Old 12-21-2006, 09:01 PM   #1  
omeomy

S/C/G: 275/269.5/155

Default Has anyone tried Walking Away The Pounds

Hi there just wondering if any one has tried Walking Away The Pounds .......
ogibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:02 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

Yes, I used to use it, and it was a really great program for me to start with. It was easy to modify for parts that were either too easy or too hard for me.
It's very good for beginners also, if you haven't been exercising regularly.

If you go to the Exercise forum or the Exercise Video forum and search on WATP, you'll find a lot of info! We've got a lot of people that have done well with it.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:05 AM   #3  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I agree with Jennifer. It is great for beginners, as I am one! I can actually DO it no problem, so I say yes it does work and yes like Jennifer said, it is easy to modify parts too that may be too hard or too easy for ya.

Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/245/145

Height: 5'4"

I started using WATP last January. I love it. I'm trying to get back into the routine after having a death in the family in November that threw me for a loop. Other than that lapse, I have done great and stayed with the exercise program. Food is still a struggle for me, but even with that I have lost 30 lbs and kept it off even while being off the workouts for a little over a month. I'm ready to get back into them full swing come January and get some more pounds off.

I agree, if you check out the exercise video forum you'll find a lot of WATP ladies
hoosiermomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

WATP rocks my world I do it for 30 minutes just about every day. I just started in October (then, it was only 4 days a week, and I've built up from there). I'm down at least 12 pounds from Thanksgiving (possibly a little more--I have a weigh-in tonight), and I wholeheartedly feel that adding WATP as my exercise (as opposed to the NOTHING I was doing before) has mad a big difference.

I also love it because I get very easily annoyed by many female aerobics instructors (for example, I cannot STAND Denise Austin ), but Leslie Sansone seems so real and genuine. Some of her older workouts are a bit cheesy (think leotards and bad art deco), but that was before it was called "Walk Away the Pounds" (I think it was something like "Walk Off Weight").
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:38 AM   #6  

So, I'm a bit curious. I'm not doing any specific program, but I do walk 4 or 5 times a week, about two miles, on some pretty hilly terrain. Sorta a freelance walking away pounds thing. How does that compare with this thing you all speak of?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:01 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I feel that I get a better workout with WATP than with regular walking (even on hilly terrain). It's more than just walking--it includes things like sidesteps, kneww lifts, kicks, arm movements, etc., so it works more muscles than just walking alone.

That's not to say regular walking isn't a great was to exercise--it's fabulous! If I miss my WATP morning workout, then I go for a 30-minute walk during the day instead. That way, I'm also not doing the same exact workout every day.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #8  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Thanks everyone for the advice and recommendation on WATP. I am going to try and find this. I get bored walking on treadmill all the time and am not able to do much on elliptical yet. Maybe this could help me with exercise, too.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Lilybelle, just yesterday I purchased a bunch of these videos from ebay, I got a very good deal on them. I hope I was allowed to say that., the ebay part. I am looking forward to getting started with them as well, I like to switch things up a bit from time to time.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 275/245/145

Height: 5'4"

I also feel like WATP is a better overall workout than just straight walking. Don't get me wrong, I still do the occassional treadmill or walking outside when the weather is nice for it, but I can actually FEEL that I've walked after doing a WATP. And in doing the moves I can feel my muscles working. I don't get that with just walking even a tougher, hilly walk.
hoosiermomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:35 PM   #11  
Releasing the inner hiker

I love WATP as well and I also think I get a better 30 minute workout using Leslie than walking outside, which I also do every day. The different moves, the resistance bands, and most importantly, the faster pace is what makes the difference. I can't keep up a fast pace outside, especially on hills.

However, while I can do the 4 mile WATP video, I have a problem walking the same distance outside. So while I feel I get a better workout inside, I don't think the 4 miles on carpet equates to 4 miles outside.

Last edited by Zeitgeist; 01-05-2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:04 PM   #12  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Just chiming in to say that I'm another one that loves them. If you want to "preview" them before buying, you might want to check your local library. My library has lots that can be borrowed.

Jen, when I wear my pedometer, I get about the same number of steps either way. But like you, I can keep up the faster pace of the DVD easier than I can while walking outside. I can do 4 or 5 miles WATP, but 4 or 5 miles outside kicks my tale!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #13  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

I looked for this tonite at Hastings and at Walmart and couldn't find it. We don't have a library in this little town. Will keep trying to find it. I'd like to change up my routine a little.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:35 PM   #14  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

lilybele,

I got mine at Walmart but you can also look at amazon.com and look online. Amazon has new tapes and some other places that sell "gently used" copies.

Sometimes the movie rental stores have some work out videos too but not a great selection.

I agree with the people posting that it's a good workout for a change of pace.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:26 AM   #15  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

I've been doing WATP for a good long while. I started with 1 mile and I am up to 4-5 miles (i do a 1 mile when I want to warm up for something else).

I like them because you have something to work up to. I now do the 2 & 3 miles with 3 lb weights and the walk strong with 8lb weights.

I think if I walked 4 miles outside my legs would probably get a better work out, but I would be doing all the arm (or Abs for some of her DVDVs) work along with it. So I think 4 miles WATP is a more balanced work out for your entire body. I also love doing the weight, has helped me start moving toward adding weight training back into my workout.

Also I tend to get board so I can do walk & Kick (interval walking with basic kickboxing) walk jog (walking and jogging) walk strong (walking with intervals of weight training).

I will say after all these months I have started trying to find something to break up my time with Leslie ( i think I have all her phrases imprinted in my head. WOuld be a good game who can remember the most....nice nice nice)

I just ordered prevention fitness walk DVDs and some other more aerobic-y videos. I do know no matter what else I try I will always use Leslie as my foundation.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote