Old 08-25-2007, 08:42 AM   #1  

Default Has anyone tried tai chi??

I am looking for a stretching or tia chi video. Have you tried any? Thanks, DM
DaisyMaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have done tai chi, don't think it does anything for losing inches or weight , but it is good for balance and is painless, pretty much.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

I've done Tai Chi and I really liked it for stretching and relaxation purposes. Can't recommend a video though. Sorry!
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:41 AM   #4  

I've taken tai chi classes and I found it to be a very relaxing, meditative practice. Not sure how good it would be for getting in shape or losing weight, although I think it would be good for improving balance and mental accuity.
Sassygirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have two videos "Tai Chi: 6 Forms 6 Easy Lessons" with Dr. Paul Lam, and a cheapy tai chi video from the walmart bin, just titled Tai Chi.

Tai Chi, just like yoga, can be a good workout, because in addition to the "relaxation" types, there are also very strenuous, and faster paced forms of it (My videos are NOT of this type).

Once you get the hang of it, you can increase the speed of the moves and/or even use wrist and/or ankle weights during the moves to improve the workout.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:53 PM   #6  

I can tell you what Tai Chi video NOT to get. The one made by David Carradine (that actor in Kung Fu or whatever that show was he was in). He's just creepy in this video.
luja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 189/167/135

Height: 5'3"

Default pilates is good too

I took a Tai Chi class in college and found it stressed me out instead of relaxing me -- I just couldn't remember the order of the moves in the form, and found some of it just too weird. (Tossing rice at monkey??)

For stretching and toning, I like Pilates so far -- I have the beginning mat workout by Ana Caban and it is pretty good for starting out. I've also tried Yoga, which I find much more relaxing -- the workout book I have is very easy to follow and doesn't involve too many weird moves. I'm just bad about making a routine of either.
Magfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #8  

Taichi is more for balancing of the Qi in the body IMO. Slow and mostly practiced by those who have joint problems etc. They said they have lesser problems after doing Tai-chi. For me, I'm not keen to do so because its too slow and also because I'm afraid of getting a teacher thats not good with instructios like breathing in and out. Thats very important in terms of Tai-chi exercise.
Laneige is offline   Reply With Quote