Old 03-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Default getting in the groove...focus on cardio or weights first?

I have a hard time sticking to an exercise routine just because I'm so out of shape and it's so hard in the beginning. I like working out with videos (no way I'd go to a gym, hehe). I have 30 pounds to lose...doesn't sound like alot... but I guess it's enough to make working out hard.

I hate the feeling sore feeling in the beginning with weights and I feel like such a wimp for not lifting heavier weights or not doing the whole workout or all the reps. Cardio is hard for me. Walking 2 miles at 3-4mph on the treadmill wipes me out just to give an idea. Doing some of the yoga and stretching is tough for me too.

I tried getting into Chalene Extreme...but honestly, even though it says it;s for everyone, the compound moves seem hard for me to do right now (same with Firm workouts that have them) it feels like I need some base strength to even do them. So I think I should try workouts that just do one thing at a time for now.

Should I focus on my cardio endurance first so maybe lifting weights would be "easier"...or work on strength so maybe I can go longer and harder on my cardio?

Any slightly beginner videos or rotations that will help me gain strength and cardio quickly? I don't want something so easy I never make any progress or its at a snails pace. I'm not a Leslie Sansone fan... I like the Firm, Cathe, Beachbody workouts, Jillian Michaels, Joyce Vedral, Jari Love.

Last edited by ringmaster; 03-08-2009 at 05:49 PM.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201.8/155.2/158

Height: 5 7

whats that old saying....slow and steady wins the race, so why not try doing both only less rather than 2 miles start with one mile and alternate daily with the weights if you like some of the workouts that you have try doing only concentrated areas rather than whole body and do start with very or no weight

Ex. Mon Cardio, Tue Upper body wed cardio thurs lower body friday cardio sat core sunday off

Start with a half hour per day remember you can always increase times speeds, and weights the goal is to set your self up for success not failure.

hope this helps
cdawnfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/205/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I agree with Cdawn, slow and steady. Doing something, no matter how small is better than doing nothing. I began walking outside, then moved to the treadill, then to alternating weights and yoga. As long as you are moving, you will succeed.

Good luck and keep trying new things.
PleaseLuise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 203/199/ST:145/ LT:125

I would recommend both. I recently got the "daily dozen", denise austin dvd. I really like it. it has all your activities planned for a week and it mixes it up so you don't get bored. Plus it includes a yoga workout, strength and cardio. The sessions are only 12 mins long so it makes it bearable but it will get your heart rate up there. it is high energy, low impact. I lose about 150-175 calories per 12 min session.

* ps - Some people don't like denise austin because she is cheery and cheerleader-like. I love the affirmation she gives though, especially with a lot of negative self-talk that many women have about themselves.

Last edited by beachbum13; 03-08-2009 at 10:06 PM.
beachbum13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #5  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

You said you like Cathe, I do too if you do like her, and have an idea of what she's like, how about maybe doing a workout of hers but modifying it so you don't feel overwhelmed. Even after almost 3 months I am still overwhelmed by her stepwork choreography so I just substitute something else that still makes me breathe hard.

I also recommend doing both cardio and strength, even at beginning levels.

Cathe has some routines that are cardio and strength intervals, and with the strength part, you could sub lighter weights or no weights at all, but you will be building endurance while you do the workout. congrats on getting started and being motivated!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 293/248/150

Height: 5'8"

Start with however much you can do. Don't push yourself farther than you feel you're able to.

My husband has a background in athletics, and is being my "trainer." The first day I got on my elliptical, he had me get off after only ten minutes. He said the biggest mistake beginners make is to try to do too much too soon. The next day their bodies ache, they get discouraged and quit.
Lachelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think some form of strength training is indispensable. But personally, I would start with cardio because I so hate the feeling of being so easily winded.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #8  
Gotta Lose to Win

S/C/G: 300(+).not sure. 160

Height: 5'4"

Personally for me, I LOVE Richard Simmons!! LOVE LOVE LOVE HIM!! I mix that up with Leslie Sansones Walk Away the Pounds. For me, Im starting with cardio first, cause I want to lose that fat. But I have a slightly different question, Is it better to do cardio and toning together? I have this fear that If I loose all the weight with only cardio, that by the time I go to do the toning of it, it won't shrink up. LOL
CrazyHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote