not to keep up with him or his cohorts, it's to work on maintaining proper workout technique and slowly building your tolerance level. I really struggled the first few workouts, but within a week, I was amazed at the kind of progress I was making. You will, too.

I stuck with Level 1-2 for 35 days (technically the idea is to stick with it for 45 days - or half-way through the program). By this time, I was able to complete both the cardio and circuit portions of the program. I decided it was time to switch to Level 3-4 a bit early - some people may take longer. This second DVD actually contains the same workouts (with a few new exercises thrown in), but the workouts are about 10 minutes longer each and you now begin doing more sets and at a faster pace. It's a lot tougher, but still manageable. I still struggle a bit on the jumping jacks/running in place/run lunges portion a bit, but I am not planning on giving up! It's a high energy workout that's perfect for me at my current stage. Again in Level 3-4, Tony consistently reiterates to take a break and hit "Pause" if you need to, resume when you're ready. It's never about keeping up, it's about doing what's comfortable for you and making the transitions when they make them.

With only two weeks to go before it's "technically" over, I almost feel like I'm losing a best friend. I do not plan to stop this program on April 11 (90 days), but I can't WAIT to see how far I've come by then. As of the date of this posting (9 weeks and 5 days in), I have lost a total of 51 pounds (down to 209), 11" off my waist and 13" elsewhere and I have found that energy that escaped me 5 years ago. This program is the real deal for those who don't think they can yet handle P90X (like me) and need to ease back into the lifestyle. With what Tony's given me, I can move forward with confidence and stamina.

I will be ordering P90X in the months to come, but I think I am going to stick with Power 90 for a while because there are small bursts of Level 3-4 I still can't quite complete without pausing and I want to master it all before moving on. Over time, I plan to compile a library of many of Beachbody's programs, as I find them engaging and real. I never thought I'd ever get as far as I have with this - I've never been one for in-home DVD-based workouts, but Tony has made a believer out of me. I never looked at this as a "workout for 90 days and quit" program. The benefit to owning this is that I can always pop the DVD in and get a workout regardless of which level I choose. If I'm having an off day, I can do Level 1-2 of Power 90; if I'm having a great day, I can throw in a P90X routine. This is really something that can be done as a regular, weekly routine to maintain that body you've transformed! And the best part is, buying this covers a two-month gym membership and you own it forever.

If you're reading this and you find that you're in the same situation I was, I urge you to just do it. Without a doubt, I would be several pounds heavier by now if I hadn't hit "Play".
brandon43512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 160/130/110

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
Umm-- not sure why my name changed (Zzztem to Cormac), I must have signed up for this site before and used my old email/password combo (Cormac is my dog). I just read a tutorial on photos, hope it works. If I can manage it, these are comparisons Day 0 (no exercise), Day 42 Slim-in-Six/Day 0 P90, Day 30 P90, Day 60 P90, Day 90 P90, Day 128 P90 Masters.

Oops -- no can do. You have to have 25 posts to post photos. I only have 3. HA! Oh well. I'll have to get more active! In the alternative, I have vo idea how to "PM" somebody (I don't even really know what that means), but if you set up an email somewhere and get it to me, I will send you the photo bucket links.

Wait a second -- I just read more tutorial. Maybe I have attached the photos here??? We'll see.

Wow. Your pictures are such an inspiration.

I started P90X about 45 days ago, and I have another 45 to go. I'm a size 8 right now, but I feel like I don't look like you. What's your height? I feel like I'm stalling, but people say they see results.

Can we chat? I have more questions!

Last edited by AllisonR; 04-05-2010 at 05:54 PM.
AllisonR is offline   Reply With Quote