Old 08-14-2009, 07:40 AM   #16  
Lose the holiday lbs!

S/C/G: 174/163.8/150

Height: 5.7 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by losingitandlosingitwell View Post
My younger (in college) brother is super-fit.
My older (post-doctorate) brother is not so fit.
I'm not fit.

We got (from younger brother) the P90X program and are each committed to doing one of the versions. Younger bro is doing "classic", Older bro and I are doing the "lean" version. I decided I was in on the program because I like the less-is-more approach of the DVDs. They just do the workout. The cast is intimidating, though. Let's just say they would never put me even in the back of the room!

Here are a couple ground rules we decided on for each other:
  1. Take the pretest before you attempt the real deal. (I'm going to try attaching the pretest for those of you who are curious to see if you fit the minimum requirements before wasting your money buying the whole program. I personally don't want to have to buy the other (also expensive) workout programs in addition to this one, gift or otherwise!)
  2. Learn / know how to safely and appropriately perform each exercise first, before attempting, or doing it half-aced, or INJURE YOURSELF! One reason getting a personal trainer is great is to learn how to safely perform exercises...
  3. Go at YOUR OWN pace! Don't feel bad about YOUR pace! Don't feel bad about doing fewer reps or pausing the dvd. In my opinion, doing P90X (or any strength training program) at your pace is better than not doing it at all. For example, I'm not going to bother even attempting pull-ups this time around. I'm substituting those exercises (and there are a lot of them) with resistance bands and tricep exercises that I am able to effectively perform.

So far, we've been taking the pre-test (a great 40 min workout in itself, actually) and running through the DVDs (and there are a LOT of them) but will be starting "Day 1" of the 90 consecutive days on February 1.

I hope this info helps! Wish me luck!
thats really good advice! i just got the p90x. reading through all the material. and noway can i do a single pull up! so i am thinking about substituting that for something else.

can you tell me what you do instead of the pull ups?

do you think i should get the resistance bands and use those instead of the pull ups? which resistance bands are the best to get?

and i can only do push ups against the wall. i was thinking of getting p90. but now that i got p90x i dont want to have to get ANOTHER programe. so i will do what you say, substitute some of the exercises and go at my own pace.

thanks!!

i'm going to start next week. i just had a quick watch of the first dvd. and boy its tough

Last edited by Echo; 08-14-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #17  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

You don't have to able to do a pull up. The DVDs show you that you can substitute pull ups by working with a resistance band. You will still need a pull up bar. Tony clearly states in the booklet that you can do the exercises even without being able to do a pull up.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #18  
Lose the holiday lbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
You don't have to able to do a pull up. The DVDs show you that you can substitute pull ups by working with a resistance band. You will still need a pull up bar. Tony clearly states in the booklet that you can do the exercises even without being able to do a pull up.
Thanks Tomato!
Old 08-15-2009, 02:06 AM   #19  
Size 6 here I come!

S/C/G: 166/137/129

Height: 5'3"

These videos sound like they work, going to checkout ebay!!
mars540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #20  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

I finish the program on Tues. 13 weeks I did DOUBLES which you can read about in the book. You can use the band instead of doing pull ups which I did and I had FANTASTIC results. I bought an "Iron Gym" pull up bar{ it fits in your door frame] at Wal mart you can also buy bands there if you do not have a Walmart most sporting goods stores will have or online. Will be under $30. They do make something that the bands can hook to but I don't know anything about them.......Now for PUSHUP if you can do them against the wall you can do them on your knees. He shows some one doing that in every instance. YOU Have the program for the small investment more I think you will be happy you did IT IS NOT EASY BUT DOABLE AND WOW YOU will be so happy you did just modify things to start. And" TONY SAYS DO YOUR BEST FORGET THE REST!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #21  
Lose the holiday lbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devadiva View Post
I finish the program on Tues. 13 weeks I did DOUBLES which you can read about in the book. You can use the band instead of doing pull ups which I did and I had FANTASTIC results. I bought an "Iron Gym" pull up bar{ it fits in your door frame] at Wal mart you can also buy bands there if you do not have a Walmart most sporting goods stores will have or online. Will be under $30. They do make something that the bands can hook to but I don't know anything about them.......Now for PUSHUP if you can do them against the wall you can do them on your knees. He shows some one doing that in every instance. YOU Have the program for the small investment more I think you will be happy you did IT IS NOT EASY BUT DOABLE AND WOW YOU will be so happy you did just modify things to start. And" TONY SAYS DO YOUR BEST FORGET THE REST!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
thanks devadiva!! that's really helpful! will check out the bands ! i love that - do your best forget the rest! great stuff!!
Old 08-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 135/129/110

Height: 5'3"

My husband and I are starting this (power 90) program once we receive it. We ordered off of the BeachBody website (we did not order any of the supplements or add-ons). I am very excited, as I've heard really great things about it! Would love to continue hearing more success stories and positive outlooks. I have about 20 pounds I'd love to shed after having 2 children, although I am still nursing my 15 month old, so not sure if I"m going to be able to do it very quickly. I've been running on our treadmill and have lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks, along with calorie cutting. My husband needs to shed 30-40 lbs, and he is also very excited, so I'm really hoping this is something we can do together (early each morning, before the kids are awake) to get us back to where we were even just 6 years ago!
keodenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #23  

Hi everyone,

Congrats to everyone here doing their best at shedding the weight, lots of great stories here. I have finished the P90X program and had great results! Lost 25 pounds and 7% bodyfat! and I feel great. This is a tough program so try not to get discouraged right away, just hang in there and do what you can, each day you will get just a bit stronger than the previous. You won't be dissapointed if you hang in there.

Echo, what I did for pullups initially was to use a chair and do them assisted, just use one foot on a stool or chair to "assist" with the pullup till your neck gets over the bar. It doesn't matter if you can't do one this will help. The only way to get better and stronger at pullups is to do them.

Take care,
vinfit90
vinfit90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #24  
Lose the holiday lbs!

i'm on day 3 of p90x, and i LOVE IT!! i feel sooooooooo great afterwards! all those endorphins release. i feel relaxed afterwards. great stress buster.

i go at my own pace, and modify the exercises to my own level.

Tony is so awesome!! i love the structure, and the worksheets etc. and recording everything. its very motivating. love it!!

Last edited by Echo; 08-20-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #25  
Lose the holiday lbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinfit90 View Post
Hi everyone,

Congrats to everyone here doing their best at shedding the weight, lots of great stories here. I have finished the P90X program and had great results! Lost 25 pounds and 7% bodyfat! and I feel great. This is a tough program so try not to get discouraged right away, just hang in there and do what you can, each day you will get just a bit stronger than the previous. You won't be dissapointed if you hang in there.

Echo, what I did for pullups initially was to use a chair and do them assisted, just use one foot on a stool or chair to "assist" with the pullup till your neck gets over the bar. It doesn't matter if you can't do one this will help. The only way to get better and stronger at pullups is to do them.

Take care,
vinfit90
WOW !! way to go!! thats fantastic !!

Thanks for the advice about the chair. !! i will try that !
Old 08-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 292/199/165

Height: 5'8"

Hey! I just started P90X. Im not following any specifics to start, I wanna get through some DVDs and try this and that. I figure as long as Im alternating muscle groups and cardio Im golden. I just listen to my body really.

I've done the ab ripper. HARD!! I just modified anything I couldnt do, and when I feel like it is too much I stop and do different types of crunches and ab moves I learned at the gym.

I've done the Kempo (LOVE THE KEMPO!), the Plyometrics (!!! SO DIFFICULT but I got through 50 minutes of it- my heart rate was crazy but I felt GOOD), and the Cardio x. Once I feel like I can get through each DVD without burning out Im going to start it according to Tony. I absolutely love working out with him though, he keeps you motivated. Im interested to see everyones progress!!
ValMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 285/150/135

Height: 5'4"

I started P90X last week and I am enjoying it. I'm not in amazing shape- still working on that- but I'm building up. I can't do the pull ups- I use a band instead (tubing, maybe it's called?). I also can't do as many pushups as they can on the video, and I can't go as deep into the pushup as they do- in plank, I can only go about half way down, and I have to take breaks. But I'm working my way into it. I think if you're at a moderate fitness level, you can do the program with your own modifications until you can build up to a higher level. I've lost an inch my waist and my hips this week, and I've lost 5 pounds this week, which is exciting. So it's working it seems.
onesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 124/119/110

Height: 5'4"

P90X is what got me superfit, and then I fell off the wagon.

I feel like I'm too out of shape to even start it again, unless I totally modify it!
DogMomNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 190/180/150

Height: 5'6"

I have tried both the lean and the classic version... I get so sore from doing it that I barely move for 2 days... I am trying 30 day shred for awhile, until I get enough strength to try it again... its really hard for someone who isn't in shape at all!
dellerina is offline   Reply With Quote