Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/164/140

Height: 5'7"

Default 16 year old Newbie!!

Hey! I'm really excited I found this site. You guys seem to be really encouraging and that's exactly what I need! I lost 15 pounds on weightwatchers before my freshman year of high school. and the lowest weight i've been in the last 4 years is 139. Since my body has changed since then, I want to lose 24 pounds and see if I like where I'm at.

I'm a dancer and I keep getting the "bodytype" card by directors. & I'm sick of it. I want to audition for Disney in a year so I need to get my weight under control by then!!

Any tips to starting on these boards? What forum I should start on? & is there anything I should know or do in general?

Starting place please!!

Thanks!
Elyn

Last edited by Elynlovesyou; 11-14-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Elynlovesyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:58 PM   #2  
Think thin

Height: 5'2"

Hi Elyn and

Every week we have a new Great Featherweight Challenge thread where we talk about our goals for the week, as well as day-to-day progress and challenges. Every month we have a new Almost There thread where we talk about anything and everything. Just jump right in and start posting!
Jazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:10 PM   #3  

Welcome, Elyn! You are in a good place. Your stats are similar to mine (although I could almost be your gramma, LOL!) ... and so I can sympathize. What sort of plan are you wanting to follow to lose? When I first started, I ate mostly low-carb but counted the WW points and drank a TON of water. That got me from 175 to 160, and then after that I did WW Core for the rest of the weight (but watched the portions and still put everything into FitDay).

We're glad to have you!
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:02 AM   #4  

Kat,
I think I'm going to try WW. It's a matter of really getting motivated again. I keep cheating. :/ But tomorrow is a new day.

Ok. you mentioned fitday. Can you log foods that you eat outside of the house?

Also, why did you choose the Core Plan over Flex? Just wondering!

PS- my mother is older than you. don't stress
Old 11-15-2006, 10:01 AM   #5  

You can use FitDay for any foods that you can get the nutritional information for. They have a large database of foods, some brand and some generic, and then you can also create custom food entries for things you eat often. Also, dietfacts.com has a large database of foods, and most of them can be added to FitDay with a button at the bottom. Both places offer free accounts.

I chose Core because at the time, I had been eating low-carb and my WW leader told us it was a "WW version of South Beach". I know now that's not exactly true, but I suppose it was the only way she could think of to describe it. Basically it included whole, unprocessed foods. There are several other plans now that are pretty much the same but have a few differences. If I had it to do all over again, and had available THEN all the choices that are available NOW, I would have probably chosen to follow SugarBusters. I have an extensive family history of diabetes, and this is a recommended plan for that as well as for weight loss. One thing you have to remember is that Core uses all FF dairy, and FF has more sugar than lowfat or regular. Also, Core allows corn and white potatoes, which are both pretty high on the GI index and a trigger food for lots of people, so if those are dangerous foods (like you get started and can't stop!), you might want to stay away from them.

The Sonoma diet is another good one that you should check out. Also, there are several good books, such as SuperFoods Rx by Steven Pratt, M.D. or You: On a Diet by Drs. Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz. The links will take you to the different discussion areas where you can talk to people following the different plans and get an idea of what they're all about.
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 135/130/120

Height: 5'3"

Welcome Elyn! It's so cool to have someone from FL on here. lol. I really dont have any tips for you except the usual: Drink water, eat your fruits & veggies, & make SURE to exercise atleast every other day to keep your heart rate up.
superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #7  
Samantha

S/C/G: 136/129/112

Height: 4'11

when i was in high school, i was very active, ate pretty much the same except i played sports all the time. since then i pretty much sit at my desk all day at work and dont exercise. hence gained 20 lbs and i dont seem to want to exercise unless someone else is with me....How do you ladies push yourself to do it?
laydeebug3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:05 AM   #8  

sam,
well.. see. When I started high school i was 145. & then I tried doing too many things last year and gained up to around 150..

then I got so burnt out... I decided to homeschool 2 months ago.. and I gained around 15 pounds.

I sit all day doing work and no moving. I have auditions... which how i push myself. but its really hard at times.