Old 01-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #31  
cj

S/C/G: 185/175/130

Height: 5' 2"

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Yesterday was easier but I think I was so driven on not repeating the previous days mistakes that I ended up with a caloric intake of way to little for the day and by bedtime was starving and dragging.

I think I was focusing on drinking my water intake more than food and found myself not able to get through the workout without feeling sick and light headed. If you can consider 15 min a workout. I really need to get a better balance of meal time, fluids, and exercise.

My boys are on a great schedule but while they are actually being still and eating I tend to try to get everything I can done while they are eating, bathing, or at pre-k.

I feel like I just run out of time and the daily routine gets in the way of me making the time to take care of me. I guess that goes for most mothers. Why is it that we feel the need to put ourselves last and just deal with it?

While I sit here typing this I am rattling off the list of things that never ends, dishes need to be done, dinner needs to be coordinated and cooked, my oldest needs to be picked up in 45 min., laundry needs to be folded, the little one needs a snack, I need to get a workout in today, and I have less than three hours to get it all done before my husband comes home and takes over the living room (only room with a TV in our tiny apartment that is big enough to workout in).

Then of course it starts over because dishes are never actually done, same with laundry. Do all mothers feel like they are fighting an uphill battle?

Well I better hop to it or I'll make an excuse and not do it.
cjxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 246/244/143

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjxl View Post
I feel like I just run out of time and the daily routine gets in the way of me making the time to take care of me. I guess that goes for most mothers. Why is it that we feel the need to put ourselves last and just deal with it?
Then of course it starts over because dishes are never actually done, same with laundry. Do all mothers feel like they are fighting an uphill battle?
I don't know about ALL moms, but I sure feel that way. In fact I often find myself lacking motivation do do much in the house at all, simply because I ask myself "what's the point? I will have to start over tomorrow or even later today"

And most mothers do tend to put... well, pretty much everyone else's needs first, so I share that too! But recently I found myself stretched so thin that it started influencing negatively my ability to take care of my family. That scared me and I made a commitment to take better care of myself and ask for help when I need it. So I talked to dh and told him I need regular me time, and he agreed to take the girls on saturday afternoon for a couple of hours so I can read, sleep, take a warm aromatherapy bath with lots of candles, or do anything else I feel like that week (within reason, I won't be hitting the spa every week!)

For me daily exercise actually does a lot, and eating regular, balanced meals is also a big part of it IMO.

Undereating is common with moms, too, especially if we are trying to watch what we eat. Personally I don't count calories or grams or anything because I find that it makes me obsess too much. I just try to learn proper portions for the different foods and count portions instead. So in an average day I usually shoot for 1-2 portions of fruit, unlimited fibrous veggies, 2-4 portions of protein, 1-2 portions of starchy veggies or grains, and 2 Tbsp oil, and lots of water (Ideally 1 gallon, but I don't always make it).

What's important is that you have a goal, and you are progressing in the right direction. It doesn't have to be big giant steps, sometimes baby steps are much better because they are gentler and we are less likely to slip back.

Upwards and onwards sister, we are in this together
That's what I shoot for, I often eat less or more but at least I don't obsess - my mental health is just as important as my physical health
FitMomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #33  

My exercise today: 20 minutes of Prevention Dance it Off! fun! (the exclamation point is part of the title, btw)

Last edited by FitMomEB; 01-10-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #34  
cj

I didn't actually get a workout done today but I felt like I was going, going, going all day. Got up at five, spent hours scanning photos into the computer from our recent vaca. before my two little tornadoes got up, then breakfast, stripping/making beds, dishes, laundry started, then baths, dressing, lunch, and off to pre-k and daycare.

My two hours of no kids time was spent grocery shopping, running errands, and paying bills. I managed to get the last bag of groceries put away in time to swap the laundry stuff some lunch in my face and get back in the car.

Then its pick them both up, home, snack, laundry yet again, make another bed with clean sheets, put away dishes, start dinner, eat dinner, clean-up dinner, dishes, laundry, snack for the boys, another bath (go figure), and now here I sit waiting for the last load to get done drying so it can be folded and put away. But first I have to get the tornadoes settled down, teeth brushed, story, and bed.

Then I can finally get the last of the laundry folded, put away, and dinner dishes put away before I roll into bed.

Tomorrow is another day. I kind of feel like I'm not making much progress with physical activity. I need to make a time to do a workout and stick with it no matter what else needs to be done. I am doing great with my portion sizes and water intake, so small steps, I'll get there.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #35  
cj

I actually managed to get in an entire 1 hour workout yesterday, Gilad- Elite Forces, cardio. It was great. Today I am sore; back, shoulders, and butt. Hooray for me!

I decided that there was no way I was going to get the living room to myself to workout, so I took the portable DVD player out of the car and hooked it up in my room on a little stool. May not be all that big but now I don't have the excuse of not having someplace to watch the workout. One excuse down!

I reached my water intake for the day and then some. I also did really well with my eating. Kept my portion sizes down, picked fresh instead of processed, but still had an intake of 1400-1600. Not excessive but more than I was hoping for.

I stopped keeping a running tally of my caloric intake and started adding it up at the end of the day. I still write it all down when I eat it even calories so I don't forget. But this way I don't deprive my body of anything it might be telling me I need due to maybe exceeding my daily allowable. I feel that is an easier way for me to lose healthier.

Today has gone well already just need to make myself push play. Hope eveyone else is feeling as good about themselves and their progress. One day at a time.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #36  
cj

Smile

Completed another one hour workout today. Gilad- Core and More. I am always disappointed after this workout for some reason. When I get done I never really feel like I worked out.

I'm never sure if I'm doing it right or not. I have the hardest time breathing and holding my ads tight at the same time. I end up resetting, and resetting, and resetting. Hopefully once I lose some of the extensive layers of flab over my abs then it won't be so hard, or I won't feel like I'm doing it all wrong.

But since I didn't feel all that worked out I took my boys bundled them up and walked them to the park to play. That wasn't a workout either but something is better than nothing.

Of course when I get home and start to make a healthy dinner my significant other informs me that he had already ordered pizza because he was tired of all the veggies and wanted something else. and that's what I wanted to do to him.

I was very good, ate one piece and made myself a salad. I don't know how many calories are in a piece of cheese pizza, extra cheese , half sausage. Is anybody drooling yet! But I can almost guarantee its a lot.

Sorry I seem to be posting and posting and posting, I just like to try to keep myself accountable because that helps me keep my goals in sight.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #37  

CJ,

You really don't need to apologize for posting a lot! I'm just sorry I haven't been able to post in reply or just to check in, Stella is really crabby, she is still recovering from the stomach flu and I'm not getting a whole lot of sleep

No exercise per se toda, but I did take a walk on the beach and playsed some volleyball - we went to Long Island, I love the beach in winter!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #38  
cj

I didn't get to workout yesterday either but I did go rollerskating with my boys. Not much of an exercise since I couldn't really skate. I had to stay with them, hold them up, slow and steady. I did manage to get a couple laps around by myself but that was about it.

My water intake suffered due to us being out and about most of the day but my food intake was under control.

Don't apologize Elisa, everybody gets so busy now-a-days. I understand. I mostly just post to keep myself honest with me. Does no good to cheat when you know you cheated.

Sorry to hear that your daughter is sick. That really takes it out of ya. No sleep, no energy, no peace. Aweful!

Today I just feel like I am dragging. I don't want to do anything, I want to nap. I had to bring my little one, Seth, in for a sick child appiontment this morning. He has a touch of pneumonia, so antibiotics, fluids, and Rx cough suppressant. Now I know why he was so grumpy skating yesterday. He just didn't feel good. I have a feeling it's going to be a long week.

To top it off I finally decided to quit smoking, cold turkey. Its been a rough morning but I haven't caved yet. I'm hoping it will help me in the longrun to reach my goal weight. We'll see, wish me luck!
Old 01-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #39  
cj

Worked out today, 1 hour cardio. Day two of not smoking and I did really well today. My water intake is up, caloric intake down, and completed a workout. All in all a good day.

Yesterday was bad, I didn't workout, didn't meet my water intake, and it was the first day of not smoking. I found myself snacking, grabbing for anything to fullfill that hand to mouth craving. It was a really, really bad day.

I bought a bag of lollipops this morning to take the edge off but have only had to use one today. At 45 calories a piece I don't plan on using them unless I absolutely have to.

I starting to wonder if I should have waited to meet my goal before quiting because this is harder than I thought. I really feel like I'm going to explode at times. One day at a time.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #40  
cj

Today completed another 1 hr workout, Power and Grace - Gilad. I wasn't sure if I was going to do it today but I needed something to make me feel better.

This morning I found out a friend of mine was killed yesterday in Iraq. It just took all the fight right out of me. I found myself physically sick from my emotional pain.

Day three without a cigarette and if I was ever going to cave it would be now. But as long as I keep myself moving it seems to be alright.

I don't think I'm going to have to worry about my caloric intake today since my stomach doesn't seem to want much of anything put in it. I hope everybody else is doing better. When it rains it pours.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #41  
cj

Day five without a cigarette! I have managed to make it the entire week without buying, smoking, or lapsing. I have noticed the mindless snacking that I have to keep a close eye on. The hand to mouth syndrome has really put a damper on my caloric intake, especially at night when I have to fight snacking anyway. Now that I don't go outside to smoke the cravings are all that much worse.

I have managed to workout four days in a row. I completed Elite Forces Cardio (1 hour) yesterday, and Cuts and Curves (1 hour) today. Tomorrow will be cardio again, then Sunday Core and More. Monday is my day of rest (tredmill )

I figure if I can get my workout schedule down then work on the eating in small steps. Focus on water intake and hopefully the rest will fall into line. Hope everybody else is keeping up with their exercise. I'm starting to feel like the only one to bothers to stick with it anymore. Nobody posts.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:35 PM   #42  
cj

Good morning, bad evening. No smoking again today. Did about 40-45 minute cardio today but didn't finish the last 15-20 minutes just because I ran out of time.

Went to the movies with a friend and saw 27 Dresses. Very good chick flick. Predictable, but aren't they all. No soda, popcorn, or candy.

Then on the way home we stopped at Wendy's. There went the rest of the day. I got home and looked up the caloric intake on the computer and found that my chicken ceasar salad had more calories than a cheeseburger. What is fair about that. Think you're eating healthy then wham, so sorry salad dressing has more calories than a large fry. There is something seriously wrong with that equation.

Salad + Dressing = You could have had a #1 w/fries

The logic behind that baffles me. Other than that nothing else is new. Hope everyone else is still trying. I seem to be the only one left.

Oh well, anybody feel free to post if you're trying, ljust getting started, let us know if its working, or if you just feel like you don't want to go it alone. Cause in theory it really isn't hard to just push play but its so much easier to just not do it. There are many excuses that work. But you'll never change anything that way. Lets see if we can name a few.

1. Didn't have time

2. Too tired

3. Kids wouldn't leave me alone

4. No place to workout

5. Sick

6. Sore

Anybody else think of any that they use, come on we've all got them.

Last edited by cjxl; 01-19-2008 at 11:39 PM.