Old 04-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 253.8/Ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Ok you guys are so much fun to chat with my husband may never have to listen to me again

Cormac~ How funny about the "don't workout beyond the level that you are comfortable" I remember reading that and thinking "I wish I knew that before I got out of bed at 430am I would still be sleeping" I seriously thought of stopping the dvd, wipe my brow, give myself a high five and trot back to bed. "Happy Baby" I am having a hard time imagining that but I will probably never be able to do it now because I will be giggling.

Tania ~ Welcome! Welcome! We are having a good time and the more motivation the better. So are you sore? My triceps and inner thighs/hip flexors are screaming at me... So let us know how you are doing.. Did you take before pics? I did but I am refusing to post them unless I have some dramatic after pics....

I am slightly eager to see how the sculpt thing is tomorrow. I did pretty good my first day but now that I am sore I am wondering if it will torturous tomorrow.....

I coach my daughters pee wee softball team and I was trying to run the bases for them so they could try to get me out and I must have looked like a baby giraffe learning to walk because my legs were so sore. I think that some of the parents think I have a disability because I am running all funky and mumbling under my breath because of the soreness. Hopefully those kids did not notice or I will be the crazy coach that they make fun of later in life...

Ok all.. hope everyone has a great night... I work tomorrow night so I'll post before I go in and then will check back the next morning before I go to sleep. It should be interesting seeing how I pull off doing aerobics after working all night....
bremro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:59 AM   #32  
Doin' it this time

S/C/G: 208.8/208.8/145

I just ordered P90X a few of my co-workers did it and loved it but none of them was overweight like I am.

I think I have a good cardio base but am interested in how I will do. I don't plan on starting till April 18th so I can line up my recovery week with a week I won't have access to any workout equipment. I hope that doesn't set me back too far but I will continue with walking for cardio but alas no tapes.
Hockeychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #33  

Hockeychic ~ you will do fine. I haven't heard of anyone that did it all the way through the first time so just remember that when you start. My husband did the P90x for a few weeks then quit. I am not sure why he quit but he is doing the power 90 now and we are going to work our way up to the p90x. The good news is that we have it and it is just waiting for us to work up to it.

Did Day 3 today... Not too shabby... I got a late start so I had to suffer through smelling Rob cook breakfast while I worked out. It couldn't be an oatmeal or cereal day today.. He went all out with eggs and turkey bacon. So on top of hearing my muscles scream for mercy. I got the pleasure of hearing my stomach scream for food. I have worked out at 430 for 2 days but today I slept all the way to 5am so Rob has decided that he now wants to get up at 4am to work out before me... I am pausing to count to 10 here.....So here is what I decided. I drop the kids off at 730 so I am just going to come home and work out then. I don't like not working out as soon as I get up. I lose motivation as the day progresses... Frustrating me further is now I won't sleep because I am hearing his alarm go off at 4am... ok I am not going to let this deter me....
As far as the workout goes I got through the first two sets great... had trouble on the pushups that are in close where your elbows are close to your side and the tricep dips. I got through 6 of them and I shoot for 15. I am thinking when get to the point of getting through the third set I might aim at upping my weights.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #34  

Brem,

Woot! on Day 3. I hear you on the 7-7-7's. DH and I always comment on that phase: "7-2-4, and you?" "7-4-4." Then we high-five. I am up to about 7-7-4. I do 7 "wide" on toes, then 7 "close" on knees, then I am too whooped to do the "normals," even on knees. Nevertheless, this stage is still a HUGE improvement from where I started (couldn't even do any knee push-ups -- and I'd never heard of wall pushups, so I would just leave the pelvis on the floor and push into an arch position -- and then wonder why my back was always hurting. LOL).

Hockey--welcome and good luck on the X! I am sure you will be fine. I'm a long-time beachbody lurker, and I've seen tons of folks who did not begin as "fitness-model material" rock the program.

The fact that I have never tried it is more a function of my personality than a fear that it couldn't be done. I am rigid, and I tend to not want to do a program unless I can complete every rep "just like the people on the video." Umm, not happenin' for this 43-yr.-old-overweight-and-out-of-shape-lady, even doing phase 1-2 of P90. I think I would get frustrated if I tried p90x without a foundation, even if I did pass the fitness test.

The other issue is time. I am trying to get into the office a little earlier these days, and even the 30-40 minutes that P90 takes is a wrinkle in the works. A full hour (or 90 minues) for the X would be hella tough, at least until I reaclimate (sp?) to early wake ups. BUT-- let none of MY hang-ups dissuade you. Like I said, tons of folks go straight into the X and have great experiences. My neurosis is my baggage.

Got Sculpt 1-2 done today. Wasn't among my strongest workouts, but I earned a sticker on my calendar. I'll take it.

Best all!
Cormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:33 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 300/273/180

Height: 5'11

I did sculpt 1-2 today. The only weight I have is a 30 pound dumbbell and I knew using that for everything was going to kill me so I tried out the resistance band that came with it ( 20 lb magenta one ). It was a little awkward trying to use the resistance band. I didn't know where to step or how exactly to do the exercises with it. I just looked at the guy in the background and tried to mimic him. I wish tony would tell me how to correctly do them, in like a pre-work out weight lifting guide or even when we are doing them. When I woke up, my calves are so freaking tight, it hurt to walk. Everything else was okay. I got through today better than yesterday. The only difficult part was the dreaded 7x3. I did them all but I did it the girl way. I know I would of been struggling if I tried to do it regular. The resistance band does work very well. Once I get used to it more, I think it will be easier to move around and adjust with or I just might get some 15 or 20 lb dumbbell. It feels good being able to get through both sets. Now the hard part is keeping on routine and not breaking my diet, but I think this time I will make it all the way.
brandon43512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #36  

WTG Brandon. For me it is always the thighs that hurt for a week. Stairs become a serious challenge -- I end up doing them like a toddler (landing both feet on each step).

Day 18/90 Done. Sweat 1-2. Made it all the way through today, without breaks. It is still a struggle, especially the first 2 segments, but I think that we are moving to 3-4 next week, even though I don't really feel ready. Knees up arms up is still the biggest challenge, not so much the heart rate but the tiredness in the arms. My shoulders are screaming by the end. And, although it has been about 3 years since we actually stuck with the program long enough to make it to 3-4, I remember it as not only longer, but quite a bit faster. I will have to check my ego at the door for sure.

Off to work. Have a great day all.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #37  

I can't tell you much it means to me to have people to do this with....

I got through the Sweat 1-2 today... Did much more than I did last time. I did all the abs. It wasn't pretty and I had to stop a couple of times but I did them... The Yoga part I actually got through. Again it wasn't pretty either but I survived it. Felt great afterwards. I was sweating something fierce.

As soon as I was done I had to go coach softball. I must have been still on the adrenaline because I ran with them today. Again not pretty but we sure did have a lot of fun

Cormac ~ I will never be able to do the 7/7/7 without thinking of you 7/2/4.... too funny...I too have trouble with the arms and the knees.. I think it is because my arms are still sore from the day before.

Brandon ~ I am doing my push ups the same way.. think once I get through the 7/7/7 I will try to do them on my toes. I am using 5lbs and I am not struggling. I would love to bump it up to 8lbs but all i have are 10 15 and 20. I might try the bands next week. Don't give up.. You only have 87 more days right?

Hope everyone has a great night.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:34 AM   #38  

Quote:
I got through the Sweat 1-2 today... Did much more than I did last time.
Awesome awesome awesome! And then you threw in running? HA -- I am laughing because I am thinking about last Saturday, when we had unseasonably beautiful weather and I suggested to DH that we take a bike ride. He reacted as if I had suggested that we complete the Iditerod. "A bike ride? A bike ride? We already worked out! You want to do extra?" I rode alone.

Day 19/90. We haven't pushed play yet, but I am all suited up and we'll be doing so shortly [I trick myself into working out by forcing myself to put on the outfit--I am lazy enough that I figure "once I've gone to all *that* trouble . . . ."]

Brandon -- you still with us? Let us know! Off to the salt mine--have a great day all.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #39  

Hubby has the day off so we are going to work out together.... should be interesting..... I work tonight and tomorrow night so it is going to be interesting how I put working out in that schedule and of course it is the dreaded cardio....

I weigh in for weight watchers on Sunday. So I am interested how P90 is going to work with this..... gaining muscle and all..... of course if I put on any weight I will have to play the its all muscle card...We normally weigh in at 5pm but because the leader's daughter dance recital we will be weighing in at 12pm. So since I work then go straight to church it is the equivalent of a day person working all day then weighing in at 11pm at night. So I am expecting some gain just for that reason..... Oh let the excuses fly...

Hubby is back from dropping the kiddies off at school so I am going to go knock out this workout....

Anyone flexing in front of the mirror expecting to see muscles pop yet? I am... LOL
Old 04-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #40  

I've decided that I'm only going to work out for 6 days a week just so my body has one day to completely rehabilitate. But I'm not going to count the days off I take as a part of my 90 plan. When I started P90, I was at 280, but now it says I dropped down to 275. I didn't know if this was normal to drop 1-2 pounds a day when they say that should be a week.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #41  

Hey Brandon!

Actually you should count the rest days! The program is only supposed to be done 6 days a week--three sculpt and three sweat (on alternating days), followed by a rest day. So, as designed, you only end up doing
78 workouts on P90 (13 weeks, 6 days a week).

Most folks do 6 straight, followed by a rest, but there's no reason you can't take a rest day at whatever point you want during the week. And there's no reason you shoudn't be counting them (not that you have to).

In any event--WOW--five lbs.? Crazy! I will be lucky to lose five lbs. in 90 days! I've been pretty much stuck for the last 18 days -- up a lb., down a lb. This is the norm for me though, so I am going to try not to worry about it. I didn't lose much last time either, but I did drop several sizes. So, to avoid frustration I need to learn to focus on inches, not the scale.

So, we got it done today--Sculpt 1-2. I upped my weights on a few things, I like to shoot for "failure" at 8-10 reps. I don't believe the myth about "bulking up," seems like this idea has been debunked. Tomorrow we have one more Sweat 1-2, then Sunday is rest day, then on Monday we are going to try level 3-4. Yikes. On our first round we didn't move to 3-4 until Day 46, so this may be premature. If so, we'll just drop it back down.

Brem-- I cannot wait to hear how the "group" workout went. I am still laughing about your DH's running dialogue during the workout ("did 'x' hurt your calves?" "how are we supposed to do 'y'?") LOL. I am expecting comedic genius in your reporting.

Have a great night all!

Last edited by Cormac; 04-09-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #42  

I HATE WORKING OUT ON SATURDAYS. No, for real though. I mean I really hate it. Especially because for us Saturday is a "sweat" day. Longer workout, and then Tony throws in the abs. Ick. For that reason, we *may* change the order of our workouts next week -- Sweat on M-W-F, Sculpt T-TH-S. Of course, come Monday morning when faced with a Sweat day, I may very well change my mind.

Okay, whining is DONE. So is Day 20/90. I will say that knowing that I only have 7 (or 8, depending on when I take pics) workouts left before I have to take the dreaded 30 day photos helped me today. I'm getting into "last chance" workout mode. It is comical how easy it is to trick myself. I mean, it is not like anyone saw my day 1's, so why should it matter what the 30's look like? I don't know -- just how my mind works. The stickers on my calendar are the other mission-critical mind-trick. It has been 3 years (YEARS people) since I stuck with a program for 30 days straight, and many days it is only the thought of getting to glue on another sticker that gets me through. Have I mentioned that I also set my alarm clock and watch as many as 20 minutes ahead so I can get places on time? Drives DH bananas, since he never knows what time it is.

Ah well, in any event, we did get it done, and the very best part of the whole workout (as it is every Saturday) was getting to shout (in unison, as we do every Saturday) "OH NO YOU WON'T!" when Tony said "Okay everyone, we'll see you tomorrow." Have I mentioned that I love rest days?

Off to shower then the dentist. Yuck. Who makes a dentist appointment for noon on a Saturday? Me, that's who. Have a great day all.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #43  

Just got done with the Sculpt 1-2 after my day off. My muscles weren't as sore so I think I got a better work out by waiting, but boy, my arms are shaky now. Those resistance bands kick your butt! I don't feel like they give my biceps enough work so after my work out I do 10 sets of 5 with my 30 lb dumbbell. My arms are like jello now. I actually had beads of sweat pouring off my face.

Checked the scale again, lost another pound. I really don't think this is right. Maybe since I'm doing so much, I'm burning enough calories to lose this much a day? I guess I won't complain until I hit that wall. It feels nice to get the work out out of the way so I can just put it behind me for the day.

My sisters/brother-in-laws birthday party is tonight so I have that to look forward to. Keep it up everyone!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #44  

Let me say that I am sooooo.... Brandon we survived one week!!!! Woohooo!!! After working all night then grocery shopping, I came home and did the sweat 1-2... looking good feeling good. Seriously it looks pitiful but I survived it. It can only get better. I keep telling myself that I will never be this out of shape again...

Brandon ~ you are doing awesome! My scales go up and down daily and I only officially weigh in on Sundays during weight watchers. i am a little nervous because we are weighing in earlier and I will not have enough sleep so I am sure water retention will be an issue. I hope you had a great time at the birthday party!

Cormac ~ I agree Saturday workout suck. But we have Sunday off I can't wait to see your update pics. I might not do my day 30 pic on here but I might do day 300 if all goes well

Quick update on working out with hubby... not happening again..... One he is gasey... It is hard enough to listen to Tony then add the fact that my eyes are watering and my nose hairs are disintegrating. Two, he saw this work out more as a couples moment.... Wanting to do exercise "together" and making inappropriate gestures and comments throughout the video.
It takes all I got to motivate my fat butt to get in the living room and push play... unfortunately I couldn't find Rob's stop, pause, or mute button. Add the fact that he felt the need to instruct me on the proper way to pause at the top of a bicep curl. Which I was doing I thought... We did go for a walk afterwards with the dogs so it ended on a happy note. He thought it was great but I am sure that it will be quite a while before we do that again.

Ok... hope everyone has a great day off and I will let you know how the weigh in goes tomorrow..

Let's hug it out....
Old 04-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #45  

^^^^^ HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. OMGoodness, that was even funnier than I was hoping for. HAPPY RECOVERY DAY! Good luck at WW today, and try not to be discouraged if the #'s are not what you are hoping for. I am about to post a lonnng excerpt from an article that Chalean Johnson has on her blog. I was gonna post a link, but I don't have enough posts to put up links yet. Anyway, the gist is that it is very common to see an increase on the scale in the first 2-3 weeks of a new exercise program. This increase is NOT a "weight gain" -- just the body holding water in an effort to protect the muscles. Hard to convince yourself of this when it happens (trust me -- for the last 2 weeks I've been thinking WTH? Why am I GAINING WEIGHT?) It does go away though. For the past 3 weeks I have been up a lb., down a lb., zero net loss, and then yesterday, "WHAM" a 3 lb. loss? Well, not really 3 "pounds," as Chalean explains. Apparently just the body finally letting go of the water. I have noticed in the past that I lose more "weight" in the week *after* I finish a program (Slim in Six, in particular) than I do while I am doing the program. Never made any sense to me until I read this article.

In any event, good luck today but *ignore* any setback -- it is temporary. It even happens to Chalean herself when she runs races.

Have a great day and let us know how it goes! (And here comes the lonnng excerpt):

Probably the most common question I get when I release a new exercise program is, “Help! I’m gaining weight! Am I doing something wrong?” This is a common phenomena with any new exercise program, Turbo Kick, Turbo Jam, Hip Hop Hustle, you name it! It’s especially common (and temporary) with intense strength training programs like ChaLEAN Extreme or Tony Horton’s P90X.

The motivation to start a new exercise program is almost always to lose weight loss. However, what most personal trainers know and most at-home exercisers do not, is that a new exercise program often can cause an immediate (and temporary) increase on the scale. (Notice I didn’t say weight gain! I’ll explain.) This common increase in the scale is also the reason why perhaps millions of people start and then quickly quit their resolution to get fit.

The temporary weight gain explained: When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and “unfamiliar” the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to “protect and defend” the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen with fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

Most people are motivated enough to put up with this temporary muscle soreness. Yet, many, especially those who really need immediate weight loss to keep them motivated in those first couple of weeks become discouraged and quit!

When I worked with a group of 70 test participants during the development stages of ChaLEAN Extreme, this happened. Who was the most upset and discouraged? You guessed it… the women! I’m happy to report with absolutely every single woman (and man) in our group, the weight increase was temporary and never lasted more than 2 weeks before they started to see a major drop in the scale. However, these people had the advantage of working with someone who was able to explain to them why this was happening and assure them the weight would come off if they stuck to the nutrition plan and stayed true to the program.

For those of you who are following the ChaLEAN Extreme phase plan, keep in mind that when you start each phase, your body will be “in shock” again. Don’t be surprised or discouraged if you experience a temporary gain on the scale the first week of each phase.

My own personal example of this is running 10K’s. I don’t do it very often, maybe 1 or 2x a year. Even though I run on a regular basis, when you run a race you push much harder. It’s natural for me to be “insanely” sore the next day. Its also very common for me to see the scale jump 4 pounds the next day from forcing fluids post race and the resulting DOMS. Even though I know the cause of it, it’s still a bummer. We’re all human and hard work should mean “results”. Hard work equals results, but our bodies are amazing machines and they know how to protect us from hurting our selves. Soreness forces you to give those muscles a break Ultimately you will lose the weight and you will change your metabolism in the process.