Old 01-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #1  
1st grade teacher

S/C/G: 250/189.9/130

Height: 5"2'

Default Am I do overweight for P90x???

Hi, I was planning to start p90x next month but was reading the paperwork and am getting scared. Is it possible for me to do it? You can see my stats. I should be about 195lbs by then. Any thoughts?

you know what normal people are losing in 90days? DO you know if I have to eat as much calories as it tells me??? (2400) I tried the website, but couldn't find my answers. Any help or redirection to other posts would be a great help!

Thanks
Air81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I just received P90x and I'm going to do it although I expect I'll modify it a bit. As for the diet, I'm going to be following my own diet.

One thing to remember is that even if you only do 50% of the program (heavily modifying/taking breaks/etc), it should still give you a good workout. You can always repeat the program.

Although I've heard other people mention doing Power 90 prior to P90x if you are a beginner to weight training (I'm not a beginner to weight training).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #3  

P90X was designed as a program for people who are already in good shape who want to go to the next level. The nutrition guide is also written for those people. That said, I did a full 90 days of P90X and lost 30 pounds doing it. I was in horrible shape, and felt like my heart was going to explode 10 minutes into the first workout.

I learned to modify and take breaks when needed. I paused the dvd as needed so I still did the whole workout but just took longer. Within a couple of weeks, I was able to keep up with the workouts without pausing them. If you're going to do the program, don't hesitate to modify and take small breaks when you need them.

As far as the nutrition guide is concerned, just put t away for another time. Find a caloric requirements calculator online somewhere and figure out how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. Then add the calories you burn from the workouts to that number. Then plan for a 500-600 calorie deficit each day. In other words, eat about 500-600 calories less than what you need to maintain. For example, I currently need about 3000 calories a day to maintain my current weight. That number takes into consideration the 700-800 calorie I burn each day with my current workout program. I am still losing weight so, I try to eat no more than 2400 calories a day. That allows for a healthy weight loss of 1 1/2 to 2 pounds per week. Use a website like my fitness pal track you daily intake and you will start seeing results pretty quick. I would also suggest doing the Lean Version the first time.

Hope that helps a little. Just be careful, and if the program is too much for you right now, try Power 90, and save P90X for later.
rt1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #4  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I weighed around 200lbs when I did P90x. There is a 'fit test' included in the book. Take the test and see what you think. You can always try a few of the workouts without starting the rotation. I suggest Arms and Shoulders, my favorite!

I didn't follow the diet, but did eat a sensible plan. I think I lost 8lbs. I got a sinus infection between months 2 and 3, which didn't help, LOL, so my 3 month rotation actually lasted 4 months. Recovery month in the middle.

I agree with RT, I consider the X a program to gain muscle not to lose weight. Most of the success shots I've seen regarding P90x are of 'normal' people who get 'ripped' by adding muscle. I could tell I had gained muscle in my arms, but I have heard of people who, like RT, do lose weight. I did the X with a group on online people, at a DVD exercise forum, two years ago, and as I recall the most weight anyone in the group lost was close to 15lbs.

HTH
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

There are modifications for every exercise.

It is not designed for people who are out-of-shape (doesn't say overweight, just not out-of-shape), but you can modify it. For example, when the men are pumping out 20 pull-ups, you can use rubber bands (there will be a person demonstrating this). If you can't do standard pushups, do knee or wall pushups.

Take breaks when needed.

And repeat! Each cycle, you will improve greatly. You don't need to finish your P90X experience in 90 days. You can redo it over and over again.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote