Old 04-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 253.8/Ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

yep that is the town I grew up... when I was in elementary school at the end of the year each grade would walk down to the distillery for a tour. I didn't realize really that it was anything special until I joined the navy and people couldn't believe I was from Lynchburg, TN. I was astonished that they had heard of it. It is a dry county you know. Can't buy it here. Sad really...

Cormac you and my friends at work find me funny... my husband and kids look at me like I am stupid. I don't get it.

Brandon~ I knew you were only a couple days behind. When are planning on going to phase 3-4 do you have a day in mind or you waiting until you feel like you are ready?

Just out of curiosity why is it 1-2 and 3-4? what is the difference in 1 and 2. why isn't it just phase 1 and phase 2. I was just wondering if I missed something.
bremro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 160/130/110

Height: 5'4"

Hey guys,

I'm gonna step in on this discussion and say hi, on the advice of Cormac. So hi, I'm Allison. I should introduce myself. I'm a grad student who's trying to lose the 40-50lbs of weight I gained while I was working abroad. I went from being a size 4 to 12.

I currently am on the P90X plan, but very few people frequent the thread. So I hope you guys don't mind that I join you! I'm halfway through the workout plan. I keep an exercise diary, so I would say I'm about 50 days into it. I'm currently about a size 4-6 on top, and size 6-10 on the bottom, depending on the cutting and kind of clothes I wear.

I've been seeing muscles, but not a big change in my legs and hips, which is where I REALLY want to see results. I work out at least 5 times a week. I don't necessarily follow the prescribed routine exactly. Some days I really don't feel like doing a certain video, so I put one that I like in. I don't diet, but watch what I eat carefully.

So there's my intro. I hope to hear back from everyone, and getting to know everyone a little bit more!
AllisonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:51 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 300/273/180

Height: 5'11

Welcome Allison! I hope you get more out of this thread than you did with the P90x one. Maybe for the extra definition you will have to extensively work out those areas/be REALLY picky about what you eat. Since it's a trouble area for just about everyone, I'm sure there are tons of threads that have different ways of people having success.

brem - I plan on sticking with the p90 schedule of 45 days. The only part that is holding me back is the jumping jacks/running lunges things. They lock my calves up so back, I nearly get charlie horses each time if I don't stop. Although I am wanting to hear some new corny jokes and see tony mess up even more with the timing/exercises, I think its best to wait.

cormac - I have been on my medication for about 8 years now. Some days I forget to take the pill, but I don't feel exceptionally tired. I'm not sure exactly what hypothyroid does, but I think it has to do with slowing down your metabolism and lack of energy?

I did my workout in the evening today. I find doing it in the morning makes my body sore/groggy most the day and wanted to see if by doing the walks in the first half then doing the exercise at night I won't feel as bad and get all my exercise in.
brandon43512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #79  

I woke up super energetic this morning and I have no idea why. Maybe because I was such a sourpuss yesterday. I took the kids to church, then the kids talked me into the chinese buffet (so technically going off my plan was all THEIR fault right? ) which made sense because we had to go grocery shopping and there is nothing worse that grocery shopping with 3 hungry kids.
So I went to WW alone because Rob understands the program now and can do it at home. Never mind the fact that out of the 9 weeks that he went he lost for 5 of those weeks then wussed out and started gaining. So I guess if you are not going to DO weight watchers there is no reason to PAY for it right? Ok so after doing Power 90 all week minus one day, ripping up carpet, I gained 3.6lbs. Now for my confession or excuses or whatever lameness I can scrape to explain why I gained. Truth: My eating was horrible this week. We ate out almost every night due to the kitchen being full of furniture while we did the floors except for the one night we ate at Subway. Then my salt craving didn't help any... So I should be rejoicing that I only gained 3.6 lbs. So I woke up with a little pep this morning because it is a new day. I can't rewind last week so I can only strive to do awesome today.

So I am getting ready to do my workout and I am starting to look forward to them.

Allison: So glad you joined us! Amazing how weight just creeps on isn't it? I am hoping at some point to graduate up to P90X. First I probably need to be able to do these blasted 7-7-7. Right now those are my achilles heel. I love checking in here every day to see how everyone is doing and it is a great motivating factor for me.

Brandon ~ I am with you...I probably will do the same and wait until the 45 day to switch it over. Unless..... I do 7-7-7 with ease then it's on... Hope working out at night works for you. Did the Dr. tell you to take your thyroid medication at night. I am asking because at the hospital we give it at 6:30am. I have no idea if this matters.. What are you taking and I will look it up...

Cormac ~ Where are you this morning? I wake up check to see your post then work out ... you are throwing me of track

Ok I have got to get off here and get the girls moving or they are going to be late for school.

Hope everyone has a FAB- TAB - ULOUS Day!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #80  

Hey All, and WELCOME ALLISON! Woot -- we're up to 4! Just a very quick drive-by this morning. I did NOT wake up energetic today -- in fact I got out of bed then hit the couch for an hour before we pushed play, so I am running verrry late. I will definitely stop in later. Brem -- WTG on the fresh start! New week, new flooring, new session of WW . . . its all coming together. Have a great day all -- talk at you later.

p.s. Brandon -- are you taking synthroid? That's what I am on and I am supposed to take it first thing in the morning, at least an hour before eating. I leave it on my nightstand which usually works in terms of remembering it. And yes, the thyroid regulates the metabolism, and it wreaks havoc on weight loss! Pain in the rear!

Talk at you all later!
Cormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #81  

I was taking synthyroid but then we changed to the generic of it, Levothyroxine. The doctor never said to take it at a certain time. On the bottle it says take with plenty of water and empty stomach. Is there a reason why you take it in the morning rather than at night?
Old 04-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #82  

I know we give it at 630 every morning but the main points is that it is taken on empty stomach and don't eat anything after for like an hour or so and with plenty of water. I just read some research that were actually saying night time was best because your GI motility is slower at night. Just don't eat after you take it and I don't think it matters as long as it is at the same time every day. I am glad this came up because I knew what time we gave it and I didn't really know why it was scheduled for that time every day. Now I know.

I like this thread because in the morning Cormac posts and I have something to read when I get up then by lunch Brandon has posted something and by the night someone else has jumped back on.

Off to cook supper for tonight so I am not eating ballpark food. I also have an addiction to sunflower seeds. Not good if you eat a whole bag. So I am popping popcorn and taking it with me.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #83  

Hey Y'all,

Not sure where my mojo was today but it was NOT there for the workout. Note to self -- I need to practice self-discipline on the weekends and get enough sleep. Problem is that I *SO* hate for the weekend to be over that I tend to try and stretch it. A big "meh" to the work-week, which turns into a big "meh" to the Monday workout.

Anyway, we did get it done, but I dogged it a bit. In fact, even though I was taking it easy on myself, I actually felt the need to take it "even easier" from time to time. I've noticed that if I am not *there* mentally my form suffers a lot, and I find myself doing stuff that easily leads to injury. My biggest nemesis (what's the plural? nemeses?) are the knees, and if I am even the slightest bit sloppy in the lunges and squats the knees get to screaming in a big hurry.

Brem -- LOLOLOL on the Jack Daniels factory tours. I went to college in NC, and had friends from Winston-Salem who used to take cigarette factory tours in elementary school. I am of the generation that grew up with no bicycle helmuts, when chocolate milk was considered "wholesome," but even I draw the line somewhere. HA. I wish I had a picture of the 30 of you (girls all wearing knee-socks) watching the liquor get made. God Bless the USA.

So, today was ... "dun dun dunnn" ... Day 29. I've got mixed feelings. Triumphs include the fact that we have made it through *almost* 30 days without any unscheduled rest days. That's huge -- haven't done that since 2007. Also, I did 12 toe-pushups today. Coming from a girl who started at 0 to pushups, and maybe 3 knee pushups (I would instead do planks, knee-planks, and "cobras"), this is also huge. On the other hand, as of Saturday, I thought that I had lost 2-3 lbs. (in 30 days). Doesn't sound like much, but trust me, that's parade material for this girl. Then ... HUH? ... between Saturday and Sunday I "gained" 4 lbs.? Hmmm. The scale might be crazy, and I am also retaining water for at least 18 people right now. Brandon shut your eyes -- yes ladies, it is indeed that time. But seriously--4 lbs. in 1 day???

Ah well, I am not going to sweat it. I will take pics, but not until this Saturday. Too much to do on a work day, and I am still hoping that the crazy-gain will turn out to have been a fluke. At this point I'll take a break even. Also, since I did not take Day 1 photos (I took Day 7's), I figure Day 36's will be close enough. Not sure if I will post. Still a little self-conscious without much to show, but I will mull it over. The positive side of my personality knows that there is absolutely no way that this program won't produce results. I am loyal to the workouts and my eating is usually pretty clean, plus I've been here before and fought my way out. The negative side says "OMG--maybe 43 is just gonna be that much worse that 41--and maybe you really can't fix what you've done." F.U. (sorry if that was indelicate) self-doubt! Perhaps my goals need adjusting, but I am not going to quit on being fit.

WOWWWWWWWW-- holy soapbox batman. Not sure at all where that came from. Apparently *somebody* (< looks around sheepishly >) needed a pep-talk. So there it was. Hope that you all had terrific days, or at least fair-to-middling for a Monday.

Best regards......

Cormac (I laugh every time I use that -- Cormac is my dog. I keep imagining him (the guy with no opposible thumbs) hopping on the computer late at night to post on a diet blog .... It takes very little to make me laugh).

Last edited by Cormac; 04-19-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #84  

No matter what you showed up and pushed play. Doing that in itself for 90 days is amazing. What else do you do consistently for 90 days.. Sleep, eat and brush my teeth so saying that we are going to exercise for 90 days is better than most people right? Don't feel bad about the 4lbs.... It is that time for me too and I had a 3.6lb gain. I think some of mine is from crappy eating but I always gain around that time and it is not fair.

Just got home and I packed our supper for the ballpark.... kids loved it. It was difficult not get cheese fries but I sat there in the middle of all these people and I swear everyone of them were eating fries. Now every time I see someone eating something I really want I look at their body. Usually if they are eating crap it shows. So tonight when I was surrounded by pizza and cheese fries...they all had pudgy bellies except one stick and I kept telling myself that it would catch up with her someday. I know that is probably mean for me to do but I assume it is not bad to think it as long as I don't tell them right? Of course that would be in the whole pot and kettle issue. Good night all ....got a big day tomorrow..
Old 04-20-2010, 02:04 AM   #85  

S/C/G: 160/130/110

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone,

Reading all of your posts really motivated me today! I had an okay day, but was really not wanting to work out because I went out with my colleague and we had a Gilmore Girls marathon, and came home at 10pm. And silly me, trying to justify my social life (and downing tons of junk food) as an excuse to not working out. Hahaha. How I try to justify things!

Anyway, reading all of your posts and seeing how you guys pushed through, pressured me (in the BEST way possible) to do Cardio X. SO A BIG THANK YOU GUYS!

However, admittedly, I did phone it in a little bit. But I figure this is better than nothing, and since school has stopped for 2 weeks, I have no excuse not to work out, saying I have to wake up early, do homework, etc.

So I checked my exercise diary, and it seems that I was doing mostly the 30 Day Shred until Feb 28, but P90X intermittently since Feb 15. So I really started to move the ratio of P90X: 30DS in favour of P90X starting from Feb 28.

February 28 - Day 1
April 19 - Day 49
June 1 - Day 93 (But I'll say Day 90 for off days and other exceptions - MINI GOAL: Size 6 pants NOT from Old Navy)
AllisonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:23 AM   #86  

Hey All,

Another drive-by morning for me. Allison -- AWESOME, and there is no such thing as phoning-in cardio at 10 PM. Wow. I have a done a total of 1 evening workouts since I started down this road in 2007, and it was the most excrutiating thing that I have ever been through. Woot! to getting it done. And double-woot to Brem for skipping the cheese-fries! It's gonna be a good week, I can feel it building!

NOT motivated again today, but there is no way that I am going to skip Day 30. It has taken too long to get here!!! What I want to do is take a nap. What I am going to do is push play. I may also grumble under my breath and silently curse. It is a good thing you guys are here, 'cuz checking in here is the only thing that keeps me moving on days like this.

Have a rockin' day all.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #87  

We are the most unmotivated but exercise anyway bunch I have ever seen LOLOLOLOL..... I can't help but hum the tune "16 tons and what do you get? another day older and deeper in debt..." I hope ya'll know that song if not I am old and just ignore me right now.....

So here I am getting ready to play drill sergeant (getting the kids up, fed and out the door on time). I have one pre teen that spends all morning in the mirror, one daydreamer who wanders around without doing anything, and one who usually hid under the covers until you force her out then she is like a ball of energy running around. So it is a 3 ring circus.

I also have decided that the reason my belly is so big is that I stay stressed out constantly so the kids and I have adopted a new way to stay calm around the house. Has anyone seen the movie Bad Boys? The police chief rubbed his ears (pressure points) and chanted "wooosaaaah"? So that is the new thing at the house... everytime someone starts getting a little wound up we start saying wooosaaaahh. So maybe my stress level will be dialed down a few notches.

I will check back after I work out.

WTG Allison!!! I admire you working out that late. I am drained at night and I just can't get motivated after 8pm.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #88  

OK, All....I was on the fence until reading this thread. I just ordered P90. Now you guys have to keep going, you are my canary in this coal mine, my expectations are high.

I got the Tribbles and 16 Tons references, never wore a helmet while bike riding as a child, and grew up in KY so tobacco farm and bourbon distillary tours are not foreign. Also, I love Memphis, it's on the list of possible places to retire. And seriously, the resistance band in the fan...the folks at work all wanted to know what was so funny.
YWeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #89  

YWeight ~ So glad we have more joining... It is so much easier to do things when you have others going with you. I'll be your canary.... It will keep me motivated.... Grew up working in tobacco ... hard work.... I was in good shape back then. I could eat like crazy but burned it off but then as I got older and quit working in the fields I kept eating like crazy and here I am...

Ok I was going to post how my workout went but I just posted it on my blog so I am going to copy and Paste is so I don't have to re type everything.

Ladies & Gentlemen.. I introduce to you Progress
Yes after that pity party I have been hosting the last few days (thank you Mother Nature) I, today, witnessed progress and man it feels GOOD!
On the scales? NOPE Clothes feeling better? Not really... People noticing? ehhh... Inches lost? haven't checked.... BUT I rocked it out today on the cardio!!!

Now don't get too excited. My "rock it out" might be different. 1. I didn't stop 2. I sweated buckets. 3. My heart rate was up and stayed up! 4. I did 2 full sets of jumping jacks. Not baby jacks but full out like I did in boot camp jumping jacks. 5. On the hippity hoppities that I DESPISE... I did 15 sec then went to very energetic side steps. Then on the next set I did 15 sec again so if it is all cumulative..... I did a whole set.... 6. Power Yoga.. still not pretty but I am not cussing during it and I am not stopping as much. My up dog thing is looking more like an up dog and not a lazy yard snake... 7. ABS~ Hello.... I have extremely weak abs and if there is one part of my body that I would LOVE LOVE to fix it would be my belly. I, Yes I got through it and it was good. Not as much quivering.... My back didn't scream for mercy because I am concentrating on pulling my belly button to my back when do my abs. Man, what a difference.

That is the first workout that I have done where I felt like I am really seeing a difference. Not so much a physical with the eye difference but I feel stronger difference. I impressed myself.. that is very hard to do... I do owe some of this to MC Hammer... Yes Hammer don't hurt em... I listen to my ipod instead of the music and every time I feel like I am about to quit it shuffles to him and I hear "2 Legit 2 Quit" . It makes me think that there isn't anything I can't do if I just don't quit. As a side note I was thinking of those hammer pants and I loved those because they were great for hiding large thighs.

I feel super right now. I might pay for it tomorrow but I feel great right now. I have got to go eat lunch and start cleaning these stupid floors that I put down. I am glad the carpet is gone ...... Oh I meant to tell you guys that the vinyl tiles make those running lunges alot easier. I kinda look like I am doing the running man but it is much easier than on the carpet. Maybe that is why the cardio and I are doing better. Oh well what ever it takes.....

Last edited by bremro; 04-20-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #90  

I had to put this in. Me and my stepbrother when we were like 12 had the hammer pants. I had purple ones that could fit about 4 trees in it and he had orange ones and we would do the hammer shuffle across the front room floor.